My 1st Grow Op (coco,lst,topping) PICS WEEKLY

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by pullGRAVS, Jan 21, 2014.

1. #1 pullGRAVS, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    Whattup up guys. This is my first grow and first post (bare with,been pullin gravs all day) and Ive spent countless hours reading various forums and built up what i perceive as a good but rough idea on how to grow the DANKS.

medical patient-FYI :smoke:

The set up:
    Closet: roughly 2x5x6

Lights (cfl) : 8 23w 6500k 1140 lumens ea. & 2 23w 2500k (for flower i will change that up obv.)
    Ive got the lights plugged into dual splitters thatre plugged into a 'socket to outlet' piece that are hooked up to a power strip. (I hung my ghetto rig with zip ties for easy height raising, pretty smart if i dont say so myself) And i also have a bigfan above, blowing down on the plants.

Nutes: Canna Coco A&B & RAW calcium/mag only. The dude at the hydro store said thatll suffice

Medium: Canna Coco (rinsed and pre nuted at 33% strength with 5.8ph) in 2 gal. pots

The Low Down

I got 2 chronic thunders, 1 northern-lights x big bud, and 1 ak-47 clones from a local nursery and will be giving them the usual 18-6 cycle, watered once a day.

I am going to train them (LST) to grow around the pot using this bendy wire stuff i got at my local hydro shop, and top em.I plan on vegging for 15-20 days then flower till harvest. By the time i veg ill have another power strip with the same light setup on it (2500k?) Ill post pics tomw after i hit up the swells :hello:

Questions

Am i doing anything wrong?
    How long till i top and veg?
    How does my set up sound?
    Criticism welcome!?

Thanks in advance!

2. #2 pullGRAVS, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    Got my set up all running and everything seems to be well. Only thing is, the two chronic thunders have a few white tips on the leaves. Anyone know why and/or a solution??

Anyways i will be updating with pictures weekly or so, feedback would be appreciated! image.jpg

Are you feeding/spraying them while they under then light?

4. Feeding them as in fertilizing-yes at 33% cannacoco a&b and a pinch of calcium/mag. Is that too much, though id give em straight water in the morn when i water. And what do you mean spraying? Misting the leaves with water?

5. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390465738.261615.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Only give those a minimal amount of nutrients to start off. Like maybe 10%. Yellow/white tips usually indicates a bit of nutrient burn, and with plants that small, nute burn can kill the grow.

When you can afford to, switch to HID lighting, it's more efficient by far.

7. I would also advise, as it is your first grow, not to throw in too many complicating factors such as lst, topping, or anything fancy. Let the plant do its thing, you'll learn more than enough from just going through it one time first. Besides, those techniques slow down the grow cycle due to recovery time, and that's just discouraging for a first-time grower. Go the easy way for now, and watch the plant do it's amazing duty unhindered.

8. Agreed...I'm a first time grower as well, and there is a nice learning curve no matter how much you read. I would suggest having 1 of your plants to be your tester plant, where you can try out topping, lst, etc. That way you can see the difference side by side. As to when to top, from what I've read, you should wait until the 3rd or 4th set of true leaves, but you can get away with doing it earlier.

9. #9 pullGRAVS, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    as half animal said-i plan on experimenting diff techniques on on diff plants and keeping one or two natural. but hell, who knows. well see how it goes. thanks for the feed back tho, ill cut off a little bitta nutes

10. Good Morning PG,

I have been growing in coco for a while and have screwed up enough so I may be able to answer some of your questions.  First, only you can judge if you are doing anything wrong - just do the best you can with available resources.  Those CFL's are actually a decent set up for 4 plants in veg.  I agree with the others that you probably do not want to top or LST.  Not because it is your first grow but because you are only going to veg for a short period of time.  Your plants probably won't benefit much from either of those methods with such a short veg period.

