My 1St Grow Bagseed,400W Mh/hps, Ffsoil

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Dr.Dina, Apr 7, 2014.

1. #1 Dr.Dina, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    What's up grasscity! First ever grow goin on here! We're at day 19 today :) Here are some stats for you:

I've got some random bagseed, hubby and i save all seeds in hopes to grow someday. It's now someday!
    Lights: 400w MH 3 ft above 24/0 for veg, 400w HPS 12/12 will be used for flowering
    Soil: Fox Farm Happy Frog organic soil
    Nutrients: Dyna Grow Foliage Pro for veg, Bloom for flowering (I have only done 1 watering with nutes so far on day 14, it was TOO SOON THEY HATED IT)

7 jiffy cups to fill, so we germinated 7 of our "best lookin" seeds!

Planted 5 on March 18, sprouted on 19th with 2 coming out of one of our pots!
    Planted 2 on March 19, got distracted and double planted (eek!)
    So we had one lonely empty pot, 4 beauties growing, TWINS, and... Sorority sisters?? ;-)

Its our first grow, and scared of separating them, so were growing everything out as is

7 seeds. 8 plants growing. Out of 6 pots. LOL
    3 bags are 3 gallon and 3 bags are about 1 1/2 gal because we ran out of soil halfway through (NEWBIES OK LOL)

So how are we doin so far y'all, how do you think they look?

Also, we've got our grow tent set up and its way too hot. So we ordered a cool tube with ducting and new fan (240 cfm)and all. Any suggestions on a good setup? We already have a filter hooked up to a 80 cfm fan, with the same cfm's coming in.

2. hi im subed for ur journal and will try to help along the way.

oh ur pics have not uploaded for some reason?

if you have a garden center close by get some potting soil to sprout ur seeds in the future, they dont need any nutes atall until they have a decent root system( ur fox farms soil contains nutes ur seedlings dont need and make burn ur plants). maybe just a bit off root juice or something similur for the first few weeks.

Also i notice ur vegging with MH, thats totally ok just be aware of the dreaded stretch, florescent lighting if awesum for vegg because nodes/branches will grow very close to one another and create a compact plant instead of a long lanky plant. but still MH is ok dont let me put you off, just please think about how much they will stretch in the first few weeks of flower. you dont want to run out of room.

try to have a more pwerful fan pullin air out then the intake fan.

hope i helped ijn some way lol, look forward to ur next post

Rich :smoke:

3. Right on, thanks for subbing Rich!

I will try and fix my pics ASAP i don't know what happened they WERE there lol.

I didn't know that about the fox farms soil thanks so much! Round two i will adjust that ;)

Hey, about how far apart is a good distance for the nodes? And I won't be using the MH for flower, ill be changing it to HPS, thats correct right? I read the medical growers bible but i don't remember 100%. My tent is 48x48x78in so how high is the highest ill want them to get in veg? They double in flowering right?

Thanks again for your last post, i love having input! So new to this.

Oh and cross your fingers for females please! I've given them all (mostly) girly nicknames in hopes to convince the universe to help me, haha.

4. Here we are on day 20. Looking good, positive thoughts for females since they are all bag seed
    View attachment 1419573

5. Well now i see  pics your plants are looking very healthy :metal: , nodes look nicely compact and the lush green leaves mean theres no
    problems with your nutes. As for the nodes distance, i wouldnt be too worried to be precise just as long as your plants are not leggy which yours arnt so far. And yea mh for veg, hps for flower.

Are you going to top your plants? i think it would be a good idea to start doing now if you are.

Hopefully you get a female, are you going to clone it?

The first 3 weeks of flower  your plants will stretch, scrog is good,help over come stretch and evens out your canopy for even light distribution  since your growing in soil it would be very suitable.

Ohhhh and when are you going to switch to flower, THE FUN PART  :yay:

all in all ur doing really well i think.

6. Oh happy day!

I went grocery shopping and came home to find out our cool tube, fan, and ducting was delivered. How did I find out? Hubby had it all set up! Yeeeahhhh! He freaking rocks! Check it out

View attachment 1419982

Thank you for mentioning the topping! I wanted to FIM actually and the hubs said no lets just see how our first grow goes... But since YOU mentioned it (an experienced grower) he looked more into it and saw the benefits so thats what ill do later tonight! So THANKS!!!

Im not gonna clone or keep a mother at all at this point. Eventually we want to set up a smaller veg area with some T5s but that will come in a year probably. As of right now we have the one tent so we plan to do 2 harvests a year with about 8 weeks in veg, and 8 in flower, (we'll see how each plant does) we also plan to hang them to dry in there so lights will get a break for a bit!

When im done im hoping to have tons of bud, but im most excited for my trimmings to make butter, and hash oil :) :) Thinking about getting the MagicalButter machine!

I haven't really thought about scrog ill ask hubs and read about it some!

Im so happy we can close the flippin tent now! Ahhhhh steady 75 degrees, and no more stench (they are so stinky in such a good way)

So since they did good using the FF soil for seedling growth do you think it'd be ok to do it again next time or still get them started in something else?

7. #7 Dr.Dina, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    That picture warped... Try this again lol

6" cool tube hooked up to a 240 cfm duct fan PULLING air out through duct and out a window. The carbon filter is attached to an 80 cfm duct fan blowing air into the room, with another 80 cfm blowing air from room into tent.

