My 400 watt HPS took a poo...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by pyrotech, Sep 27, 2010.

1. After a few good seasons my 400 watt HPS light took a digger. I assumed it was the bulb and went to Home Depot for another. Plugged it in and no joy. Now I'm stumped. I'm assuming all HPS bulbs are the same (it looks just like the old one). So I guess that it must be my ballast.
    1.) Is there a way to test the ballast?
    2.) If I need a whole new light, I'd kind of like to get a switchable one (MH to HPS). Any recommendations on Brand or Vendor?
    It was harvest time anyway, so I'm not in a panic, just looking to a brighter future.

Thanks for any advice...

2. If you have an ohm meter test the socket? Only thing i can think of 'cause then you know if you at least have power.
    If you do have to get a new set up, why not bump it to a 600w? :)

3. Anything Grows Hydro in Reno saved the day. One look and they knew I'd fried a capacitor, they replaced it on the spot for $30. I would still like a MH lamp, and yeah, 600W is better than 400W. Can anyone recommend a source, I'm not in a hurry and would like to save a buck if I can.

4. Hell yeah man good to hear!
    You can get a MH fixture on CL really cheap if you want it only for veg. If need be you can seperate the ballast. And if you need to know how, i can make a tutorial. I have a 1000w one i haven't done it to yet.

5. check out HTGsupply, you can get a switchable light/hood/ballast for like 120.