My 5 gallon DWC bucket

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by larryg420, Oct 21, 2008.

1. 1-5 gal bucket
    1-4" net pot ,rockwool cube and those marble sized things:p i see in the hydro store.
    The air stone in the 1st pic,it's round-5"
    The pump in the 2nd pic,65 gal tank size,2 out lets.
    FF nutes
    Kush Clone
    Going to build it this week end.Don't have PPM or PH meters yet but thats next.:smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a great start man.:)

3. I've always grown organic,so i figured I'd try a hydro set up for one of the Kush clones.

4. marble things are what we Hydro ppl call Hydroton.

I only wish i had some pure Kush clone genetics,is FF all organic?

5. thats whatsup. i need to get a bigger air pump. =/
    im going to be using ff nutes too. but they are organic based,
    not so much all organic i believe.

6. I would start looking into making a tea in a drum for the best organics you could ever get your hands on,then you can have the best organic nutes which would be very cheap too.

7. Bro - go to your local walmart/target (if in the states, otherwise your localized market) and buy the biggest air pump you can get...like one for a 30gallon aquarium. Trust me, in a 5gal bucket, as the root mass develops and begins gobbling up all the space in there - you're gonna have a bitch getting bubbles to the surface without a good air pump.

8. i totally agree with klutter, the bigger the air pump, the better.

i've also heard that using the small 1" air stone produces more/better bubbles than the larger discs.

although i have never used the discs or the long stones, i had GREAT results with two 1" stones per bucket. nary a sign of root rot.

9. I have used 4 inch stones without a problem except breakdown but now i recomend a flexible air diffuser the two foot one works but the 3 footer wrapped like a pretzel seems to work the best for me so far i will try to post these pics so got em one is 2 stones in my res then a 2 foot flex wand and the three foot one

Attached Files:

• 1st.bmp
      File size:
      888.5 KB
      Views:
    • 24st.bmp
      File size:
      888.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2try.bmp
      File size:
      888.5 KB
      Views:
  10. I use a 65 L/Min. pump (Alita Al-60)and 6 six inch air disks and with nearly six foot plants in their 6th week this saturday the bubbles are still boiling to the top with vigor.

I say go even bigger or have multiple pumps if you go with the lil 60 gal aquarium pumps.

Although if you plan on growing short girls then lil pumps will be just fine.

11. I'm doing a clone first,as soon as i see roots its going in the bucket.:smoking:

12. One of my best plants was a clone shoved straight into my BB system which was really just a test which was a a total sucsess,after it took off and was bigger than the original rooted clone in that bucket i cut the smaller one which was in there for a few weeks too.Its in my journal IIRC as it happened several weeks ago.

13. Do i really need a PPM and PH meter for Hydro?
    I have a PH and Moisture meter for soil.

14. 100% necessary

also, the ph meter for soil does not function correctly for hydro.

15. Do it right once or learn the hard way and THEN do it right,the choice is yours man.

OR you could live in a perfect growing environment with perfect water and get lucky with no problems at all,most of us create what we have and must rely on knowing the variables which are only revieled with special meters and such.;)

16. I'll be getting the 2 meters next week,by then i should have the bucket done and the clones will be ready.
    I'm going to the hydro store tomorrow to get some net pots and the Hydroton.
    I'm going to use a 18 gallon set up instead of the 5 gallon pail.I'm going to do 2 plants per 18gal set up.
    2-60 gallon air pumps,4 air stones,2 net pots.
    I already have a 18 gallon storage bin w/top and its blue so it should block most of the light,or i can paint it black.

17. well put a light on the floor put your bucket over it and turn off all other lights if you sse light getting out then it will get in right I had to paint all my rubbermaid tubs so far.

18. Yeah dude no light in the res. bad algae and root rot quick and with hydro problems occur way faster than with organics and don't fix themselves either. If you see something wrong you gotta figure it out and fix it fast. Also invest in a meter that reads the electro conductivity as well. you can usually find ones that read both on one meter. if you have heavy metals in your tap then your EC will be high and cause problems with nute uptake weither your ph is good or not. And flush the hell out of it to get the best flavor with hydro the nutes are pumped in like its an IV in thier viens so theres lots of nutes in the plant throughout the whole process. and to make changing buckets easier i have two buckets per lid/net so i can make a solution the night before let it sit and evap. the chlorine and then quickly swap em out and clean the old one.it's a lot less stress on the plants too. well best of luck and i'm sure you'll be hard pressed to go back to soil after seeing hydro

19. Very good advice,if any light is seen do it over and i recommend a foil tape rather than a paint which may or may not work and will scratch.

The real problem with meters is they mostly use ppm which is just a conversion of the most accurate EC and can be converted in several factors,find out the conversion factor of any meter you buy and if the hydro guy doesent know RUN....he dont know shit!!!

The problem with using high ppm tap is that it will not be used or could even cause problems for plants depending on its make up(your city can give you the waters contents for free too)it will take the place of the nutes which could make up that ppm if you use distilled or R/O water(recommended for most)which your plants would be using well instead of crap which BTW adds up when not used by plants and will eventually be so high your nutes will become the minority in the solution necessitating a full res change which should NEVER be needed till the final flush IMHO.;)

20. This is what i got today
    #1-18gallon tub,dark gray-going to paint it black w/plastic spray paint.The top is already black.
    #2-A 125 gallon tank air pump-2 outlets but can use 4 stones with it.25ft tube,6 2" air stones.
    #3-Bag of Hydroton-10L size.should last me a while.
    #4-6-5" net pots-2 for the tub and extras to fool around with.
    #5-2"x2"x2" Grodan cubes-50 of them.
    I'm going to start and build it today,i take pics as i go along.:smoking: