Multi-cat households

Discussion in 'Pets' started by handaman, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Hey guys, I have a weird situation, and I could use some perspective.

My wife and I have a cat already, and we’re taking in another cat from this woman who is on hospice and estimates that in 4-6 weeks she will be unable to care for her cats anymore. This part is easy, we’re comfortable having two cats, and both cats have a history of living with other cats. With a little bit of luck and a little bit of work, we should be able to go forward as a happy family.

What we’re struggling with is she actually has 3 cats, all brothers, and all about 10 years old. They seem well-socialized, and really sweet, but old cats are hard to rehome, and she’s been trying to rehome them for two months already, and I’m not convinced she’s going to find someone, because they’re old, and she’s particular (the screening process for us took a week and a half).

So, bleeding hearts that we are, we’re debating the merits of adopting all of them. Mostly, we’re concerned we won’t be able to give all 4 cats the attention they deserve, and our resident cat is particular about her litter box and we worry about box management. On the other hand, we could make the last months of this woman’s life that much better because she won’t have to worry about finding a home for her cats.

How manageable is four cats for two people, and if you’ve done it, what were your tricks to making sure they all were taken care of? What would you guys do?

2. I used to live in an area near a park and we were the only place without large dogs. We had a couple of cats. People would sometimes dump their cats at the park and the cats eventually would end up at my place. I found homes for a lot of cats while we lived there. (Even a few Jehovah's Witnesses left with a new pet cat tucked into a cardboard box with a bit of food! lol)

I say take them all. If they all get along, it isn't much different than when you have just two. Cat boxes still need to be emptied regularly, food needs to be put down, ears must be scratched, etc.

I'd suggest confining the new cats in an area where you can have a cat box(es) just for them, for a few days. That way your fussy girl will have a little time before they find, and start using, her cat box. But I think she (and you guys) will adjust. Separate bowls for feeding.

And you have the luxury of having time to find a good home for the 3 brothers, if it proves necessary. Their current owner doesn't.

Granny

• Like Like x 7
  3. I grew up on a farm with many many cats
    ensure they have their own place or areas of land, including sleeping area, ensure your cat is the alpha that may take training ...lol and yeah a poop area in the garden over a litter tray as it would be too much
    I'd keep your cat inside thats his land the others sleep outside perhaps around the back door? in boxs?

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cat Tax
    2E3C92AD-5D18-4848-8A60-E33785C4B7B6.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Just 4 cats? You can do it. I have 2 cats (used to be 3 an owl got one), 3 dogs that are mostly indoor and a large chicken flock. They all get along.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Noble act to help the older lady. older cats are pretty laid back and lazy.
    If you can get the littler box’s from the old lady the rehomed cats shouldn’t have a big issue adjusting

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for the responses everyone. I’m a little surprised that you guys are so unanimous, but maybe I shouldn’t be.

I feel the need to add that these cats do come with stipulations- they’ve been indoor cats their entire lives, so she doesn’t want them going to a home where they’ll be allowed outdoors, and she was adamant that the one we’re adopting for sure be allowed to sleep in our bed. Obviously, enforcement isn’t going to happen, but I still want to be honest with her about what we’re willing to do. My point is we’re talking more along the lines of cats as children than cats as pets.

We’ve come up with a couple of ideas, like maybe we could foster them, or we could be a contingency home if nobody else comes forward. I haven’t discussed this with the owner yet, and it’s possible that she wouldn’t be willing to go along with it. Some part of me just feels that if we’re willing and able to take the others under some conditions, we should just offer to take them regardless so she can relax.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. you ain't taking just one cat you are taking a crowd, so the conditions should be far less
    5 cats all inside for many cat lovers mee too, would be a nightmare

that said my last cat was a giver as the old lady went to a home
    best ever cat I owned tho ...so well trained I was expecting it to use the toilet re You tube ....lol

In europe its popular to see cats rented out to old folk homes (and hospitals) for the day to return at night
    but Id be surprised if you get a new BMW outta of it?

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yeah, when she hit me with the second set of screening questions I walked away, but she emailed back and seemed like she was willing to be flexible. Now I’m emotionally invested and definitely getting at least one.

There’s something to be said for getting cats from retired folks; we started with two cats, don’t know the backstory on the one we still have, but the owner of the other one had passed. He was a great cat, obviously well-loved, used to meet me at the front door when I got home from work, eradicated the neighborhood gophers, and let us walk him on a leash. We were very sad when we had to say goodbye last summer.

These cats seem really well-trained, the owner says she even does emergency drills so they know to get in their carriers if something goes wrong. I think of myself as a pretty good cat owner, but she’s got me over here feeling like the bad parent.

• Like Like x 2
  10. screening questions? oh no you are more patient than me lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gotta love the gifts the cats leave on the porch. Birds, mice, gophers, moles, bunnies, squirrels, snakes. Sometimes just internal organs of who knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. My sister is a RN and she also traps and saves cats. She's got 30? cats in her house. If your cats don't work out , I'd look for a cat rescue person,they always take them.
    I have 1 cat who sleeps in entryway,front room of my home.
    She also has a heated room in barn.
    We have many acres we walk regularly with the dog, she always walks with us.:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. and at 5 am in my bedroom ...UGH! ...lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. We are getting the cats. Or rather, I think we are. It’s not official, but I told the owner we’re interested in taking them all and she’s excited, so it’s probably going to happen. She picked up pamphlets on assimilation at the vet for us to go over together…

• Like Like x 1
  15. When I adopted a cat I said to the lady owner to come over any time
    and say hi to your baby...she showed up 2 weeks later,
    crying and fussing a very teary moment for all
    I didn't encourage her back ...lol

be warned!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Met the kitties yesterday. They’re all pretty sweet. We’re still not finalized, but pretty sure we’re going to get them.
    A8B659B9-0410-41F1-96E3-E40BA797D0EF.jpeg
    545AD532-0E63-4F8D-9A92-DC421DDD5D4B.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Shit ...my cat saw these pics, she's now wanting a scratching post, hell a nicer house too lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah, this woman’s house is seriously catified. She has 3 of those scratching posts and nice cat trees all over the place. A robotic litter box…

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. A robotic litter box…???? screw the cat..I'll take it for myself ..lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. And just like that it’s official. The kitties are going to come live with us. We’re all a little manic, and I’m a little stoned. This is kind of a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1