Music should split into two sub-sections

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Titoelbambino, Aug 10, 2009.

1. I'm somewhat of a purist in my taste in music. I'll enjoy anything that's original, meaningful, and catchy... a dying breed nowadays. I don't want to be the guy bitching about how music is changing and how it was better in the 60's, because change is only natural. But it really is a shame to see less and less original music coming out these days. 90% of new rap is about money or some girl at some club... and 90% of new pop is overproduced, hormone-driven drivel. Don't get me wrong, that stuff has its place, like a parties or clubs where the idea is to create a party atmosphere rather than to really wow you with some great message. But this party music shit is taking over the whole industry, making it hard for serious music to get out there. I don't want to see it disappear.
    So I have a solution: split the industry into two sections. One section will house all that atmosphere music I mentioned, and the other section will be for artists who want to actually be listened to. That way, neither type encroaches upon the success of the other. Everyone's happy.

tl;dr - split music industry into "fun music" and "serious music." That way both sides can progress independently without diluting each other.

Do you guys agree? Or am I just becoming a music snob...

2. #2 bikeride, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
    There would be arguments over what constitutes "fun" and "serious". It's completely subjective. Splitting them up by genre is more easily defined

Edit:

Check out independent or underground bands, acts that aren't on the mainstream, for some really good music. The independent and underground bands tend to be better because they don't have a record exec changing their music for them to make it more marketable. I totally agree with you that alot of the music now is mass produced and shitty

3. Ah, yeah, I guess I was counting on the artists themselves knowing which one they fit into, but I can see people writing shitty music and swearing they're serious.

I guess that split already exists with mainstream and underground... and yeah, my zune is full of underground shit, that's the only way to go.
    Good to know I'm not the only one!

4. Are you suggesting a formal split of the two? because that's a stupid idea. I'm trying to start a hip-hop career, and I have several songs about smoking herbs and getting drunk and fucking girls, which I'm guessing falls into your "Fun Music" catagory. I also have a bunch of songs that are about social injustice and whatever problems are facing my life. I guess those go into your "Serious Music" catagory. What about me? Are you going to make me and millions of other artists stop making one kind of music or another? And furthermore, how could you possibly classify my song about selling thizzle, which, though not having a serious or socially consious message, most certainly is not something suited for the club environment. Would I just not be allowed to make that song?

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iaHS-skmM4]YouTube - Wax and EOM: "Music and Liquor" (Director's Cut)[/ame]

6. The thing is most artist now a days don't really do it for the love of the art, more for a quick buck and 15 mins of fame. So it wouldn't be them making the choice where to go, it'd be the records exec's putting them where its most profitable.

7. #7 rumandromanism, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
    Because rap and pop are the only two types of music.....

I know plenty of bands/MCs that are serious, but approach their music in a humorous/fun way. Your sub-sections are wack. Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Rudder, Frank Zappa, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Mr. Bungle (to name a few).

Also, your self-proclaimed music purity is also humorous. "'ll enjoy anything that's original, meaningful, and catchy". That doesn't make you a purist. Purists enjoy the most fundemental type of music. A jazz purist will only listen to straight-ahead jazz, a hip-hop purist will only listen to golden-age, etc.

8. 90% of rap and pop on the radio is bad... there is more than that to the music industry. :poke:

9. So wack... I agree.

10. i think it should be made into 3. Fun Music. Serious Music, and High Music. The high music can be for shit that your listening to WHILE your high. yea?

11. Not at all. That's like saying dancers shouldn't be allowed to act, or comedians shouldn't be allowed to be serious, etc. If it sounded like I said that, I apologize, because that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying music is a diverse art form, and it's a shame that most of the diversity gets drowned out by the shit they play on the radio. If anything, musical artists should branch out into as many genres as they can, not just stay in one. That way people will realize there's more to music than overproduced remakes of fad songs from the 90's. Like, who the fuck am I to tell an artist how to express himself? Who the fuck is anyone to say that? Go crazy!

The split I'm suggesting is in categorization, not in specialization. Maybe I'm just a lazy fuck who doesn't feel like searching for new music and making a playlist, but I think a split would make that so much easier.

And I realize there are grey areas like the song you described... it's not like this is my master plan to save the world or anything. I just wish I didn't have to dig through so much shallow shit to find a real gem. I feel like a lot of music just insults my intelligence, like they think I'll be impressed with some knockoff beat and mindless chanting. Grow some balls and record something your label hasn't seen before.

12. I know this, and that's what I hate most about capitalism. People are forced into doing what makes them money, not what makes them happy. We're selling our lives. So much for freedom. But that's some heavy shit.

Maybe the split should be between those who do it for the love of the art and those who do it for the money. I dunno.

To the people who say my subsections are wack... you're missing the point. It's the idea of a split that I'm proposing. Something to organize it so it's easier to sift through.