Mutant or problem? BlackJack

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Jaspurr, Oct 7, 2016.

1. #1 Jaspurr, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    I thought I'd share pics of my BlackJack, not sure if it mutated due to growing conditions or just a genetic anomaly. The first node has single fingered leaves and it looks like it's topped itself at the next level with four opposing single fingered leaves and no second node. Two opposing leaves first appeared with smaller leaves in the middle which I thought would be the third node but they grew out at the same level as you see in the pics.

Planted in compost and perlite mix, I move it around the unit to get sun during the day except the days I'm at work so sunlight varies, I put it under a cheap red/blue LED light bulb (from China) some nights and switch that off before I go to bed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    j

2. That's looks pretty awesome. Keep us updated on your progress! It's definitely a genetic abnormality though. Physical environment wouldn't have an impact like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Yup looks like it mutated into a tomato plant.

Nah just stop obsessing over every little thing it does.

4. Cheers, I'm happy it's growing healthily, I was just curious at how odd it is, it's now my 'special' child. lol

Due to height restrictions I was hoping to mainline it after the third node but not sure which way I'll go now, I'm curious to see how it'll grow out so will just let it grow naturally for now.

j

5. #6 Jaspurr, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    An Indian Myna was lurking on the balcony a few days back and later I noticed part of the first node single fingered leaf (lower right) had been pecked off. Not happy about that, the leaves at that node are smaller than the one with the full leaf.
    [​IMG]
    Good growth appearing at the first node and the crowning glory, a 4 fingered X-shaped leaf is still intact.

j

6. Some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    I'm training the plant as I plan on main-lining it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The third nodes (second node up from split first node) are growing slightly asymmetrical, as they typically do on clones. I'm debating whether I should top the plant at the second nodes (either side) to keep it symmetrical. Of course I'll keep the crown leaf to absorb light and power up the lower section of the plant.

j