Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

My 13 year old knows...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by EasyPeasy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hey all, im relatively new to the forums. I've done my searching to answer most of my questions though.

Anywho, earlier tonight my wife and I were smoking on the back deck and my 13 year old kid walked outside and found us smoking. He wasn't supposed to be at the house tonight because of a school project at his friends house. So my wife and I thought that it would be ok to smoke outside. I havent really had the "talk" with my son about it yet, and im curious if any other parents on this website have had similar experiences. I have smoked marijuana for over 20 years so i'm not new to it, but i am new to explaining myself to my child. My wife and I have been trying to figure out how to explain it to him. I don't think that he is going to school and talk about it, but i am worried about how I look in the eyes of my kid. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Let him know that government propaganda is bullshit. The only way he could think negatively of you about it, is if he believes all the lies. www.norml.org

3. what do you do for a living?

4. Does he know what you were smoking? Sit down and have a conversation with him about it. The only problem would be if he went to school and started talking about his parents smoking weed. If you're not worried about that, tell him about it and that when he's older he can try it if he wants.

5. I'm a floor manager at a furniture store.

Umm...I honestly don't know if he knew that we were smoking marijuana. He said it smelled 'funny'. I apologized for the smell and told him to go back inside. I am completely pro marijuana and would enjoy to someday smoke with my children (although, im sure that sounds wierd to the younger people on this forum), but I just feel like he is too young right now to know anything about it. I did not plan on having this conversation with my son for another 3-5 years.

6. im still a child to my parents so to being honest would be the best thing, and to educate him properly. my parents always told me, our house is like las vegas, what happens here stays here.

7. 13 is very young though...

8. oh duuude, you should have let him chill with you, that is an off limits subject now!

dude I'm fucking tripping myself out, I'm sober but I could have swore I read that you were a dentist

what, the, fuck

9. If I had a son I probably wouldn't choose to tell him at 13. Maybe wait? At least a year or two.

10. There are not one but a multitude of parents on GC?! woah. trippy. And the times, they are a-changin.

11. I started smoking with my dad at 13-14, if that makes you feel any better. I plan on smoking with my kids. I think it helps with the maturing process.

12. You're not crazy. I saw it too.

13. yeah thirteen is pretty young but for a guy it is a time of adolescence, marking the turning point in his life from boy to man. just tell him whats up, and the rules that u have for him.

14. You have no idea how good this is to hear :D I don't have any children (I'm only 20) but my mother was always very open and honest with me about her history with drugs. She didn't smoke while I was growing up (that I'm aware of lol) but she never lied to me. Be honest with your kid, tell him that it's an adult pastime and if he really respects you he will understand. The honesty my mom provided me with only helped me make more rational decisions in my teenage years, because it meant she trusted and respected me.

edit: I forgot to add that my mother smokes with me now too. It's a great feeling to have that honesty in a family.

Good luck!

15. Then go with your gut instinct. I mean, if he thinks you're smoking cigarettes or tobacco you should probably tell him that it's dangerous. To be honest, I don't think he even remembers that you were smoking on the deck. If you didn't make a big deal out of it then he won't treat it like a big deal. It's the same thing with cursing. When he's older, you'll be able to have a healthy discussion with him about it and then enjoy some weed together if he decides he wants to.

16. I suppose it all depends on how parents decide to raise their children. Someday, yes, i myself will introduce my child to marijuana and educate him on it, but i just don't think that that day is going to be anytime soon.

17. I say just be blunt honest with him. No pun intended. Plus the whole age thing, I started at 14, So 13 isnt too young, spec since you been smokin for quite a while, you can inform him properly about weed. Pretty much i think you just have to have a good talk with him and for him to fully understand, my opinion is for him to experience it for himself.

18. I think you need to tell him plain and simple that you smoke but also let him understand that it isn't bad. Tell him that people can't know because they could take him away from you ... at 13 I knew alot about weed.. thats when I started smoking.. so he has to know a thing or two. The most important part is dont treat him like an idiot.. You should tell him if he was ever interested in smoking to come to you instead of the people at school. Make sure you let him know you arnt trying to talk him into it just put it out there.

19. I'm no parent or even close but I would tell you to be very delicate with this situation. It could be very easy for him to lose respect for you.

What have you already told him about drug use, and especially MJ?

I know that when I was 13 I was anti-drugs even though I started smoking only 1 year after that, and if I caught any of my parents smoking I would have been seriously let down. Since I've started getting high I've learned that my dad occaisonly smokes a little bit. I think the best thing my dad did when informing me of this was just being completely honest without making it a big deal. If you make it a big deal so will your son.

20. I really appreciate your insight. Although i do feel like as the father of a son, that it is my role to explain myself and my past times to my child. My wife is just as much a part of his life too and she smokes with me as well. We smoke 4-5 times a week and have never had this problem. I'm only 35 years old so i suppose i have time to explain myself.

Perhaps today was just meant to happen and now is the time for me to talk to my son about it. All the advice i'm getting is from non-parents though. you guys have good intentions and everything, and i suppose i cant expect any less from an online community of smokers. I still need to talk to my wife about this :p