My 1st Grow [[Pics]]

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ZBORIL, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Setup
    - 6 19watt CFL's
    - Miracle Grow Soil
    - 24" Fan
    - Watter every 3 Days
    - Lights on 24/7 for veging

Does everything look good? What could i add? whats your guys's opinions!!

[​IMG]

:)

2. You may have problems with the miracle grow. Also, buy HID lighting. It's worth it.

3. #3 bmeat, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    looks good. dont add any feed, mircale grow usually has something. i think mircale grow will work well if you pay attention to if it has food or not, which is usually does.

turn the lights off for sometime. its only natural. the closer you can replicate the real enviornment, the better. 18/6

at some point replace the foil with white poster board

4. 24/7???....give the plants a rest and shut the lights off for 8 hrs...i tried that 24 hr cycle once and my plants went whacky....my mentor always told me...i must be mother nature....not god!!

so do what mother natuer does...and shut the lights off

5. Suggestions:

• 18/6 light schedule. plants need rest
    • Get rid of the tin foil (absorbs 80% of light...not god)....pick up a mylar blanket
    • 114watts of cfl is not enough. General rule of thumb is 100w for first plant. 50w for each additional plant
    • dont set a schedule for watering. the amount of water and the frequency will always change

6. Thanks :) will do everything you said i will also add update pictures in a few weeks so you guys can see how they are :)

7. #7 Doc-J, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    [quote name='"ohspyro89"']You may have problems with the miracle grow. Also, buy HID lighting. It's worth it.[/quote]

Seconded. Not a fan of Mg either.

I use a 24/0 veg cycle as well. It works fine. Cannabis does not require a dark cycle during veg. Don't believe me, ask Ed Rosenthal or Jorge Cervantes.

Ed Rosenthal:
    " One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light. The plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime."

8. there are some good scholarly articles of the benefits of a dark period for all plants so I wouldnt discount the dark. It's called Scotobiology

9. Would update the CFLs you can get 150 watt cfls for $9 at walmart, and 200 watt bulbs at menards for $10.

10. Wow were do u live thats butt cheap in canada those are like 20 buks

11. I think she was referring to the 42W CFL that's about $9. Gives off 150w EQUIVALENT. Not the same thing as a 150W light though. I think she's mistaken.

12. Again butt cheap were i live i got 2 23w 6500 for 11 buks, 33 watter is 14.99, and a 42 watter 19.99.

13. #13 Kitsunè, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    Live in Indiana lol no where special. Been pricing the CFLs for fill light to hit where my T5 and T12s miss.

I was talking about 42 actual watt CFLs so they are 150 watt equiv. Not sure what the 200 watt equiv's actual wattage was I saw it in passing getting pvc for my Aero system. I am using the 42 watters for fill light to surround my plants with light and to get the under growth. Still dirt cheap for that much output. CFLs are so easy to wire up that I would prefer using several small ones placed all around than just a big light. but This is personal pref.

I am a guy those are my Wife's tits lol.

14. Also on your using MG, I know a lot of people are against it and sometimes it doesn't always end well. I have read of some people getting a nute burn early in the grow but that they usually push through it and thrive until you will need to add more nutes to it. So while MG might not be ideal it can still work. I would suggest adding some Perlite to it. Have heard some people have good luck with the moisture control MG too. It is a lot better to make your own mixes but MG will do in a pinch.

15. Pretty sure those CFL's are really cheap if you buy a case. Home Depot usually has them I think.

That's why I like my 1000W light. There isn't much that doesn't get enough light. ;)

16. Not in the bigger lights the packs usually stop in the 100 watt equivs. The 150s that I bought were all single packaged and were only 8.44 a piece though in the 2400k color spectrum. Looking into getting a couple 200 watt equivs in 7200k spectrum too.

17. Where are you going to flower that? You know your plants will more than double during the flower period. You're growing 4 plants. Noobs need to stick with ONE (1) well maintained plant. Harvest one plant. Then try for 2. Why absolute n00bs want to grow a forest of weed out of the gate is beyond me. Properly grown with good genetics, one plant will yield more than the four you started. I wish somebody told me that up front. Like you I just wanted to germ seeds and plant em. You can get serious yield with ONE plants properly attended to and LST'd/scrog'd.

Or you can just keep doing whatever you're doing.

18. Someones having a rough day........ Smoke some weed

19. I know that you have a point however I do kinda debate it. 4 is a good starting point, this gives you some room for if there are Males, hermies, major health issues, ect. If you have 4 and half go male then you have 2.. then say you have a major health issue and 1 doesn't make it you have the magical one that you spoke of. If the grower is lucky then they have a bigger crop. Also with more plants come more potential problems. Problems make people learn and isn't that the whole point of a first grow?