Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Insomnia muscle twitching

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by poisonousdaisy, May 5, 2021.

1. Hi. I have depression, PTSD, anxiety and insomnia due to my mental health conditions. I can't sleep if I don't have something to help put me to sleep, and I'm no longer allowed to take the previous sleep med I was taking. I was recently prescribed medical marijuana to help me sleep. It causes me to get muscles twitches/spasms for about an hour before I fall asleep, mostly in my legs, and it's extremely uncomfortable. It doesn't hurt, it's just really uncomfortable. It's sometimes better if I take half a dose or even less but it's still more than I can handle. (I got the GrassRoots oil or extract or something similar to try; "birthday cake") I'm hesitant to try more or even another strain because I have never had marijuana before this so I don't know very much about it. If I try a different strain, is it likely to cause me to have the same reaction or is it more likely isolated to this brand or strain? Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you
    Daisy

• Like Like x 1
  2. How are you taking your marijuana?

• Like Like x 1
  3. There is a good chance this is strain related.
    Try a different strain to find out.
    Strong indicas work best for sleep.
    It could also be dose size related.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've tried taking it by mouth as it is and I've baked it into things and I've had the same thing happen both ways.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi! Thanks. I've tried less. I went to a quarter of a serving size and I still had the muscle twitching, maybe a little better but still noticeable and still uncomfortable, and it took me twice as long to go to sleep, so I don't necessarily think it's the dose size. It also made me a bit giggly, something I wasn't expecting considering it's supposed to put me to sleep and I thought the "high's" wouldn't stop by.

Maybe I'll try a different strain then. It's just expensive. Biggest reason for dragging my feet. ‍

• Like Like x 1
  6. Im not sure about the twitching, it might be more related to caffeine or even withdrawal from your previous meds for sleep. My eyes twitch in the evening if I have too much caffeine in the day.

For sleep you may want to look at making cbn's. Cbn is what thc and cbd degrades into. And cbn is very good for sleep, but it's less psychoactive. I do a double decarbing on marijuana buds or concentrates, and mix that with a single decarbed material, and mix with coconut oil and lecithin to make canna capsules. A normal decarb is generally 40 minutes at 240 degrees F. A double decarb would be twice the time or 80 minutes. I use a nova fx to decarb with so I just cycle it two times. Hope this helps, best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and TBH, I'm not willing to give that up. Hopefully it's not that and changing the strain helps. I was thinking of getting seeds and growing my own to make oils and butter, but it's still illegal to own a plant with the medical card and I'd have no where to put it. The basement isn't a good place for anything and I have cats, so I can't put it anywhere in the house. The only place is on the second floor balcony and it would be highly visible there, besides needing to be brought in during the cold winters. I did get some canned buds to try, so I guess I'll try to make some butter with that soon. Thank you for your instruction. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I’ve noticed that the twitching can be directly related to 2 things: tolerance and strain. If you’re pron to twitching u should aim for straight indica and keep ur tolerance high. I’ve found both sativa/low tolerance can make me twitchy (but I need sativa for anxiety so ...catch22 ‍♂️

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1