My Attic Grow Room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by itsy, Mar 20, 2010.

1. #1 itsy, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
    So this is going to be my first grow, I plan on only growing one or two plants of White Rhino. My attic is about 5ff tall, and you can get inside from the main hallway from my house. I'm going to be creating access to the attic from my room. Inside my closet from the bedroom I'm creating a stealthy drop down ladder from the ceiling of my closet. My closet is directly below the corner of my attic. From there I'm going to be creating a cube or separate room in the attic if that makes sense. You climb up from my room and it will be basically a mini hidden room inside my attic. I'm going to create walls so you can't see or smell it from the regular attic. This is a genius idea, it's hard to explain though. I have some concerns though, it is very hot and humid in my attic and I have no AC. I also have a pretty big fear of the room catching on fire with the lighting + heat. Also I will need to connect some electrical sockets in the cube for the lights and hydroponic system. I was thinking of getting a big computer fan to put fresh air into my cube. Like I said, this is my FIRST grow, so I'm very new to growing and need some tips. Im gunna start working on the mini room today so I can post some pics soon.

2. hey bro. im doing the same, and built the walls also...dont forget insulation. i have some great tips... i just stopped by for a sec, ill be back later and send you a message with some pics. hopefully it will help. where are you located? im in VA and its getting warm.

im very experienced in building and construction

3. if you want me to take the time to help this is what i need from you. what kind of light? how big do you plan on making this room?
    you obviously have a little handyman skill to cut your ceiling open (i hope you didnt forget you only have 24 inches between ceiling joists), but your going to need it to keep that baby cool.

last thing i hope you have a few dollars to invest..

i got the attic mastered

4. #4 itsy, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
    Thnx so much. Glad to see someone else is using this technique, to be honest I'm probably going to have someone else cut out the ceiling. The room is going to fairly small like i said about 5ft tall and a little bigger than the size of my closet, i'll take some pictures for you a little later. I also haven't deciding on the lighting yet would you have any suggestions? Thanks again. I'm in CA btw

5. hope this helps, if you have any other questions just private message me, id be glad to help in any way as much as you need my friend. thats what this site is all about.

laid plywood across the floor joists and built 2x4 walls (24" on center). the room is 8x8. i covered the outside in plywood. used r-19 insulation in the walls. hung sheetrock on the inside. laid vinyl on the floor for waterproofing.

you have roof vents in tour existing roof, you will need them for exhaust. i used 4" and 6" flex duct and cheap intake exhaust fans (bathrooom fans). what i did was cut airtight holes in the walls of the room and ran the duct through it and hung it inside the roof vents that is existing in the attic. im actually using two, one has a homemade carbon scrubber attached.

the trick....is in the vent work for the central a/c. this is very simple. you need a $5 tee from lowes. it is a 3 side 6" vent connection so you can basically split the direction of airflow...in this case right into the room. now you getting constant airflow to a new room.
    *all you do is cut the flex vent going into the room already, and hook the tee up to re-connect the line you just cut (this way the room temp is not affected at all). the remaining open end you hook up flex duct and run it into the room. bingo. your going to need some h.v.a.c. foil tape or plain ol duct tape.

it is important to make sure you exhaust the air in the room this cant be stressed enough. outside in the attic the temps will reach well over 100, and i mean well over. i still have alot of trouble keeping the temps constant. if i could do it again i would have used more insulation.

what you need to do is make it like a real room as much as you can, even if it is small like a closet. do the same things the best way you can. use the resources already available like the vents in the roof, they can exhaust your air or bring fresh air in. you can use different materials but also remember it is all about keeping that hot attic air from killing your girls.

light: a 1000 watt HPS for flower (in the room im describing). a 400 HPS for veg, in a diferent room. my recomendation on lighting would be based on how many plants your growing and what you expect to gain for whatever purpose. im a HPS user unless it is clones, i use flouroscents for them.

Attached Files: