Musings

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mortikai, Oct 27, 2009.

1. #1 Mortikai, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
    Sometimes when I'm sitting around I get an acid-like rush to my mind and need to put it on paper. It happened today on the bus to campus and i only had my notepad on my phone to type with, I'm amazed at how much I wrote haha.

I thought I'd post it though because sometimes its fun to ask questions of yourselves, and sometimes its rewarding, so without further ado:

When we were young we would think of ourselves only as a premature version of who we knew in our hearts of hearts we would become with just a little tim, but we somehow still managed to find the beauty and joy and plain and simple fun in everything life gave us the chance to experience.

What happened in the between that made us believe the person we are now is the person we were meant to be? What made us believe that the present is what we should relish as we are rather than striving to be everything we want to be, everything we used to know we could be, which ranged from an elephant to an astronaut, roughly anything possible. Is it that the only thing we truly desire now is that casualness and simplicity of the here and now so that we may avoid our had-been desire of living up to our most perfect self: everything we wanted to be? Are we afraid of admitting defeat to ourselves?

Is this not the same as simply forgetting those dreams and living in the now, as most of us do and see as the ‘correct’ way to run through life? Are we running? Should we be?

Is this any better than admitting defeat? Is it any worse? If we admit defeat what then? Do we quit life, stuck where we are or is that all “settling down” is? The admission that now is enough, and you’ll settle. What happened to seizing life? Is it a casualty of maturity?

We age and suddenly a year or five is not so long to the man who once measures his life in quarters and halve of years, if not months and days. When a day was all the time in the world and we felt satisfied with all the stick hitting and character building we had done. Is it just a stage we grow out of? From character building to career building to…what?

And who decides that? Is it me? Is it society? Should I listen to either? Should I not worry and just let it all roll over me? Isn’t that what I’ve been arguing against? Is life simply a mesh of so many experiences that there is no point in labeling periods of growth? Should we simply measure people by their present worth? Should we measure anyone at all?

If we don’t and don’t know who is capable of what how can we get any work done? Am I worried about getting work done or is the idea to live every day moment by moment to its fullest? What if to accomplish that one must work, and that work doesn’t satisfy? When is it okay to compromise happiness in exchange for security, whether physical, corporeal, material, or financial?

Is it ever okay to compromise happiness? I don’t think our inner child, who knew all the great things we were capable of, would say it was ever okay to compromise happiness? Unless maybe it were a selfish, personal happiness we could forgo in exchange with another, doing something to increase their happiness, but only if in doing so we recreate more happiness for ourselves because its someone we wish to see happy more than ourselves, therefore making them happy makes us happy.

Who is worthy of such honor, for us to disavow our own happiness for their sake? Are they family? Friends, lovers, teachers, brothers? Who is most deserving? Are they all? Are any?

Should seeing our happiness make them happy enough if they truly care about us? If it doesn’t can they still say they really care about us? Would that be enough? Or does the request, implicit or explicit, for some token denoting happiness from us devoid the relationship of any real meaning? Do they have the right to make such a request?

Do I have the right to deny them? And what would that make me to them? Is reciprocation of acts of kindness the only way to have a truly successful relationship of any kind? Every kind? Should all reciprocation be implied, unasked? Or is it okay to nudge someone in a direction every once in a while? If so who are we to motivate people into making decisions that benefit us rather than letting them come to their own conclusions? If they don’t come to ours do we abandon them? Guide them? Accept them?

And remember, just because I pose these questions doesn’t mean I have the most obvious answer to them, or most subtle, if any answer at all. These are questions for reflection, not for actual determination. I doubt there’s any way you could definitively answer them all anyway. I just let my mind wander and sometimes it’s nice to put it to paper.

And I love you.

;):p

2. nice
    this deserves a bit of thought before a resposne contemplate