music theory

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by BlueMoon890, Aug 12, 2007.

1. hey guys, ive been a guitar player for 6+ years now. but i never really learned music theory or even tried writing my own songs until about a year ago. i am trying to learn music theory and scales and the basis of music. anybody know some good books to teach me guitar theory? I got a scale book called the guitar grimoire, its got a black cover with a red symbol on the cover, looks almost devilish, i dont know if any of you have it, but i learned all the major scales but the thing is, i dont understand the actualy "theory" of it all you know?

also the guitar i play has somewhat of a fat neck and i donthave that long of fingers. any of you know some nice fender or ibanez/ etc electric guitars with a thinner style neck?

thanks for all the help guys.

2. Hey,

I, too am a guitarist of about 5 1/2 years. I was fortunate enough to attend a middle/high school that had band. I learned how to read sheet music this way, so I kinda had a head start before I ever picked up the guitar. I've been teaching myself music theory for about 2 years, now. I use the book:

Music Theory: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask

By Tom Kolb

I, personally find it very informative. So, have you ever tried learning scales of any sort? They're really not as hard as people tend to make them out to be. Just think of the chords that they are formed around, and it gets really easy. Can you identify notes, by chance? What I mean, is can you find the different notes on the fretboard if asked?

3. I made a post in a thread giving some basics on theory a little while back. I'll look for it and post it if I find it.

4. Well I'm no expert and this is just some basic stuff but I hope it helps. Here it is:

5. For basic music theory and beginners music reading on guitar I'd say pick up Mel Bays volume one its a blue book with a guitar on the front. Go to guitar center and try out some ibanez, prs, fenders,gibsons see what you like the most, I think ibanez has the most skinny necks.

6. Music Theory is a never-ending learning journey. The farther you go down the rabbit hole, the more you discover. However, when you are learning about theory, you should always keep this in your mind: NEVER LOSE YOUR SOUL. It's nice to be able to know all of the technical shit that you want to, but at the same time, your instrument is your voice. It is not a lick machine or a robot. Express your feelings with the instrument, but as you learn more theory your language will grow immensly.

7. im in a similar situation. i have no music theory but ive been playing guitar for over 7 years, nearly 8 i think now. the books mentioned are all well known and ive definately seen a few of them, just never bought any.

if you want a guitar with a thinner neck thats easier to play, look into any ibanez with a wizard neck... they really are made by wizards in the way that they are fucking magic! i played a jem7 which of course has a very very nice wizard neck, and i felt like i could play twice as well with the non fender style necks. anything like EMG/LTD, jackson, ibanez, any of the more modern guitar companies will have better choices of necks at cheaper prices, as fender custom shop necks are ridiculously priced.

edit:

oh and fuck theory, you dont need it if youve got genuine ability. ive seen too many poor musicians who hide behind their theory. you dont need it.

8. Very nicely put. I've stated my opinion on this many times before, and this basically sums it up.

9. ive been playin guitar since i was 10, and i never learned anything about theory. the thing i always loved about music was how u can just feel it, you dont have to go by the book. i think if i had to read up on a bunch of shit about how to "properly" write music, i wouldnt enjoy playing.just learn as many chords as you can, and you can throw together some good music. grab the acoustic, and ur bowl, and just jam.:smoke:

10. True, you don't 'need' it. But found it so helpful. You can actually see how things work and connect. Once you get a firm grasp on theory, you'll be at a whole different level.

11. Very well put. I rarely use the theory I know (or maybe I do subconsciously) and ever since my AP music theory class ended, I've been forgetting the stuff slowly but steadily haha.

The very best thing theory did for me was helping my ability to recognize chord progressions in any song.

Anyway, the bottom line (for me anyway) is that music theory is not a crutch for creativity, but it will help you a bunch.

Oh, you may appreciate classical music a little more too ha.

12. yea, the only theory i ever really attempted to learn was a few scales, some blues licks and some jazz progressions which i really should practice.

13. The more theory you learn, the more colors become available to you. For example, a C major triad (C-E-G) has a very concrete sound. However, if you add two notes,a flat seventh and a flat ninth, the sound changes TREMENDOUSLY (C-E-G-Bb-Db). This chord is C7b9, which is V chord of F minor. You can use the C "Spanish Phrygian" scale over this chord (C-Db-E-F-G-Ab-Bb-C), as it is the Fifth Mode of the F Harmonic Minor scale.

The key is to know this shit inside and out so you don't have to think about it when you are improvising.

Practice your ii-V-Is and your iii-VI-ii-V-Is. These are the basic turnarounds found in pretty much every jazz standard.

14. ruman, how your speaking is how i wanna be able to , like i want to be able to know what the fuck im talking about when musically speaking you know>?

and thanks everybody, like yeah lately ive been listening to alot of Frusciante's solo work (niandra lades and usually just a t-shirt) and ive been working on alot of melodic type guitar songs and im planning on purchasing a boss br-600 digital 8track recorder soon so i can lay my music down, i THINK, i have talent , i know i feel it when i play thats what i base my music on is just feeling it and transfering my emotions into the style and structure and feel. i just want to know what im doing as well.

thanks everyone,

15. harmonic minor is just a minor scale with a raised 7th. correct me if i'm wrong?

edit- oh and ibanez guitars typically have real thin necks. especially any of the RG's

16. If you're talking about the natural minor scale, yes. It has a b3 & b6, as well as a #7.