View attachment 1420039

8. #8 xRizlaRichx, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    Hey Goddess!

All looks like things are running smoothly then for you guys!

If you dont top or fim or low stress train ur plants they will grow 15ft tall haha, you need to control those ladies.

Bassically a scrog would help do much in ur situation it would give more bud, help controll growth and ensure each top has an even amount of light. But this is just a big learning curve so go with what you guys think is best for you.

8 week veg time is alot of time!!! remember you dont kno if you have a female and maybe could waste so many nutes/money on plants ur going to toss out. personally in ur situation id give it two more weeks veg, lower ur light a little bit (how far away is the light from plants?)

im from the UK and a scrog could be hand made with a few tools from most DIY stores for about £20. ur hubby seems like hes on the ball, put him to work. GC and Youtube offer guilds on making them.

im digging how clean  ur grow area is, keep it like that and you should be pest free, good idea for a filter on the intake fan, was that to stop bugs ect..? i didnt think of doing it to be honest haha COOL! 

I would still sprout in potting soil due to the fact you might have a nice hardy strain running in ur tent at the moment, but if you dont take clones and buy some seeds at a later date you might not have the same results, it could burn them. But all said in done ur not the only people who plant straight into FF, and they dont get burn, some do, some dont, depends on ur strain i quess.

i was on attitude seeds website yesterday and if ur planning a new grow for the future there a good company to use, discreet delivery and there beans are top quality. i spent £30 on blue cheese seeds and got 6 other strains FREE!

some people fre flower there plants earley to find out sex, then revert back to veg to grow the plant then flower fully. This is done to remove the unwanted males and is rarther simple i dont think ud encounter any problems doing this.

iv just woken up, smokin my breakfast :smoking: and grabbin a coffee haha, good t see this journal active im excited to see ur results  :yay:
    Oh i dont see a fan blowing on ur plants inside the tent?do you have one? this helps so much to strengthen up the stems and hold all those big buds. its important you get one.
    speak soon

9. Ok so dont LAUGH. We went ahead with FIMing last night and ummmm... Well we thought we did :/

Soooo i watched a YouTube video and thought, "I got this!" Yeah I so didnt get it and showed hubs how to do it wrong too. Pretty much what we did was opened up the newest growth on top allll the way down to the newest smallest leaves developing, and trimmed those as a FIM. We didnt cut off all outer leaves just the very center. And when we woke this morning the leaves that had been opening up to each side, came back and enclosed the cut area (as if in protective mode kinda)

Will see what they do in the next couple days i guess? Or what SHOULD we do? Dont wanna stress them too much

View attachment 1420386
    View attachment 1420387

Good news is there's tons of new growth popping up everywhere since we've got the tent closed up!
    View attachment 1420454

10. I think we will put up scrog then if it will help, ill ask hubby to look it up and fix one up for us!

2 more weeks you say huh? Then that is what we'll do! We had the light 3 ft away with our other hood, but now that the temps have cooled down so much with the cool tube its all the way down to 2 ft away. :)

I think i wrote it funny about our setup, when i say room i meant bedroom :/ the fan on the bottom is our intake with no filter, on top is our output with the filter, but it would be a good idea to keep things out and clean air you're right!

I had a desk fan in there but we took it out it was making it too cold but if there needs to be more air flow we can put it back in no problem

Hubby was lookin at the bean site you recommended we will probably order next time! (I need medical strains anyway)

How exactly would we pre flower early? Just flip the switch on the lights for a while?

Hope ya enjoyed your breakfast! I know we did :) :)

11. All will be ok lol,

all you want to do is pinch all the new growth off the top of the plant, when it regrows in a few days you will have 2 top bud sites instead of one :).  Also this allows ur side branches to catch up with the top of the plant and give you and even flat canopy.Fimming sucks in my opinion. Just flip the lights 12/12 for pre flower, make take a week or so for the plant to recover but they will be totally fine.

Breakfast time!  :yummy:

12. Ok then Ill take a peek at them tonight and see what we can do!

You know... The worst thing right now? Running out of bud, when you're growing bud! It's like its right there in the other room, but yet its not. LOL.

13. Haha yea ur so right! But when youv waited all that time you will enjoy ur smoke so much more, it feels great, if youv only ever smoked from a dealer you will see the differnce in the quality, don't for get to buy ur air tight glass jarrs for curing ur budd! Friend of mine cured for 3months once and it was some of the nicest tasting weed I'd ever smoked, bag seed also so we didn't kno what genetics it had. Drop me a pic of ur fimming

Peace

14. #14 Dr.Dina, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Yes, we used to buy from a guy who was like ohhhh i dunno maybe in his 50's? He grew his own... But other than that always from a bud man. So yeah hopefully this turns out good! Although i dont know if ill ever be able to cure for 3 months!!! I bet that was some dank huh? I've got the jars picked out just waiting a bit to get them until closer to harvest! We spent a bit on the setup so im trying to level things out for a bit. Hah. Will post a pic update later!

15. #15 Dr.Dina, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  16. All looks lush and green, that's were the free flowers will come exactly were that little ball is, keep an eye on it over the next few daays, a little early yet to tell

17. Nice little set up for sure! Subbed :smoking:

18. Thanks for joining us @[member="IslandHippie"]!

19. Looks great there growing nicely