Must-read on the Medical Marijuana crackdown

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by oltex, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Must-read on the Medical Marijuana crackdown
    DrugWarRant / Pete Guither / 10,25,2011

This is one of the best articles I've read on the subject so far.

In a Strange About-Face, the President Tries to Hack Medical Marijuana Off at the Knees by Ray Stern in the Phoenix New Times.

There was no doubt about it: Obama was intent on killing an entire industry - in the middle of a depression, no less. Left unexplained was why, especially since he was giving the finger to voters in 16 states just a year before he would face them in his own election.

Except one group, says Salazar: “It's a mystery . . . where the pressure is coming from. My sense is it's coming from law enforcement.”

Makes sense to me.

As more research comes in showing that pot can be an effective treatment, and with America's elderly population exploding in the coming decades, interest in its medicinal qualities apparently will only rise.

Ignorance, false propaganda, and rank political posturing tend to be the foundation of the anti-marijuana argument. (Throw in bureaucratic turf protection, as well. The DEA, for example, would need fewer agents if pot was decriminalized nationwide.)

Bingo.

The author does a great job of ridiculing the public servants who try to push propaganda rather than science:

Last December in Arizona, Will Humble, the state's Department of Health Services director, held a proposed-rules-on-medical-marijuana news conference about the state's new Medical Marijuana Act. He took a moment to remind reporters that more than 1,000 Arizonans died last year from accidental overdoses of prescription drugs.

But when asked how many of them died from marijuana, Humble refused to answer - to chuckles from the audience. He referred the question to his chief medical officer, Laura Nelson, who would only say she'd “have to do the research on that” before she could answer.

Then Nelson began stammering about the danger of marijuana related to “car accidents” - though she had done no research on that, either.

He covers the importance of state action.

Like women's suffrage, the medical-marijuana movement has - in 10 states, anyway - benefited by the direct democracy of citizens initiatives. These elections have taken the pulse of voters in a way that congressional elections cannot.

And he points out the challenge that the crackdown faces:

[Pheonix attorney Ty] Taber thinks the president may have underestimated his foe. “The people behind this marijuana movement - they're committed. They are zealots. And these are smart people - not stoners saying, ‘Hey, dude, pass another slice of pizza.'”

Not that there's anything wrong with pizza.

double pepperoni w/cheese and red pepper
    ,,please :smoke:

2. A wounded and dying animal that is cornered is a dangerous animal.

3. Couldn't agree more with the above statement.

4. I haven't been all that worried about the crackdown on clinics and the medical canna community, I like to think (hope) that they're just puffing up their chests for those who support the decision...

But now, what I'm REALLY worried about, is this prediction for exploding elderly folk. :eek:

5. wtf?
    old people randomly exploding in the streets??

really?

6. They might want to fit the street sweepers with pressure washers that could get kind of messy.

7. "We Are Not Winning" - Former Deputy Chief Stephen Downing's Open Letter to California Police | | AlterNet

8. In our state, in light of rampant abuses of "Drug Task Forces" I learned about property seizures and how those alone had gone up 20% in the last two years. Make no mistake about it, between property seizures and unlimited "overtime" to fight their own self-created enemies which came from the prohibitionist policies, the drug war is big business for the cops and the courts. When viewing police as what they really are- defenders of the laws created by madmen, this is one special interest group the politicians KNOW they need. Of course they are beholden to them.

Couple this with all we know of the government's involvement in cannabis research for medical applications, including their own PATENT on CBD as medicine, we also have the pharma lobby controlling the drug war for their benefit.

How many other industries benefited from NO marketplace competition thanks to prohibition? To say that resistance to drug war reform is coming from one main source is not at all correct. Prohibition is a Hydra with many heads.

9. worry not, I was about to explode just the other day after watching Democracy Now's coverage of NY police violence against the Occupy protesters....smoked many a joint and am still here so we have that problem solved.

;););)

10. oh yea. we know the truth, and its setting us free.

all is one, power to Humanity:)