Multi-Cola LST Guide w/pix

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by aj69420g, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Ok this is how I usually LST to maximize my yields. Went to the trouble of making these illustrations to help some friends, so I figured I'd share.

This entire illustration is a White Widow sativa dominant plant. I fimmed at the 5th leaf set to allow a little height. The stem should still be somewhat pliable at the 5th leaf set.
    [​IMG]

plucking/trimming 80% of the 5th node made the plant think the center shoot where each leaf set typically comes from is NOT your main shoot. It began thinking my 2nd, 3rd, & 4th leaf sets were the main colas. It started doing this 3-5 days after plucking.
    [​IMG]

I then few days later pinned down the 3rd, 4th, & 5th leaf set so sugars took less energy to get to what the plant thinks are the main colas. Mine totaled in 6 Main's and many more little ones :D
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the Cola sites I plan on training to the edge of container and letting rise up.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the Main cola base stems. They are labeled in accordance to the photo above.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of how they were pinned down with bent coat hanger wire. Whenever they grew 3-5 inches up, I'd remove the pins and pin down the new growth until it reached the outer edge of my grow container.
    [​IMG]

Here is it right when I switched to HPS a few days prior to changing light schedule.
    [​IMG]

And here is what happened to her after I hit the 12/12 light schedule
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few weeks later became this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I added a screen to support the many tall colas to maximize my yield.

Hope these visual perspectives help some people.:smoking:

2. fucking awesome. you made a spider bush.

i wouldnt have cut the head of the operations like that though, wtf mayn?

every cola you expose turns into a head. its cool. i may just bend my bitches over! haha

3. Thats for mini cola growth, a bunch of mini colas grew in the open space there. Plus 6 main colas was plenty!

4. yeah, i agree. i edited my post :p

good job

i may bend my girls over from the neck and see if the same happens. how long was veg on this plant for? a couple weeks? no lies please :)

5. 30 days. I think it was too long. I'd recommend 18-21 days.

6. haha, only if there is enough light, good soil thats not always soaked, good air movement and a little bit of nutes

7. +1 if I could bro, nice work!

In the 7th pic down, if you top or fim the circled nodes and give them a few days to recover before switching to 12/12 you can help even out the canopy a little bit and encourage more uniform colas across the whole plant.

It kinda depends on your setup and how the plants are oriented in relation to the lamp though.
    Haven't tried a VSCROG yet myself, but it's on my list of things to do.
    I'm all about maximizing yield! :cool:

8. this thread is great! finally someone made an LST illustration!!!!

9. ...

So, do the parts you hold down to the soil on the ends develop roots, too? is this an "axiom"?

10. #10 aj69420g, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    No, its simply to allow sugars made for new growth to flow to the newest growth 'auxin point' easier. Resulting in faster growth in at the end of whatever is pinned down.

Think of your stem as a hose, when your main stem is upright it must use photosynthesis to create enough energy to push the sugars up the hose. just like if you wanted to pump water in a hose up a tower you'd need a pump with energy (electricity).

BUT if the hose doesnt have to go straight up, and it is laid on flat ground the water flows much easier on its own. Same principal with bending over your stem.

11. i can deal with that. thanks, aj.

12. Could you explain how you kept the colas "pinned down"? I see you're using bent clothes hangers but how is it secured to the ground? Other than that little bit you have completely cleared up my confusion with LSTing!

13. i agree, this could be an lst sticky.

14. #14 aj69420g, Jan 30, 2013
    This is a good question I'm glad you brought it up because I forgot to mention this.

I used bent coat hangers, this was proved inefficient but worked. I just flared the ends of 'U' shaped bent up coat hangers and stuck them in. After one watering the dirt compacted on them and settled.

But there is a MUCH more efficient and less stressful way on your plant to do this. Thanks to our good friend "NotTheMama".

**NotTheMama Pin Down Method**
    Using green pipe cleaners and thumb tacks, wrap a loop with the pipe cleaner around the thumb tack pin. Then pin the tack w/ pipe cleaner to the side of your container (Provided its plastic or something a thumb tack works in.)

Then the firm wire in the pipe clean can be bent however you need to keep your plant hooked down. Reason I say green is the plant wont see it and will grow better around it.

Here is a picture from my current grow in my sig to illustrate the "NotTheMama" way of keeping pipe cleaners on the plant.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture from the same plant showing how its pinned to my container.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of that same plant after trimming away all the old fan leaves. I did this so the main shoots new growth can all get light. Plus all the sugars that were being used to support all the fan leaves I trimmed away, will provide more readily available nutrients to the new growth. The pipe cleaners are also handy for training limbs. As you can see in the illustration below, I made a double hook out of a pipe cleaner to hold one shoot in a position where it could have better light, closer to the main stem.
    [​IMG]

Bmeat:

Thanks man, already talked to Yoda about how to go about making a sticky. He told me to make this and link him. So I did, we will see I suppose.

15. Really? WOW..... Could you explain that a little further please? Thats amazing, but i dont understand it.

Really? :confused:

16. #16 aj69420g, Jan 30, 2013
    Sure, plants dont see green light, thats why shoots and leaves grow into each other.. So the refraction of the light off green objects will be green to a plant. thats why they make green headband lights for going in your grow during the dark period. I dont personally believe in them. just because you can still disturb them other ways, but thats another subject.

It really isnt too important what color you use. But I see mine hugging and growing around the green pipe cleaners much better than brown coat hangers. Seems to be working to me.

17. Thanks man, gonna try this out on my next grow! Thinkin about posting a journal as well. We will see!

18. Thats pretty cool aint it, i didnt know that thank you,

19. I got some green pipe cleaners, nice and soft and green makes sense,

:eek:I broke her stem last night......... Not all the way but definitely more than 2/3, I tied her in such a way that she is back together, i checked her this morning and she seems fine not signs of droopiness, (Browning color around the wound) would it take more time for her to show signs?
    I hope she pulls through.... its very near the bottom so there wouldn't be much left of her from the break down......

20. #20 aj69420g, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    Was this the main stem? It would show pretty quickly, depending on where the break is. Cause the break in nutrients hasnt hit the new growth yet.

EDIT: Ohhhh ok, I would prop it up and give it some kinda splint to stay together it will heal. keep the wound and the wound only moist. it will help keep the healing process moving with the evaporation of the moisture. if you can keep it covered and wrapped in gauze like a real wound that would be ideal. to help keep it together. if you gauze it, do it tightly so the break doesn't keep re separating.