Multi-Strain - 140w LED - DR40 - Fox Farms OF/Trio

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by RJ42, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Hi RJ,
    Science has been an old and worthy foe many times in my past academic career, lol! I just plain don’t know about distilled water. Personally, I would want to know the baseline distilled water pH, just to eliminate it as a possible cause. I know that adding nutrients to any type of water is going to change the pH. I’m not trying being critical, just wondering and hopefully learning too! Maybe someone will chime in and let us know?

I’ll say this; you got the plants this far looking good without a pH meter. That fact blows me away. I’ve read the same thing about different strains having different tolerances to nutrient levels. I’ve been living with what I think is slight nutrient burn too throughout my entire grow. Like you said they are still growing and as long as the burns don’t progress or stunt growth you can keep on going.

2. @superbadb

Hey man, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm not really sure about the whole PH thing, I guess it certainly couldn't hurt to start testing my water. Regardless, I'll probably start using tap water from here on out just because I am too lazy to pick up distilled, so I'll start testing the PH anyways.

3. What's so special about that smart pots ? And do use full spec with the pg?

4. Hey RJ,

Let me know what you find! Lazy, lol. I want to be lazy after my full flush or maybe it was becasue I was lazy I had to flush my plants..not sure.

5. Hey I have a similar tent ds40 (2x2x4.7) and I'm
    Using a fero led light. I'm having heat issues. What are your temps and ventilation setup?

6. Your right but wrong. Distilled water has a PH, always will. 7 completely neutral. Ph is just a scale for acidity/alkalinity. Everything has a PH value, even you. 1 on the scale is pure acid. 14 on the scale is pure base. 7(H2O our standard when pure) is the perfect balanced neutral. When you distill water you remove everything but the water, thus ensuring that it is a neutral 7.

:smoke:

7. #28 RJ42, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    @realgamer84
    The special thing about them to me, is the dimensions of the pots. Supposedly they work a lot better than regular pots due to increased root airflow.Yes, I do use full spec. I start off with just the veg lights to keep my soil moist with seedlings, then after a week or so switch over for good.

@smudge840
    My tent temperature is always 2-5 degrees above room temp. Setup is pretty simple. Cheap 80 CFM for exhaust, all windows closed except for 1 with a computer fan pulling a little air in. Pulling the air in made about a 10 degrees temp difference for me, so you might want to try that.

@TroutTalker
    Glad to have you man. Gotta love trailer park boys.

@socalcloset
    Thanks for the info dude! Good to know.

8. Quick picture update

Attached Files:

9. Hey RJ42,
    Looking good man. My papaya had burning/lockout looking leaves like your sour cream. It's finally starting to improve I think. Here's what I found. My ph meter needed calibrating. I was adjusting ph to 5.4. I thought I was at 5.8. That's all I could find other than flushing and lowering ppm a little. My NL didn't seem to mind the low ph at all. Since getting the ph sorted out, the papaya seems to be improving. Looks like your sour cream is doing better too. Just thought this might help for things to look for in the future. Peace.

10. That's good to know. It's weird how touchy some of those gals can be.

11. Left: RKS
    Front: Lemon Skunk
    Back: Sour Cream

The sour cream is still showing tons of leaf problems. Tried everything to fix it, not working. Whatever haha, she is growing like crazy. Scorched the sour cream a little with a CFL, whoops.
    I've stopped the distilled water thing. Totally not worth it Like everyone else says. Haven't noticed any difference. PH testing my water before feeding, like always.

Attached Files:

12. Looking nice...what are your temps in that DR 40?

13. Three lovely ladies. Very nice bro. Cheers.

14. #35 RJ42, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
    Trout:
    Always room temperature. 81 in my room now, 81 in the tent...even with the two added cfl's. However, adding 1 more cfl jumps the temp up about 10 degrees, so I'm definitely at my limit.

Tastebud:
    That NL you've got is looking fantastic! Bet you'll get a huge yield. Too bad about the papaya. I have hard water as well, always wondered how much of a difference it makes. Think you'll invest in an RO system in the near future?
    You've definitely convinced me to pick up some of those air-pots!! Also like to do my next grow in coco, seems a lot cheaper/easier....and you're plants are obviously loving it.

15. Hey RJ,

Looking good man. Any plans for LST yet? As an aside the Pro-Grow leds are pretty hardy, my little 90 watt dropped 2 feet and survived. The little branches it hit, not so much,lol.

16. :smoke:

Attached Files:

17. #38 SoCalCloset, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
    RJ---from the pics I see a PH problem. The twisted leaves on all 3 plants and the yellowing on the papaya.
    Please explain your feed/water schedule and what ph you have been running so we can get this sorted out for you.

Okay went back and re-read everything. No nutes so far and only ca-mag occasionally. No ph measurements taken. okay here we go.

Feed the papaya she is screaming for nitrogen ( yeah thats why she is yellowing). If you don't want to use a lot of nutes try mixing up at like 1/5 strength.

Secondly, the PH problem. You might be watering with distilled water but are you checking the ph in your runoff? Please do. That will tell you the ph of your soil, if its low water with alkaline water, if its high water with acidic water. When growing in soil its not your water ph going in that is the most important, its the water coming out of your pots that tell you what is going on inside.

From what I see I would say your soil ph is way low. Prolly round 5. Check the run off. If it is low water them with ph8 water and check your runoff again. keep doing this( your ph flushing ) and adjusting til your runoff comes out around 6-6.5 . You get what I'm saying right.

18. #39 RJ42, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012

I did some research and came to the same conclusion about the yellowing leaves being a nitrogen problem. I fed all the plants a good amount nutes right before I took the pictures yesterday, actually.
    They have certainly responded well. They all grew a substantial amount and the lower leaves on the sour cream look a lot better as well.
    I stopped with the distilled water a few weeks ago, just feeding them with PH'd 2 day old tap-water now. I also added a little dolomite lime to each plant in case I am really having a PH problem. Hopefully things clear up now. Based on how all three of the plants responded, I certainly waited a bit too long for nutes.

And socal, I believe you have tastebud and I confused. He's the one with the papaya :p

I will measure runoff next watering and see what I can find. I've been lazy with PH since I started testing. I will go nuts trying to get the right PH these next few weeks and see how it helps.

Pictures:
    Sour Cream
    Lemon Skunk
    RKS

Attached Files:

19. Sorry bro, I thought you were both running the Pap.