Mutant?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Dioscoride, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Hello everyone,
    This is my first thread...so please be gentle.:D
    I am growing for the first time indoor and among my new borns I have a rather curious resident. I didn't want to spend too much on seeds and risking a waste on my first grow, so I planted some of my own seeds that have been given from friends to friends for quite a long time now, so I won't be able to tell the exact type. Anyhow one of them is growing not with two leaves but three. It has been a week now and more leaves are growing and still three at the time instead of two.:confused:
    I was wondering if somebody had seen this before and could telle me more on the subject.

2. Post some pics.

3. The picture is not great but it gives the idea,
    DSC00009.JPG

4. You have a triploid :D

If you want to know what it is, why it occurred, and what it means for your crop, then read on and I will tell you:

Most plants, like us humans, have 2 of each type of chromosome (we have 23 pairs, making 46 chromosomes for example). Having 2 of each allows sex cells to be produced (sperm and eggs for example, or pollen) which have ONE each chromosome (The one set from each parent makes up the normal 2 pairs).

Now, a triploid plant is a mutation which has 3 sets of chromosomes. These are usually good, as because they have 3 sets of everything instead of 2, they have more branches and more nodes, so more points of growth for buds etc. However, the downside is that they are infertile - they cannot breed at all. The reason for this is quite simple - how can you split 3 pairs of chromosomes between 2 parents? You can't, and indeed the triploid is incapable of even producing viable sex cells (pollen).

This process of having extra sets of chromosomes is called 'polyploidy' and has led to some major developments in plant evolution (on very rare occasions 4 sets can be produces, which CAN divide - the plant now effectively has twice the number of chromosomes, and if it can breed with another quadruploid - with 4 sets - it might just produce a quite different type of plant.

Polyploidy is actually fairly common in human reproduction as well, but complex organisms like us simply can't survive with 3 sets of chromosomes, and any fetus that has this mutation will 'die' while it's still just a small ball of cells.

5. HIGH All, Polyploid plant......you have a triploid and I too have one and it's in Bud....

Edit: Damn you beat me arseface..*LOL*

Attached Files:

6. Thanks for the good news, I'm gonna look after this special kid. I have now great expectations for his future:hello:

According what you said it could possible to clone it though, if of course it matches our expectations...

7. HIGH All, forgot to Welcome you to The City Dioscoride...Welcome! *LOL* don't want it to be a him....

Well my LHM (my Bro..who I call my Left Hand Man) cloned one and it became a normal plant that we All know and Grow....I'm growing to try it on mine...seeing as I know it's a Female Already.

8. Thanks for welcome Unoit, and yes you are wright let's hope it's a babygirl! My original language betrayed me ...

9. ?! Really?!

I'm not doubting you, but I really can't understand how that would happen! After all, a clone is just that - genetically identical to the parent plant. It would be expected to also be a triploid...

Anyway, fingers crossed that it's a female. If it is, it's definitely worth taking clones just in case (even if they do end up turning back to 'normal' plants like unoit's bro's did). Keep us posted as well - it'd be cool to watch it grow.

I thought I had a triploid, but it was just a weird first set of leaves. The first set came through with 3 leaves, but one was smaller than the others and just didn't develop, and none of the subsequent sets have been in 3s. Oh well!

10. here are some pics, I think this is due to overwatering...or may be ph but I can only check water not soil.
    The rest of them seems ok but the triploid is all yellow:mad:

Attached Files: