My $300 DIY growbox 26"x26"x4', 250w MH, 150w cfl

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Thicken Dense, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Yeah, I've seen that thread and wondered just HOW good they were, the carbon filters i mean. Still, compare how much it is to buy vs. make a couple per grow...could be worth it so long as I build one that actually works.

Lol. I can imagine that the smell didn't exactly add stealth to your operation ;)

Yeah, my plan is to build my own cab and disguise it as a large chest of drawers (at this stage, plans change of course) I have read that ducting should run straight, but a 10% loss may have to be a necessary evil that i can't avoid. A big hole in the side of my 'drawers' might be a bit eyebrow raising... As far as a PC fan goes, I think that as with the lighting the fan will just have to be something decent that I have to buy...not skimp on.

I'm still a bit unsure of the optimum way to set up the carbon filter, fan, air cooled hood and ducting...you mentioned filter on one side of the hood and fan on the other, which would draw the air from the grow area, through the filter, through the air cooled hood, and then blow it out the exhaust vent/hole. Would i get more out of my fan if the the setup is: filter, fan, hood,...wouldn't there be less resistance and more draw from the fan if it's pulling the air closer to the carbon filter than if it had the hood as a buffer zone? Am i even making sense? I've searched high and low and just can't seem to find any information on what gets the maximum out of your ventilation setup :confused:

This is what I was thinking (i'm VERY sorry for how shit this picture is...i did it in paint without a mouse, just my laptop's touchpad. But you get the point :p)

Attached Files:

2. Absolutely, just make sure the carbon is thick enough. Yea, my house used to stink soon as you opened the front door... no bueno. I'm not knocking diy filters, just the ones that aren't up to par. Not enough carbon and you find yourself replacing it way too often, that's why Ona gel is good to have on hand in case your filter isn't 100%.

I don't know of a reason why you couldn't do it the way you described. I just prefer to have any volume or pocket of air behind the suction of the fan, think I read somewhere that it's slightly more efficient but that could be completely untrue. Something about nature abhorring a vacuum makes it more efficient to create negative pressure and let the natural barometric pressure work to your advantage, but I could be totally off. It's just something I do out of habit and probably has a negligible effect anyway. :smoking:

Speaking of ventilation, you'll get the lowest temps with 2 fans. One for your hood, that is sealed off from your grow area and a separate fan and filter to exchange the growroom air. LOL, I know costs add up but I'm just saying that there are different ways to go about it. I might use a cut-down duct booster on my hood as a second fan, but I don't know if they're strong enough for a 400w. I know this probably doesn't apply to your build, just thought I'd mention it :smoke:

3. I will keep the thickness in mind if i decide to go the DIY route with the filter. And thanks, you're right on, the Ona gel is a good idea to have as a back up.

Hehe, yeah, i'm no expert on this stuff. I've seen people do it a few different ways and just thought i would ask the question. Lol, I have considered separate fans for the grow area and light, and also considered the added cost. I'm just not sure what kind of temperatures i might face, that's all. It would certainly keep me safe in the summer though because it does get VERY hot where i'm from. I would rather spend a little bit more money and have it right than spend too less and have it wrong...

I'm not gonna rush this...i want to make sure i've got everything i need set up before finding out half way through a grow that i made a HUGE mistake somewhere. Time to sit back and think a bit :smoking:

4. #84 Thicken Dense, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    What's up fellas :smoking: thought I'd post an update on my PE...

Roots Organic soil, (per cu ft) 2 cups Espoma Plant-tone, 1 cup kelp meal, ½ cup dolomite lime, 2 cups glacial rock dust. I give them an AACT every month or so, botanical teas every week. I also use Xtreme Gardening mycos on my seedlings, noticeable increases.

For my 5 gal AACT I use a 20w air pump, threaded nipple removed for max airflow (45 lpm) with ½ cup castings and ½ cup alaskan forest hummus, 6 Tbsp molasses... I've been told that a little extra molasses is good. Homemade pvc diffuser for easy cleaning.

For my teas I use 1 Tbsp of either alfalfa or kelp meal in a gal jug, let it sit for 2 days before using.

Started 12/12 5 days ago. I run MH for the first week because I read that it reduces stretching a bit, don't really notice much of a difference. I've been lollipopping this one a bit at a time and I didn't top her, just ran the top stem under the screen. She's had a nice skunky smell all through veg.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^the twine is used to pull branches downward, evening out the canopy

Here you can see the main stem snaking under the screen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's my brewing rig, that's a paint strainer bag (rocks in my humus)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. whats goin on with the GOOD grow lol

p.s that pe looks like its gonna be a nice yielder

6. Nice to see you bro.... glad you came to the party :smoking:

[​IMG]

4x OG Kush from Dinafem, 3x Royal Kush from G13, 1x NLxSweet Tooth... she's second from left, in a 7 gal... the rest are in 5 gal. The one in the back left is the prizewinner (OG), I'll be taking cuttings from her :smoke:

I'm hoping for a bigger yield off my 250 than last one, with the extra 6" of headroom above the screen.

7. :O thats gonna be sick. i want constant updates lol. and if you need someone to help you make some oil when you are done let me know lol.

8. LOL, yea... think I'm going to need help with the harvest too if you're down for a marathon... I am not looking forward to trimming that much shit. Want to get a vac chamber for my BHO too, what does your buddy use? I priced them at around $250-$300 for a pump and chamber.

9. yeah im down for trimming. just let me know when. and yeah that price is about right for a decent one

• Like Like x 1
  10. Another thing.....those plants are getting kinda old kinda fast.....and i dont see any other pictures....which means....you arent updating regularly! tsk tsk

Not good. I expected more from you

11. I know, I was more active last round. I just switched my 250 over to hps, about a week into 12/12.

[​IMG]

The back two are OG, front left is royal, right is the auto. Fan leaves are huge!!

[​IMG]

12. og #18? those are gunna be fucking great

13. I didn't plant the 18 from RP, these are regular OG from dinafem. Next round, definitely.

14. ahhh ok. why not the 18 now?

15. and btw you should make a new thread for the big tent.

16. Veg will be over soon, all my lights will be 12/12. I'll start the 18 early, just not yet.

I should, just got to get my shit together... lot of loose ends.

17. Where can I buy plywood cut to a specific dimension to ?

18. Home Depot and Lowes will cut a full sheet (4x8) to your dimensions for free, but bring a tape measure. Some of those guys just don't give a fuck and will fuck up your cuts. Lowes by me cuts it right in front of you but still measure it before you pay. If they want you to pay first tell them that they've fucked up your cuts before and you want to measure it first.

UPDATE :D

First up, my project box

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and my other garden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My auto..

[​IMG]

Cheers!! :bongin:

19. I was searching for DIY grow boxes (yay google!) and I apparently had an old registration with this forum. I just want you to know I read through this entire log and your 1200w log and you do some DAMN fine work sir. Kudos!

I will be modeling my box after your little one :)

-Johnny D