Multi-strain grow, RDWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by grislyadams, Aug 2, 2011.

1. you can get a cool tube for that on ebay i got lucky when i got mine one had a very small crack so they sent me a new one and let me keep the old one a little glass glue and its a good as new

2. i have almost same setup first time doing hydro though i got 4 buckets in the tent no drippers though and put 2 400 gph to move the water from the 20 gal tote to the buckets in the tent but i broke my og kush lst so now they are topped heheh also have 2 in dirt as a back up ones in dirt start to look droopy though think i water to much every 2 day

3. Originally, I had a dripper on each bucket but I'm still working out some issues with it. I have to make a new res just like the one I just made (lol) with 2 more bulkheads on it, one for a second recirculating pump and another for dripping. But for now, I'm getting low on smoke so I'm just running with it as it is.

4. i wouldnt use drippers just under current the systems use a 20 gal tote 2 inch uniseal your buckets together in two rows and get a 400 800 gallon an hour pump to pump the water out of the 2 end buckets back to the 20 gallon tote think i spent like 180 to build my system it rocks if you do it this way you only need air stones in your 20 tote but i put in each bucket to the more air the better this way no mater what each bucket test the same and you dont have to open the buckets up just open the tote up to test and i hucked up a 200 gallon an hour pump to drain system with a valve on it a lot easyer this way i think i did alot of reading on hydro for about 3 months before i pick the system i wanted if you need pics just type in under current they sell for around 800 and you can make same one with out chiller for well under 200 bucks

5. bulkheads cost why too much you could buy like 10 uniseals for the price of one bulkhead for a 2 inch uniseal cost 2.35 each

6. Why not use drippers? When I drop the water level, the rockwool gets dry and crumbly and doesn't support the massive plants. It only comes on once a day for 15 min and that's just enough of a passive system to fix the problem.
    As far as uniseals, I looked into that after I had already set up with 3/4" bulkheads, which flow nicely, plenty of current although I am going to add another of the same pumps eco185 so I can run one line to each side rather than split a line at the first buckets. Uniseals are going to be an upgrade down the line, but just not yet. This is my 4th crop with this system and everything runs smoothly so I'm hanging with it for now until I recoup some of my investment. BTW, my 3/4" fittings cost 2.85 each and the screen attachments to prevent roots from clogging the lines were another dollar but I only need half as many screens as actual fittings as they are only on the outflow of each bucket. In the end it's what works for you that matters.

On a side note, has anybody any experience with Barney's Farm LSD? It's growing weird, a little spindly but VERY branchy with lots of tops. The rest of the strains are growing as I expected just the LSD is different, maybe an odd pheno?

7. Should be last post for this thread.

After a year of working with dwc and about $500 invested, I am going to switch back to soil. This setup takes up too much time with maintenance and tweaking and is totally immobile when running so I am switching back to a simpler method, soil.

Res temps, even with my diy chiller were too high and most plants on this system experienced stunted growth and very low yields. Still it is fun trying out all the different strains. So far Barney's Farm Red Cherry Berry has it for me, truly medical grade helps with blown back and knee, high cbn %. LSD is tasty too, but very heady and not so much for pain.

8. dwc suck read up on under current systems they rock best i used very easy and half the work as a dwc system less work means its more fun dont take the fun out of something you love