Multi garden grow 2016

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by AnonymousBuds, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Have a roughly 400sft garden I dug this winter. [​IMG]Turns out my landlord/ in law sold the place and I have till July 31st to get out. So I'm planting as many rows of onions and potatoes here as possible and will harvest just before we leave of they are ready. I have 2 8ftx2ft beds at a friends house as well as a couple other various sized raised beds. I also have a 1000w MH setup indoors for seedlings and after all my seeds are done I'll be growing some warmer zone plants in that room. [​IMG]A few out door container grown plants as well. Just hoping to have a good experience and share it with GC. We went with organic soil,peat moss, bone meal, Blood meal, and I have a whole slew of organic fertilizers. We also have mushroom compost, mulch, and I have a couple 5g Rubbermaid worm bins loaded with worms and compost should be ready around may. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So anyway there's some photos, I'll keep this updated week by week. The big garden will be more of a "I'm not really maintaining it" project as legally I'm not supposed to alter the property anymore, so I'll prolly just water with a hose instead of running my drip system here. Its a Shame though i was just getting prepped to finally have a nice sized garden again. Its been Two years of moving place to place. Cheers guys, hopefully some of you will sub up and share your garden links here too.

Sent from my Z936L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yesterday got rows done leaving two for transplants that will produce early. [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Havnt got a water system hooked up yet but its all onion and potatoes now. Some container tomatoes on the side and various flowers. Gonna get pics of the other plots soon too

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. update?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Damn that sucks that you did all that work and now have to move!

I too have been moving a lot the last 5 years, 5 moves! Hopefully that has come to an end as I just purchased a house.

There's not a ton of sun in my backyard so I ended up building a raised bed in my side yard, which is not the ideal location as it is sloped.

Here's the first 4'x16' raised bed I just finished. I intend to build at least 3 or 4 in this location - once that's full I'll move into the front yard :D

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 7
  6. Looks great. Yeah I'm in the city so its been hard finding a place with a yard like I have now, way expensive. But I'm a part of a small 3man garden group. We just bought 3 city lots and plan on turning them into gardens to feed homeless shelters and have places for ppl who wanna garden garden.
    Here's a few shots of my garden now some of my potted stuff and our main lot for the community grow op.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 4
  7. The last photo is all stuff I got out of Aldo's dumpster ( I dumpster dive a lot, I mean a lot. Every day of the week. Sometimes I hit the grocery store dumpster 4 times a day. I havnt bought produce, toiletries, coffee in months. Most of the time its organic and non GMO. Guessing because ppl can't afford it so it hits its best used by date and gets bucked. I've never gotten sick and I'm keeping shit out of landfills. Cheese, yogurt, produce, and toiletries are the most common items I find in the trash. Just some tips if you don't mind getting dirty). I got a nice pepper, two sages, a Rosemary and oregano. I got about 20 more but I'm putting those in the community plots. Here's a pic of all the beds we made for the various lots around town. We still have to clean up the trees and over growth on the other lots. It took forever for the paperwork to come through on the states end so were getting a pretty late start. I wanted to have the beds in place Two months ago but hey, the state sucks. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. Also sorry I've been way way busy and have been updating but I'll try and keep it updated on here. I also have a nice big chunk of bee balm and lemon balm out side my garden, I'll use for making teas with through the winter. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Looking good man! That's going to be one hell of a garden! Are you setting up any type of irrigation system on those lots? That's awesome that you're growing food for the homeless.

I do a little dumpster diving also but mostly dumpsters in residential neighborhoods that people use when clearing out their house and stuff like that. I've always been interested in checking out the local grocery store dumpsters but haven't yet. I think I may go check them out soon. Any tips?

• Like Like x 3
  10. You will collect way more stuff that can be resold, or end up saving you loads of money, diving, commercial bins vs roleoffs in residential area. Plus you don't have to wait for delinquency, blight, shit like that, the bins are over flowing every day. But I will say the city is usually hit, you want suburbs where ppl don't need to check bins. One huge tip......look for super fancy upscale furniture stores with roleoffs. I've made over 6k$ since last fall. As soon as a product line goes out they toss it, were talking 3k$ beds, 1200$ rugs, 600$ endtables all either new in the boxes, or a minor scratch, I take them and sell them at half price on CL in areas were ritsy ppl live and they eat it up. Dec. I dumpster 3 1000+ dollar rugs and sold them for 400 a piece. 1200$ for a couple hours of digging through a dumpster to fish em out, not to shabby. And its not stealing it's in the trash, places like Disney will spraypaint or slice open dolls and destroy merch just so ppl can't get it for free.

If you're looking for produce look for big boxes, if looking for stuff like chips, toiletries, cookies, any unhealthy stuff lol look for bags. Most bags at groceries are just trash though. Also lots of grocery stores use compactors, so you might be s.o.l. aldi if you have that is the honey hole. They do bi weekly sales such as gardening stuff after 2 weeks 60% of its in the dumpster. I got 15 bags of garden soil, hose heads, garden sheers, hoses, a rake all this year, plus the plants hanging baskets as well and they always have produce too. If the bin is not on a wall or in a coral its 100% legal once the stuff is in the dumpster it become public domain. If its in a coral behind a fence or anything it's private property. Most of the time if you're nice when a store person comes out and ask what you're doing they won't mind. I usually say somthing like " jist getting some food, you guys throw away lots of good produce." Dont be throwing shit out of the bin without putting it all back after your done looking. Or else they will crack down on you for trashing the place. Check places like staples, outdoor world, borders. Lots of times at places like that you find high value items new in the boxes, say the seasons line is over they right it as loss collect insurance and toss it. Then you can get it and sell it on eBay and make a bit of cash. I usually don't sell anything that isn't workth at least 20$ everything else I only take if It can be repurposed. You will find tons of contained ranging from 2-5 gallons I use them for potted plants.

We have 2 300g containers and a bunch of drip line we got from the farm we work at. Still need to find a way on the 3rd plot. Could possibly use a bunch of dumpstered trash cans I have.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  11. man, great work @AnonymousBuds you've been busy! I've got a bunch of friends that dumpster dive too, and the food is always good lol.

12. I some how missed this post. Great tips, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge! I am def going to get on this :)

Nice work on that garden!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yeah just treat the bins and the managers/employees with respect so they don't want the bins locked up.