MT Could Outlaw Driving For Up To 25 Days After Smoking Pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MT Could Outlaw Driving For Up To 25 Days After Smoking Pot
    TokeoftheTown / 1,17,2011

[​IMG]
    Montana Medical Grower's Association
    The Montana House Judiciary Committee will meet Wednesday to discuss DUI legislation, House Bill 33, sponsored by Republican Ken Peterson, which provides that any amount of a "dangerous drug" in a driver's body results in the conclusion that the person is impaired.

While the bill stipulates that if the drug has been prescribed by a licensed physician and taken as prescribed, the driver is not guilty of violating the law, it fails to include physician recommendations for medical marijuana. The bill thus fails to provide appropriate protection for patients, according to Jim Gingery, executive director of the Montana Medical Grower's Association.

"To exclude those drivers who are taking prescribed pharmaceuticals while omitting patients who are using a recommended alternative treatment is not in the best interest of the public nor is the assumption of impairment without proper testing," Gingery said.

[​IMG]

Photo: KRTVJim Gingery, Montana Medical Grower's Association:
    "This is not a fair test of impairment"​

"The Montana Medical Growers Association and the medical cannabis community are fully supportive of actions designed to reduce DUIs in the State of Montana," Gingery said. "Montana leads the nation in the number of fatalities where alcohol is involved. While we applaud the Legislature for wanting to tighten the laws regarding driving while intoxicated, they need to take into account how different drugs affect the ability of the driver and how long traces of different substances may remain in the system but have no impact on the patient."

"This bill, while seeming to be well-intentioned, needs to be modified," Gingery said. "It does not take into account that there is no standardized means to test a person who is utilizing medical cannabis as a recommended treatment. The current testing procedures will read positive up to 25 days after a person ingests medical cannabis."
    "This is not a fair test of 'impairment,' " Gingery said. "Any driver deserves the right to an appropriate, scientific-based formula to determine driving impairment."

If the goal is to protect the citizens of Montana, then the legislators should hold off on making any changes until a standardized impairment test can be established for both pharmaceuticals and medical cannabis, according to the Montana Medical Grower's Association. Recommendations for how this issue may be resolved are contained in The 2011 Legislator's Guide to Medical Cannabis, distributed by MMGA to both House and Senate members on Friday.

The Legislator's Guide specifically requests that direction be given to the State Crime Lab to work with drug enforcement and the medical marijuana community to establish appropriate impairment guidelines for medical cannabis as has been done with alcohol.

For more information on the Legislator's Guide,
    visit www.solutions4montana.org or montanamedicalgrowers.com.

2. These types of issues are going to end up being a hornets nest once cannabis is legalized. They will be looking to keep laws like this to stall cannabis progress.

3. So wait, they say if you are prescribed it via a physician, and you are taking vicoden, but are driving, thats ok, but you take 1 hit from a bowl, many hours before driving, and your not ok? Thats got to be the dumbest shit i have ever read

4. Cool. Now I shall start a campain to outlaw any alcohol in the system while driving. If you even show up as .000000001%, mandatory 10 yr state pen prison sentence.

I will offer wine at the ceremony.

5. I say everyone is an impaired driver worthy of years in prison because we all have DMT in our brains. :rolleyes:

Lets just put everyone in prison! That way, the private prison system can make as much money as they want.

6. This.

7. those zero tolerance duid laws are such bullshit man... aimed at the herb

if they would pay attention to their studies, this would say alcohol.. cause you can drive just fine stoned.. unless your a fucking newbie and all tweaked out uncomfortable

8. They should outlaw driving for people who sleep less than 7 hours a night. I mean sleep deprivation is more dangerous than drunk driving. WE MUST SACRIFICE RIGHTS FOR THE ILLUSION OF SAFETY!

9. Right here ^^^

10. Why won't they just give up already? It's not like the government is actually going to convince a nation of pot smokers that it's bad. ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S NOT

11. My PO said pot is bad cause its illegal. What a fine set of morals.

12. mine didnt have anything against pot haha.

13. Meanwhile the bodies of DUI victims continue to pile up. We should propose a law where anyone caught driving drunk shall face a mandatory 2 year prison term.

14. so then you should have no caffeine, no prescription drugs, no alcohol, no tobacco, no nothing in your system. you must be dead sober in order to drive

in that case, what the fuck is the point of a car

15. #15 Ninja20p, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    Mine made me furious. She acts like she knows me but gets it all wrong, too bad I'm gonna outsmart her every move from now on, good game.

16. You have to be fucked up to want to drive?:confused:

17. you take posts too literally. im saying you shouldn't have any of that in your system in order to drive based on this rule.