Must have a permit to have free speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wackdeafboy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. #1 wackdeafboy, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    While protesting health care "reform" and collecting signatures on Capitol Hill, Young Americans for Liberty members were forced to leave by DC police due to a lack of a permit. The SWAT officer cited 36 CFR 7.96 under federal regulations to force the young group of liberty lovers to stop their freedom advancing activities.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoBLa7lhXY]YouTube - Young Americans for Liberty v. D.C. Police & SWAT- with subtitles[/ame]

2. I thought permits were only needed if you were marching on the streets.:confused:

3. You guys shoud know better, you have NO rights in the City-State Entitiy known as District of Columbia. Its true, check it out, they have their own constitution seperate from the 'American' one so they dont have to abide by the American Constitution.

4. So does every state. But washington dc is part of the united states, so they have to follow the Federal Constitution.

5. #5 ciao stupido, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    you can tell yourself that, but the way the enforce the laws... No, Its not. Still technically, its not a 'State', its a 'Federal District.' So they go about bending the rules as much as they like.

6. Yep, that's why they struck down the gun ban law citing the 2nd amendment...Because the constitution has no standing at all in Washington, DC. :rolleyes:

7. Go reread your constitution. DC is it's own governemntal partition intentionally seperated by the constitution.

They elect no representatives to congress and yet congress has the power to legislate "in all cases whatsoever".

This is the very definition of tyranny as defined in the declaration of independence. :rolleyes:

8. Really?

They've shown this to be untrue time and again, such as with the handgun ban. It shouldn't be the case, but it is.

9. .....

10. Citizens may be held accountable to federal law, but not 'Federal Employees.'
    Point being, we all know some shistey shit goes down in the Federal Capitol, that video being point in case.

11. how is this newsworthy? Buisness as usual

12. Just showing that America is being run by the federal. Not the constitution.

13. And we are all subject to federal laws which sucks because while we have state representatives we end up under the yoke of DC and the whims of dirt bag politicians from all over the country.

As far as I am concerned DC could easily turn out to be the 2nd beast of Rev 13 that rises up out of the Earth. Two horns like a lamb but speaks as a dragon. :smoking:

14. you need a permit to protest, its the fucking law. I'm tired with people bitching about shit that just makes sense

15. Requiring the use of a permit to protest sets up a mechanism by which large financial interests can ultimately decide who gets to protest and who doesn't. If the judges who issue the permits all answer to money rather than the Constitution, it's not difficult to see how the permit requirement can be used as preferential treatment.

16. i am honestly shocked by this video

17. Fuck free speech permits.

18. How does it make sense to need a permit to show that you're upset about something? If the government does something I don't like and I voice my opinion about it, I'm sure as hell not going go through the trouble of getting a permit just to do it.

Protests have always been spontaneous reactions by masses of people. You don't get "permitted" to have spontaneous reactions.

19. I think youtube videos are weak ways to argue points/present info so I didn't even watch the vid 1st of all. But, if you're gona bring 1,000 people to DC you should probably tell someone. You're gona block traffic, do all sorts of shit with massive amounts of people. I respect that but to play the game you gotta follow the rules, get what I mean?

I understand what you guys are saying and yeah its kinda annoying. still...

20. these are called riots...