MPP Alert 10/22/09

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Sam in Salem, Oct 22, 2009.

1. From The Marijuana Policy Project:

Following the enormous victory for medical marijuana patients and their caregivers on Monday, a strong MPP champion on Capitol Hill, Congressman Sam Farr (D-Calif.), plans to introduce an important bill in Congress next week.

While the new Department of Justice policy creates a de facto protection for patients and caregivers who are "in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana," the Farr bill - which MPP staff helped write years ago - will codify this protection in law.

It will also address another injustice: Currently, medical marijuana patients in the 13 states where medical marijuana is legal are barred from telling federal jurors that their use of marijuana was for medical purposes, even when state laws explicitly permit medical use. Congressman Farr's Truth in Trials Act would guarantee defendants in federal medical marijuana cases the right to explain that their marijuana was for medical use. And more importantly, defendants could be found not guilty if the jury finds that they followed state medical marijuana laws.

Will you please urge your member of Congress to co-sponsor this legislation? MPP's online action system makes it easy: Just enter your contact information and we'll do the rest.

https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site/...rAction&id=371

This is such an exciting time for our issue. Thank you for standing with us in the fight.

Sincerely,

Rob Kampia
    Executive Director
    Marijuana Policy Project
    Washington, D.C.

P.S. As I've mentioned in previous alerts, a major philanthropist has committed to match the first $2.35 million that MPP can raise from the rest of the planet in 2009. This means that your donation today will be doubled.

2. This is great news!

Since its about protecting medical patients it should get a good amount of support.

3. MMP your link isn't working.

4. Thank you, I'll try again. This was a form letter sent to me directly, so it was just cut & paste job. Hope this one works.

If it doesn't work, I'd suggest going to mpp.org and just sort of searching around a bit.

https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=371

As of my checking in "preview," this link works. But there are always kinks, so my apologies if it goes wonky again.

5. Link is working great now. I singed the letter.
    Thanks