My 1st grow. Hoping seasoned pros can help guide me

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Camelotsunrise, Jun 27, 2016.

1. I'm very grateful this forum exists. This is my first grow ever. I chose to go outdoor and organic because we have lots of property in a very remote part of the country. Plus I'm broke as hell. I bought my seeds from Nirvana. I started with 5 seeds of Kaya Gold, 5 seeds of Wonder Woman, and 10 freebie seeds that came with my order. I started all the seeds on April 3rd indoors. I live in growing zone 5A. all 5 of the kaya sprouted and are growing well. All 5 of the wonder woman sprouted, but one died a few days later. I have 4 that are growing, but at a much slower rate than the others. 4 of the 10 freebies sprouted and are growing the best of all (go figure). I put the freebie seeds in the ground two weeks ago, and the Kaya one week after that. I put the wonder woman in the ground yesterday. I have a few questions hoping some of you could give me your expert opinions. I noticed leaf curling on my kayas. I researched what could cause this and came up with two popular answers. One was the PH was too high. The other is that the plants are getting too much light. I can't afford any soil testing kits. Everything I do, has to be with what I have on hand. Should I put a beach umbrella over the plants at certain times of day so it doesn't get too much sun? Should I assume the Ph is too high and water the plants with a vinegar solution to acidify it? Or should I just leave them alone? It seems to be only affecting my kayas, not the other plants. I am uploading pics of them for you to see. With the freebies, is it too early to tell if they are male? I looked at them closely today, and swear I see a few white hairs on 3 of the 4, but that could be wishful thinking. What do you think? I made fertilizer out of my pee a few times, 1 part pee to 20 parts water, when they were still in containers. All the plants seemed to really like that. Now that they are in the ground, I am using compost I made from cut up greens, chicken poop, and raked leaves. I let it age two months before using it so it would be safe. I noticed some of the plants had a few ants crawling on them. Are they harmful to the plant? If so, is there a natural insecticide I can make to spray the plants with. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have! This is my personal use medicine and I really need this to be successful or I am screwed. I tried to upload photos, but I keep getting error messages.

2. First off, we need pictures. Throw us up a few of your plants and the area where you have them planted. Too much light doesn't exist for one of these plants. They're hardy as heck. But a seedling is pretty tender and dead hard bright sunlight can often stunt them slightly. But mark my words, they will come on. A lot of how the plant grows is totally dependent on the strain of plant you're growing. The sativa strains tend to be taller and a more lanky plant and you'll get more height out of them quicker than you will an Indica based strain. Those tend to have very tight nodal spacing and will grow lower and more bush like. Those strains are better suited for the more norther climates because they handle the cooler temps better than other strains. But throw us up some pics so we can have a look at what you're working with. Drainage is a big issue with these plants too. If they don't have adequate drainage, you can end up with root rot. Most new growers kill their plants with water. Overwatering is a big no no and it's best to let them dry out to at least 80-90% before watering again. The roots don't like sitting in moisture. Get us pics and go to the beginner grower threads here. There are posts at the beginning called "sticky's." Read all of them. They will give you an idea of the very basics of how to keep the plant alive. Every grower needs to know these basic facts before they start seeds, but few rarely bother to look into. Most are much more concerned with putting together some kind of a grow room than they are about learning how to grow the plant. LOL But read up on what you're doing and posts on the forum that correlate to it. Look at pictures of others who are growing outside. Research your strains so you have some sort of an idea regarding what to expect out of these different plants you have growing. You're starting plants way too late. The summer solstice occurred back around the first of the month and the length of light per day is already shortening. I'm not sure exactly how many weeks it takes, but any plants growing outside will automatically begin to bud when the hours of light get low enough. Try to keep them as healthy as possible so they will grow as big as possible before this happens. Next year, start your plants inside in February. You can do this and keep them alive and growing while the temps outside are warming. As soon as there is enough hours of strong daylight (it actually has to be a certain level of light before the plant registers it), go ahead and put them out. This gives you a few months of time to grow the plant's size before it goes into flower. This way you end up getting several ounces per plant or more instead of a few grams. But count this one up to a learning experience and use the grow to educate yourself as much as possible on how it's done. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Camelotsunrise, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Thank you! I tried posting several pictures, but I keep getting error messages. I will ask the mod what I'm doing wrong. Maybe the photos are too big. Ok I think I figured it out. This is one of my Kaya Golds. I selected this strain because it was advertised as an easy to grow hardy strain for beginners. The leaves a curled a little bit[​IMG][​IMG]

4. This is another Kaya Gold plant. It has more curling leaves than the others [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] We had 3 days of heavy rain. Do you think that might have something to do with the curling?

5. Here is one more view of a kaya gold plant that's curling. [​IMG]

6. This is a freebie seed that is growing really well. Can you tell if it is male or female or is it too early for that? [​IMG]

7. Another freebie plant I'm unsure if it's boy or girl [​IMG]

8. Here are some pics of my set up. I have most of the plants growing in between my veggies. There's not much to it. I worked in a good deal of compost before putting them in the ground. My soil is loamy and we have pea shrubs growing around the garden which I read puts a lot of nitrogen in the ground which is nice. This is the row of Kaya Gold. They have direct full sun from sunrise to about 6pm. It gets completely dark around 10 to 11pm. [​IMG]

9. This next row are the freebie seeds. I think two of them are sativa because of the lankiness of the plants. I hope they are all girls! The small one in the middle used to be big like the others, but I accidentally broke it in half when I dropped a shovel. It survived the break and seems to be bushing out a bit [​IMG]

10. Hi fellow people. Im new to all this and have a question.
    Entering week 7 of flowering and the fan leaves are goin yellow and some have brown...
    Should this happen or is there something i can do to stop it..

Attached Files:

11. This last set of photos are wonder woman. I bought these because they too were advertised as being easy to grow and cold hardy. They are growing much more slowly than the others, but they are growing! I put three of the four plants in my asparagus field because it gets another hour of direct sunlight from sunrise to about 7 to 7:30pm. One of the ww plants is alive, but has not grown much at all. It hasn't grown since late May, so I figured I had nothing to lose and just put it in the ground anyway. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]