The leaf tips on the picture definitely look like nute burn, but very minor and correctable.  Don't expect those tips to get green again but observe the new growth.  The good thing is that with coco you are growing hydro and can correct things rather quickly.  Just watch out for deficiencies.  If new growth appears pale green (for the strain) then up your concentration some.

Some suggestions for future grows.  If they fit your style give them a shot.  If not then just keep them in the back of your mind for the future.  I see you have been reading up and probably know most of this already but I've also noticed that it is not that easy to find consistent information about coco.

Don't be afraid to use CalMag. Coco needs it.  Regardless of your nutrient strength I suggest giving the CalMag at full strength.
    It would probably help if you mixed some perlite with the coco in the future.  It does help with aeration and also allows the coco to dry out a little faster.  This is a good thing as long as you are there to feed as necessary.  I use 2/3 coco to 1/3 chunky perlite.  The ratio is a matter of preference.  A lot of people use a 50/50 mix with great results but for me that dries out too fast.

It is a good idea to pre-rinse the coco with a mild nute solution.  33% may be a bit high. I use 25% and don't forget the CalMag. 

Now this is just a matter of preference but for small plants I like to start them in small pots.  Nothing at all wrong with using the 2 gallons but starting them in pint or quart pots gives you a little more flexibility.  You don't use as much nutrients in the beginning since you are watering a smaller amount of medium.  Also you will see faster results in any corrections or mistakes you make.

If you can, I suggest taking clones before or withing the first couple weeks of flower.  If you end up with some good dank you'll kick yourself for not saving the genetics.  That is probably more important to me than you since I can't go purchase clones.

Like @[member="Xandur"] said you will sooner or later be wanting to upgrade your lights to HPS.  I have yet to see anyone that continues to grow not do it when they can.  Just think about and plan on a ventillation system to remove the excess heat. 

Sorry for the long post but since you asked for advice I thought I would throw the old 2 cents in.  Take if for what it is worth and never stop researching and learning.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thank you very much redneck. I absorbed that info pretty nice :p i do have a cal/mag supplement i beleive, ill post a picture of it. As for vegging, im gonna veg till 1 1/2 ft prolly. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591311.011829.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591344.919748.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591401.704902.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591429.374464.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591456.138770.jpg I topped my northern lights 4th node. Picture order: northern lights x big bud,ak, then the two chronics. (Last ones the problem child)Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390591540.500765.jpg heres the setup. Fans up topSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Well if you have the time and patience to veg to 18" I say go for it with topping and LST.  You will get the most bud sites for use with your CFL's.  Wishing you luck.  The first grow is the hardest while waiting to smoke your own bud.  Wow, that is some powerful CalMag you have there.  You may want to take what I said about feeding it full strength with a grain of salt.  9-0-0 is real high nitrogen.  Does Canna take that into account with their nute schedule?  I use GH CaliMagic which is 1-0-0 so you might have to experiment to avoid giving them too much nitrogen.  I use AN nutrients except for the calmag but I know a lot of people swear by Canna.

14. Also your problem chronic is kind of a mystery since I am assuming all things are equal with all of the plants.  It really looks like that one has been too close to a light or has a pH issue.  Since I doubt it was too close to the light you could try flushing with a very weak nute solution at 5.8 pH until and get a real good run off.  Then see if new green growth starts.  Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.

15. Oh the yellowish is from one of the soft white lights. Some of the leaves when i woke up were turned kind of folded on top of the leafSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. If you haven't checked it out yet take a look at Ironhead's journal.  He grows extremely well in coco.  Ironheads perpetual dream room is the title.  It gets a lot of activity and is usually on the first page.

17. 👍👍will doSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. #18 pullGRAVS, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    Heres an update on my little guys. Everything is running smoothly Same order as last time ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390759219.290972.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390759252.320663.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390759273.604222.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390759297.844466.jpg . Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. They look good.  It looks like the last chronic has some new growth and the cupping is better.  Or is that just the photo angle?

20. #20 pullGRAVS, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah she is doing very well. It musta got stressed when i transplated them. New growth and very green. The yellow is glare from the soft whites

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum