Mulch.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Stankie, May 23, 2012.

1. Thanks Stankie. That was my main question about mulching. Whether or not seeds would pop through.

2. Stankie

You've definitely got the mulch deal down. Beautiful!

I'm starting out with White Clover which is about 10" tall (LOL) and then we layed Comfrey leaves 4 layers thick and covered with compost. Once we get the plants in the ground this weekend I'll do exactly what you've got going in your garden. Predictions are for a 'warmer than usual' summer this year and as you know the mulching is a great water saver.

CQ

3. Chicken,
    Is that a cane corso? You dont see those much in my area and if you do they are poorly bred with lots of medical issues. Beautiful animal.

4. I think it depends on the 'strength' of the seeds of a particular family of plants. My bigger seeds I put under full mulch, medium seeds under 1/2 mulch and things like my lettuce and beets pretty much under just a very light layer of mulch. Most seeds will pop up through mulch, but the smaller ones might have more trouble getting through really thick mulch. I just try to get enough to help keep the surface moist and prevent a crust from forming.

That's what I warned about in the original post. Mulch is awesome for keeping the soil moist and regulating evaporation. Saves water and makes for much happier plants for sure. Couple that with soaker hoses ... oh yeah! :hello: Makes for easy watering and the inevitable 'forgetting' to water.

5. he's a mix between a REDNOSE PIT, and a american pit,

i have the parents also,,,,

damn loyal dog he is,, mighty fine,,

now if only his old ass ornary dad would die, all would be peacefull around my house, that dog [ the father] will bite,:smoke:

6. mulch also improves biomass and organic matter in the soil, which also increases your CEC or Cation Exchange Capacity, which is a indirect mesurement of the soils humus and ability to hold bioavailable nutrients

for reference, your typical conventional tillage farm is LUCKY to reach 2% organic matter and has a CEC around 5

a permaculture farm will generally have closer to 22% organic matter and a CEC of 25!

Mulch is a KEY FACTOR to reaching this level of soil health, not to mention the mychorzzial in the soil that help plants to share nutrients between themselves

7. Dam! That's some serious mulch. :laughing:

Nice

8. People around here sell first cut alfalfa, I wonder if i should hop on.

My first outdoor grow and i am researching alot, basically trying to enrich the garden best as possible! Have a couple cheap bags of cedar mulch and cow manure so far.

Alot of mulch and never worry about overwater eh, mine wre directly in earth

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum