Mushroom Hunting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mindgameLS2, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I usually go every year and I just recently moved and found out that my favorite kind (Morel) actually do grow here. I'm hoping to go sometime soon. Anyone else like to go or have an luck this year? If anyone else in Colorado has any good tips or areas for this area they want to share that would be awesome.

2. Morels and chanterelles. Yup, yup, yup.

3. Live In Illinios. Found Around 4 pounds the past few days, which is surpising sense its been a tad bit chilly. Happy Hunting.

4. wow, i didnt see that you were from foco the first time i opened this thread :)
    it is definitely season right now hahaha. theres some goodies everywhere man. get a book and just know what youre picking. CO is pretty juicy right now

5. Yeah I def know what I'm looking for. I used to go every year back in Kansas. I'm going to try and go this weekend and just find a spot that looks like it could be good and see if I have any luck. Unless I can find any locals that could point me to a decent spot.

6. OMG, sauteed morels in scrambled eggs or over broiled fish or steaks! I don't know if they grow in Florida or not but I've never seen any here. I used go collecting back in Ohio all the time. For whatever reason, my best spots were old orchards and big grassy areas with ancient hardwood shade trees like a big lawn or a park. Even better if the trees were so old they were half dead. I'd find them in the same spots every year.

Good huntin'!

7. Anybody know of any edible kinds in cent. florida?

8. I live in Colorado. I assume this goes for all mushrooms and Ive found out that around aspen trees they grow alot. Aspen trees arent actually trees but a fungus and many aspen trees in one place is actually 1 aspen that is connected. So mushrooms naturally like to grow on their roots and pine tree roots too. Woods are the best place obviously. I live in the mountains so its not hard if I wanted to find some.

9. the morels here in ore will be most often in the old burns and id think youd find them the same there. in some fir/pine forests they are less prolific but some fatties. also dealers wont buy from pickers taking from burns where boride bombers dump sluuuuuurrrrryyyy, i dont know if there is a negative quality to them or just the idea of funky fungi. were finally cooling down and should get some moisture soon the morels were great last year and we found some awsome coral shrooms but it was seasons end and they were mostly buggy already. will be out soon for the fungi! -D-

10. Morels and Chanterelles are quite delicious.

Every summer my dad and I go to Vermont to pick everything we can find, here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    puffballs

[​IMG]
    bolets

[​IMG]
    bolets and chicken

11. Hey Wolves, are all those^ edible? Awesome pics btw

12. yup, all edible

13. Got a good haul from my annual pilgrimage. I'll be doing another round at the local spot next week.

14. ah I love mycology

I gotta get out here and hunt pretty soon...tons of good stuff out here in WA ;)

15. My neighbor stopped in after foraging our woods, and had a great haul of morels, oyster, chicken of the woods and some portobello looking ones that the smaller ones are whitish-purple and the large ones are the normal brownish mushroom color. No idea offhand what those are. And a few puffballs, which I didn't know were edible [I am highly allergic to mushrooms and we do not allow them to be cooked in our house. Needless to say I have no interest in mushroom hunting :smoke:]

I know we have more kinds of shrooms in our woods and field, just don't know if they are all edible or poison or what.

16. Dang that's awesome! I might have to get into this. Any good books or websites you recommend on getting started with mushroom hunting?

17. I know my neighbor has a book that he carries to look shrooms up in. No idea the name of it but I would be willing to bet that it is on amazon. Probably something like mushroom identification or something.

/quick google

yup.
    [​IMG]

18. I live in east Tn, we hunt morels in the spring while alot of sun still hits the ground. They're yellow and black ones here. Tastey as hell with flour and pan fired :)

19. Me and my pup went searching this morning and found four different kinds and another unidentified fungi.
    Didn't feel like going today but now I'm glad I did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :p

20. This mornings discoveries.
    went farther in the woods today.
    Sorry about the quality. I used my phone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]