mushroom compost?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by greenmeany, Jan 20, 2009.

1. #21 Corto Malteze, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    Mycorrhyza is the name of a beneficial (natural) association of fungi and the roots. The fungi are already in the mix once you have manures and compost in the hole. Can be added in a store bought liquid if you didn't add manures and organics in the soil. Important to avoid phosphorous nute lock in poor soils.

Mushroom compost is an organic amendment (different). I Just thought I'd clarify that after reading about it.

2. where do i find this stuff how much does it cost and can it harm plants?

3. #23 greenmeany, Jan 23, 2009
    also, did you say that you cant use mycorrhiza if youve used manures or other organic nutrients? i know it says reduces the aamount you will need to fertilize but i want ot incorporate a healthy dosage of manure teas, stinging nettle/bracken teas and also this other stuff with bat guano and a couple other things.

4. its in promix bx as well

5. so can i use organic fertilizers just as often if i use this product? will it affect the growth of the fungus?

6. #26 Corto Malteze, Jan 23, 2009
    I read that mycorhyza compost is used mainly in grows that don't have mushrooms from manures,meals, compost....

Since you'll have manures and mushroom compost (as in any other kind of compost, old thing: it has mushrooms or fungi in it). So you won't need (from what I gathered) any mycorrhyza (the association between roots and fungi: the ones you have in your mix will be plenty and go on the roots anyway.)

I would add mushroom compost just like you'd be adding manures (it's a good amendment) with the right proportions. I'll add seaweed, manures and some meals. And yes, I'd say you can fert normally as without mushroom compost, it's just a good additional element in the organic mix.

:D

7. aight thanks man. i guess i dont need the mycorriza. i got the impression that i wouldnt need it if i had a good amount of microorganisms in the soil as it is.

8. That's exactly what I understood. The micorryza is already happening in there just with the compost and manures. Not to mention the mushroom compost. Your grow is gonna kick some serious ass: good luck to you Greenmeany. I'll let you know how the seaweed works out!

9. nice i wanna try some of that stuff too. i heard seaweed contains vital trace elemtns and i think it add a good amount of K as well? ill going to be using manure tea, stinging nettle tea and also the tradational fish emulsion tea.

10. #30 Corto Malteze, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    Yeah, sea weed is really an old school efficient amendment (full of K, like molasses and greensand), just like the horse shit and mushroom compost are well known. I'll also be using nettle tea (store bought): people swear by it here (rich in N, trace elements to protect the plant from diseases). Sounds like a plan!

11. too bad you dont live here in new england. the stuff is a legit weed. stinging nettles grow like crazy all around my property.

12. Aren't nettles in the Summer and Fall (lots of them too here but not now)? The one I'll use is a totally organic liquid so it'll be good. :wave:

13. You can purchase it here

This is Paul Stamet's website, he is a well known mycologist and sells a mychorrhizal formula on said website.

I will be doing an outdoor grow long this season(come late April) using compost as my medium. I will have two different patches, one control with just a compost mix, and another with the added mycogrow.

:smoking:

14. Good idea. :D But having compost and manures will give you all the fungi-root associations (= micorrhyza) the plants will need. We'll see how the comparison works.

15. yup i think the miycorizzal is only for sterilized potting soils. if your adding in your own organic nuts i think that you will see the microorganism activity as pretty healthy

16. ah, then this experiment would be useless!

thank you for that information

17. no problem my man

18. From what I have understood, it doesn't matter where or what soil you are using there are already beneficial fungi in the soil.

With the bought mycohorizal fungi, one gets the whole spectrum of beneficial fungi not just the few that are found in your area?

I am using some that I got in sample for from a gardening magazine, but i didn't do a control grow to see if it does make a difference. But from what I see the plant is the happiest I've ever grown and it is in pretty shoddy conditions.

19. yeah i think as long as you have nice organic compost and your using organic teas and already starting off with good stuff i dont think the stuff will make a huge difference but i guess it wouldnt hurt to give it a try.

20. Ya I would think that organic compost that you have been fermenting in the garden will definitely have all the stuff you need.