My 1000W 4x4 Tent Setup - Thoughts, Critiques?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Thrower, Jun 29, 2013.

1. #1 Thrower, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
    Alright, I've been researching around the Internet and have decided on a 1000W HPS grow tent, organic SCROG style. This is my planned build:

Grow Tent: 4x4x7 Grow Tent from Gotham Hydroponics on eBay - a reputable guy on RIU seemed to like it, and it's cheaper than a Secret Jardin DR120.

Ballast: Lumatek 1000W Ballast - Lumatek seems like a reliable brand, many people seem to trust it.

Bulb: Hortilux 1000W HPS Bulb - It seems that Hortilux makes the best bulbs, but if it doesn't matter, please correct me.

Reflector: Debatable. I definitely want a 6" air-cooled, however. People seem to like the Radiant, Magnum XXXL, and Blockbuster.

Fan: Also debatable. As before, it will be a 6" fan. Minimal noise is very important, but I want it to suit my needs. I've seen good things about the Vortex 6" (452 CFM),
    Sunleaves 6" Wind Tunnel (409 CFM) and Hurricane 6" Inline Fan (435 CFM). I also will need to buy a fan speed controller.

Carbon Filter: Phresh 6x24 Filter (550 CFM). Security is of the utmost important in my state and I don't want to skimp out on this, unless it's extreme overkill.

The temperature of the room it will be set up in is approximately 78 degrees year round. I would want to vent into the room but if possible I could vent out the window. I am willing to use other venders than eBay, it's just easier to compile links using it.

This is a diagram of my plan (if this is right, please correct me if I'm wrong):
    [​IMG]

2. I'm probably going with the Blockbuster hood and Vortex 6". Does anyone have suggestions on setup?
    The cost comes up to around 940 shipped.

3. #3 Buffalo11024, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
    Filter, hood, duct, fan then duct out. Will get better flow this way. It is easier for a fan to pull air through ducting than it is to push it.

4. Alright thanks.

5. Hey Thrower you might want to check out
    www.hydrobuilder.com. I just bought a bunch of equipment from them & a lot of thier products have FREE SHIPPING

6. I have always read to treat heat and smell as seperate issues. But I don't see any major flaws with the setup.

7. #7 Rbskttlz, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
    I say go for it. Looks good to me other than that. If sound is an issue wrap the ducting in panda film. It will act as insulation and greatly reduce the noise from the 450 cfm fan. I suggest purchasing the highest cfm fan in your budget. Super stoned, edited this like eight times. Smh.Sent from my PC36100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I'll be sure to try that, scored an 8 inch raptor on craigslist for 100. :p

9. Glad to see you're using a Phresh filter, I can't say enough good things about them.

Definitely configure your fan to pull air out , rather than push.    If fan noise is an issue, I would suggest using a Phresh duct muffler.  It works like a champ.  Although, if you're crafty you could build your own.  ( 8" HVAC tube, with a piece of eggcrate foam lining the inside and two 8" -> 6" reducers.)  I love my Phresh muffler, it works great, but I could have built one for less than $50.

The Blockbuster and Radiant hoods are fantastic.  Check out this review:

http://www.greners.com/reflector-test.html

Hortilux does make nice bulbs, but you can get a couple cheapies, and have a spare or two leftover.  

Finally, check out the iPower ballast/bulb combos on eBay.  you can get a killer HID setup for a minimal investment.  Your end results won't be noticeably different using name brand ballast/bulbs as they will by using a good generic version now-a-days.

10. #10 Thrower, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
    I might try making my own muffler if I deem the noise to loud. I scored a Lumatek 1000W for ~$170 new, and with grow supplies I'd rather have quality over quantity, so a ballast or something doesn't give out on me or start a fire.

11. I have a vortex 6 inch and it is not quite but it does run pretty smooth. That being said it is a a hell of alot quieter than my 10 inch CanFan. When you mount the fan cut some 1/2 inch rubber as shims to go between the fan mount and what you secure it to. On the intake side I used on mine a modified strainer from the kitchen packed with steel wool to quieten the air intake and it works pretty well.

12. I'm going to try and do the box method where you put it in a plywood box and pack the inside with towels or insulation foam.

13. Alright, I have most of my grow room figured out.

Tent: Either a 4x4 or 5x5 Secret Jardin Darkroom II
    Ballast: Lumatek 1000W
    Bulb: Hortilux Super 1000 HPS
    Hood: Hydrofarm Raptor 8"
    Fan: Vortex 6"
    Filter: Phresh 6x16"

In a 4x4, you get 62.5 watts per square feet, but in the 5x5 you get only 40. However, I don't know if the DR120 can support the weight of all the equipment and room for ducting. Plus, you could put more plants in a 5x5. Anyone got any suggestions?

14. Bump i too am curious ^

15. bump, curious