Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Munchies and Metabolism question

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by SmokinFlanker6, Jul 29, 2010.

1. I have a question about the munchies, but probably not the one you'd think.

I've been smoking for a while and I've always wondered, when you smoke pot does it raise or lower your metabolism. What I'm trying to ask is this, are munchies a side effect of a sped up metabolism, or just from the weed.

Like if I smoke and don't eat will it burn more calories?

Not that I really care. haha, I pretty much eat whatever I want when I smoke. But lately I;m trying to drop a little wait and get my speed up for sports, so the munchies aren't helping, ;)

Thanks guys

2. I'm guessing your metabolism is sped up because your heart is sped up too.

3. party party party! :smoking:

4. I believe your metabolism is sped up if you're high.

5. See that's what I was thinking too.

But I wasn't sure at all. haha. I always forget the THC actually tends to be a stimulant, even though it doesn't feel like it.

6. Wow, this is really cool. I hope they do a study on this. I'm going to live regular life, but when I smoke I'm going to try and not munch out and see if I loe anything in a month or so, even a pound would be a very significant thing. But it needs to be tested extensively and with set conditions.

I hope for marijuana, that this is true.

7. While the increase in the speed of blood flow can attribute to an increase in metabolism, this is not the main cause for the heightened appetite caused by Marijuana. A larger factor would be how THC affects various pleasure receptors in the brain.

So you might possibly lose weight if you didn't eat during a munchie phase, but not an astounding amount considering that marijuana only increases metabolism by a fairly marginal amount. I'd just go for a jog or other traditional means of working out to lose weight to avoid the damage to your lungs, body crashes, and other unwanted side affects of the drug which outweigh the benefit of the slight weight loss you might gain.

Marijuana is a cool herb that can be enjoyed to toy around with consciousness and to gain insight and reflection upon our lives, but it needs to be recognized that in most cases it's not a healthy substance for active, fully-healthy adults. Smoke the herb, don't let it smoke you.

This is mostly based on some last minute research I did and some different speculation, so if a veteran of this kind of knowledge would like to prove me wrong with more accurate research, I'd gladly invite that. Still, that's the most accurate answer I have.

8. Haha, thanks for the info. +rep for the research

And don't worry, I don't have any plans to start the stoner diet plan. lol :D

just thought it was an interesting question.

9. :yay: