Mutant?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ReallyRed, Dec 25, 2009.

1. #1 ReallyRed, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
    ugh, okay, so, i've finally got one of those seeds i've been bitching about to sprout and this is about 1-2 week's worth of growth so far.

she was sprouted from soil, i will admit i overwatered her just a bit but she's coming back from that... (what, i was excited... can you blame me?) she's got the 18/6 timing with two really bright CFLs (about 80 watts between the two but rated at 3000 lumens each.)

temps are about 75 degrees consistently, i am a little concerned because at first i was thinking "okay, well, i'll resolve the overwatering issue and hope that resolves to the point where the leaves will return to normal." and now i've noticed that it looks like the side-branches are starting to form. and she's not even two inches tall.

any help from you sagely blades?

oh, i haven't run a PH test as i don't have any litmus yet. going to fix that up soon as i can. as for nutes, she has had one round diluted extra watery as i did not want to risk burning those tender rootlets.

Attached Files:

2. you probably should not have given it nutes yet..just my opinion, there's enough in the soil for the first couple of weeks growth but it doesnt seem to have effected your plant..as for your problem, i really dont know dude sorry, first grow myself

3. You know when its time to water when the soil is dry at least an inch deep. He is right don't fertilize yet. Sometimes leaves get mutant like and it does not necessarily mean anything.

4. okay, so, got a pH test kit (could only find one for fishtanks but it worked for the runoff) with a reading of 5.5 (the water i'm using is 6.7)

also, noticed that the leaves are curling around like a corkscrew... i've found some spots suggest it's a nutrient issue, some saying it's growing too fast, some saying that's normal... so, needless to say i'm asking you out there what you think.

as it stands, i will be planning on some dolomite when i can and adding that to the soil when it's time to transplant her... so far she's at about the two week mark (and she's a sativa dominant strain) i had to water her the other day to get the runoff for the test, but past that, she's going to be fasting for the next few days (to soak up the rest of the water in the pot.)

but yeah, she's on the 18/6 cycle, gets 6000 lumens from two 46 watt cfls rated for "daylight" (they seem to be kinda midrange, not noticeably cool or warm.)

temps are stable, hitting around 75-76 ish.

thing is, in the first few sets of leaves they really look nasty... all mutated and stuff.. and now she's also throwing out those side-branches (shouldn;t she wait for later in the season?)

dunno... it's why i be asking.

Attached Files:

5. i'm guessing it has some ruderalis in it and is auto flowering.

6. your soil is absolutely soaked in every picture. you can't grow in mud. I'm leaning toward over watering on this one.

7. If it is watering problem,just water it once every other day,not every time you "feel" it might enjoy some water.:smoking: Control yourself

8. or even once every 3-4 days. Let the soil dry out a good bit.

9. Run-off was 5.5? Too low man. Shoot for 6.5 if you can. That could twist the leaves.

10. #10 ReallyRed, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
    gotta say thanks for all the tips here.

i decided to repot her into a larger pot with some dolomite treated soil (her roots were crawling out through the bottom like crazy and the mass of roots was rather large for three weeks growth i think) and after a couple days when i re-watered her i tested the runoff, got about 6.5ish (though i will keep testing to be sure that it has stuck.)

so, in thanks for the advice, here's some nice shots to show how bushy she's getting (i don't know if this is good or bad but it still looks and smells nice :D) not sure if she's showing a nutrient def (and i trimmed off those gnarled leaves on the bottom) she's still twisting a little bit but i think that's going to keep happening until the pH has completely stabilized.

Attached Files:

11. dont trim off leaves until they are completely dead (no green in them). The plant needs them to produce energy. twisted leaves still produce energy for the plant.