mushrooms

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by PsychiatricWard, Jan 23, 2009.

1. so i know everyone is going to tell me to go to the shroomery but i find the site very hard to navigate and i have tried but i couldn't find the answer to my question. so here it is GC:

is it possible to cultivate my mushroom spores first and find somewhere in a forest to let them grow on their own?

2. It's quite possible, but they will only fruit one time unless you live somewhere that strain grows, and you'll need to do it during a warm time such as summer, and you'll have to protect against slugs. I've put living mycelium in to a flower put before and it fruit just fine

3. Depletes the purpose of a sterile environment...

4. Yeah it's possible, need the right climate though. Here in the UK it's too cold for outdoor cubensis, but you can have a patch of woodchips outdoors with azurescens or cyanescens. Just see what grows in your climate. You can prepare a couple of jars/bags then spread and cover them in the forest. If you're lucky you could get a yearly harvest.

5. I always thought growing shrooms indoors would be a much easier option.

6. Indoors you need to be more careful with sterility, and you don't get a yearly harvest. But you can grow them any time of the year and have more controlled conditions

7. More careful with sterility than some woods? I think that wouldn't be hard to accomplish.

8. You can do PF cakes and bury them and they will produce mushrooms. Dunno how effective it is or what the harvest would be like though.

9. I mean outdoors you have to take less (or no) precautions, since most common contaminants will die outdoors.

10. I've done it many times, and to be honest, outdoor flushes can be bigger and less of a pain in the ass than maintaining an indoor fruiting chamber where you have to worry about sterile conditions... Once the cake is fully colonized ( turns totally white with mycelium ) you can just breaked it up in to chunks and I recommend burying it in a flower pot that retains moisture well. Water the soil if it looks like it gets dry.

11. thanks for all the answers and here is what my idea is:

around when spring starts and i'm sure i will get no sort of random snow storms i'm going to order whatever i need and have it sent to a friends house where he will hold the things until i am ready. once that is done hopefully by the time i do this i will already be very educated on shrooms and i will start cultivating the spores inside and once they are ready i will take a few and put them in a forest across my house and everywhere around my town. i'm hoping i can get a yearly harvest and i'm going to make a map of where all my patches are and pick some whenever i need any for whatever reason.

how hard will it be for me to get a yearly grow from my shrooms patches that i plan to create? and when my mushrooms grow and release their spores my patch will obviously multiply in size, right?

12. I recommend you research which psilocybe species grow in your area naturally year round, and try to grow that strain if you want the patch to keep coming back. Even then patches will eventually die off unless you keep adding new substrate for it to colonize.

13. #13 PsychiatricWard, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    i mean i could add the new substrate if need be, i just need to make sure that it will grow back if i maintain it properly. i really want to take up this project because if it works i can get free shrooms for close friends and sell whatever to whoever wants to be hooked up. i was thinking about taking on the project with a friend but i know he would clean us both out so fast and the project would be a waste.

so the patches will come back as long as i maintain them right? and bigorange2, it seems you have done this before, if you have what was the yield for your first patch?

lastly, what should i put in the google search box to find out what hallucinogenic mushroom grow in my area?

edit: http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-psilocybin-mushrooms-grow-wild-in-my-area
    this link has been really helpful and i think i may grow mushroom hunting and just move the mushrooms i find growing to the spot where i want to start my patches. is it possible to transfer a live, growing, adult, mushroom to another spot if it's native to my state so it can release its spores in the surrounding area? if it's possible it's alot less work and alot less expensive.

edit #2: what kind of conditions do mushrooms grow in? i want to know what areas would be good to search when spring comes around.

14. First of all, you can't talk about selling illegal substances on here.

Yes the patches will come back if you maintain them, which requires more or less depending on which type youre trying to grow.

The reason I recommend just using flower pots with plants in them already is that slugs and other critters will love to feast on your shrooms just like MJ plants, the pots provide some protection.

You can transfer patches from one place to another, but make sure you dig very deep in to the ground as to get the entire mycelium network without damaging it, similar to transplanting a plant. I don't recommend you expect more mushrooms in an area just because a bunch of spores are there.

Generally speaking mushrooms like high humidity, and other variables depending on which type and where you live. The mushroom season is different for different regions as well, so if you'd like more info on specific shrooms and such, then send me a PM so we can talk about your location etc.

15. bump. any other experienced shroom growers who can help me? i want to have everything ready by spring or until the weather gets much better

16. Where can you acquire the spores?