Music for plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deleted member 45850, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I haven't done any research on this idea, but I have heard before that playing certain types of music such as classical can help the growth of plants... now i know a lot of people would prefer not to listen to classical music in their grow room but does anyone know if this does anything for bud? Just an idea..

2. hahaha, seriously? i dont think there are any plant processes that take aid from sound. it would be a more pleasant place to visit though, perhaps.

3. I always play music when i am watering and such but its always rap

4. Mythbusters did a show about this. I forget the specifics but they came to the conclusion that death metal is the best for your plants. Which is good cause I always listen to metal (my grow room = bedroom closet)

so rock on and blast some metal :metal:

5. so they actually found a good correlation?

6. i've heard that ANIMALS like classical music (my cat really liked acoustic jazz) but i just can't see it having any effect on plants. they can't hear afterall, so ALL sound would just be vibrations to them

the only reason that plants grow better when you talk to them is because they're getting extra C02 from your breath.

if i were to imagine ANY sound making plants happy, it would be something like recordings of burbling streams or birds but the whole idea just sounds hokey to me if you're being serious.

7. 1.) Mythbusters =/= Science
    2.) 'Talking' helps your plants because of CO2, the sound from your voice just vibrates the plants. Breathing on your plants is probably more effective than talking to them.
    3.) If you have fresh air flowing through a room, your breathing does nothing to increase the average CO2 concentration (in ppm) in the room.
    4.) If you dont have fresh air, you should probably get a CO2 tank, cuz talking isnt gonna cut it.

8. if the soundwaves of loud death metal makes plants grow better, then it's probably because the vibrations stress the plants the same way wind from a fan does which would be EVEN BETTER. the bending caused by the fan causes minor damage to the plant that re-enforces it's stems with new growth. it makes sense then that the loudest most bass heavy music would be the one that makes plants grow the strongest by damaging them the most.

as to the needle in a haystack problem, i didn't notice any rocket scientist in the bunch including the editors of the website. apparentlly they've never heard of superconducting electromagnets which can be so powerful that they can literally rip the iron out of your blood. finding a needle in a haystack would be a much easier task than that.

9. thats sweet that death metal of all things is the best for plants :metal:

but what the guy above said about it strengthening the stems does make sense....:hello:

10. Cool, im guessing here, but could it be the vibration allowing the roots some breathing room.Try rap with the big boom. Plants cant hear the music, but im sure they take advantage of the sonics.

11. along similar lines, the government developed a sonic weapon that uses infrasonics (really low frequencies) to vibrate enemy internal organs. the soundwaves cause diahrea which leads to dehydration and i think there were a couple other side effects i can't remember like migraine headaches maybe.

maybe the BEST music for plants would really be bass CDs then, even better, dub & reggae which tend to have alot of bass and which go together with smoking weed most naturally.

12. Tests have shown that Mozart makes lab rats smarter! I guess the rats find the cheese in the maze faster when mozart is playing. This is evidence that mozart might also be benefical to plants.

Bass and other high volume sound might cause vibration in soil planting pots to alow air to flow more freely, or the music might stimulate each individual plant cell to divide quicker?

When I caught a field mouse and brought it inside I notice that the thing would just hide until I played loud music, I think that the mice or rats in this mozart experiment just weren't taking the time to listen for whats around the corner!

But when you put all this evidence together I think it is fair to assume that playing music to your plants benefits the grower, not the plants!!! Its psychologoical, time goes by faster for the grower, therefore plants seem to grow faster!!:)

13. actually... in thinking about it, i'd bet an entire dollar that vibration is actually BAD for soil as it would help compact it and thus REDUCE air space as the soil settles.

14. Ah yes, good point poker, I was missing the obvious!:smoke:

15. i dunno if bass vibrations would compact soil, it seems like the soil would be shaken and unsettled from that

16. think about it... soil SETTLES, just like natural peanut butter does.

if youu don't believe the principle, take a few large rocks and put them in a bucket etc. and then cover them with pebbles or sand. then, shake the bucket. eventually, the large rocks will rise to the surface as the smaller ones settle underneath them.

that very same technique is used in various sorting technologies. apparently you didn't do that experiment in science class

17. Its something about the vibrations the music causes I think... I could be wrong no matter.
    I have a desktop PC in my garden. I have hundreds of classical music tracks on it and it plays 24/7. I happen to like classical so this works for me. Also, the PC is a perfect size to set my clone tray on top of, the waste heat from the PC acts like a heat mat.
    :D

18. i still think you'd get even better results with a simple oscillating fan.