music for plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by W.A. grower, Nov 29, 2006.

1. since i have been growing i have giving my plant hard rock and classical music
    the rock is supposed to make it grow faster and the classical is to make the bud more cronic
    has anyone tryed this, what were the results

2. Mine like refined jazz.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

3. Its no bullshit. It works. I saw an episode of myth busters where they hooked a lie detector like gizmo up to a plant. There was a verifiable response in the plant to this guy yelling and also just thinking of negative or positive things about the plant. I have also seen the difference that the product SonicBloom claims to have on plant growth and health.
    My best friend also did a science experiment in high school where he had 3 plants in different parts of his house. He set up each plant with soil, light and feeding schedules that were the same. The only difference is that he played Jazz, Heavy metal and no music on each plant. I saw and helped with the experiment. No shit the plant that had metal playing grew shitty and eventually died, the jazz plant did the best. Its crazy to think plants can perceive vibes but they do.

4. this is an old wives tale or urban legend. the "mythbusters" have researched and tried to prove/disprove this. they had plants that were (all the same kind, albeit not mj) subjected to classical, heavy metal, opera ect; plants that were talked to with kind words and plants that were talked to with vulgarity. there was also a control plant. the only plants that grew faster were the ones that were talked to, because talking requires breathing which expels co2, so don't waste your time.

5. i thought it was the heavy metal plant that grew the biggest?
    but how should i no i cant remember shit

"marijuana affects the memory"

6. haha i saw this thread and thought of without a paddle...ima start playing creed for my plants hahahhahah

7. I've read about experiments in japan with their Wagu Beef -Very expensive.

They tried expeiments where they played simon and garfunkel to some cows and nothing to the others. They worked out 'somehow' that the musical cows produced a beter cut of meat.....

With plants, It's hard to get this experiemt right when there are so many other factors that can influence the growth and survival rate of each individual plant.
    I have two outdoor plants growing in identical soil right next to each other, and came from the same bag seed. But they are growing different. One is slim and slender with a deep green.

The other has fat leaves and has a much lighter colour green about it. So it's hard to analyse if music is doing anything or nothing.
    I know that having candles lit around your plants is great for giving off CO2....:hello:

8. yea thats right istandalone is the one with the stoner memory. yea they proved music helped them they said it was most likely the vibration since heavy metal makes the most vibration. so No it is NOT a waste of time to play music to your plants imo, especially cuz i like heavy metal :metal:

9. I'm pretty sure loud music is bad, but jazz and classical is very good for plant growth. I remember reading somewhere, that plants contain proteins that mimic each note on a scale of music. Besides just growing better, scientist could "read" the music they had played to the plants by examining the order of the proteins. Crazy stuff. So yes, keep playing that classical music, but I'm not so sure about the heavy metal.

10. heavy metal or hard rock station if you can tune in inside your room, thats what grew the biggest plants on mythbusters.

11. the only station i let them listen to is the classical music station because i dont have any CDs on hand
    but i let them listen to my ramstein:metal:, system of a down:metal:,korn:metal:, rage against the machine:metal:, I.C.P, cypress hill, and i just keep it on shuffle

12. Im interested to see if this actually works, keep updating

13. No factual basis at all but we used to let the girls listen to cities 97(Jazz) in Mpls. it covered up the sound of the 80's style ballasts

14. That's a crazy interesting subject. It'd be neat to think the plants could respond to specific music like that.

15. well i have vothing to compare it to but it isnt hurting it

alltho my buds do smell like orange juice:D

16. http://www.indextube.com/MythBusters You can find the video for that episode there. Hmm, I wonder if I played classical in darkness and heavy metal in the light...wonder if it'd havta be really controlled....like two music players set on music alarms.

17. you could experiment with clones from the same plant, then your results would be more reliable

18. Don't you people have the same Internet I do?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_2)#Talking_to_Plants

Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

19. Dude i used to be really interested in this topic...

I did a LOT of research, found maybe a dozen different sources...

A majority of the sources found rock music or metal to make the plants lean away from the speaker and eventually DIE.

Classical music and things like talking would make the plants lean towards the speaker and grow normal if not a little faster.

Silence grew the plants fine at a normal rate

A lot of the sources stated silence is probably best, where as others said classical. I am sure jazz would be classical to a plant also.

But search this forum... i had a topic on it :)

EDIT: I dont know about the mythbusters.. because if you search on the internet for it - a LOT of experiments claimed rock/metal would KILL the plants........