Moving to The United States

Discussion in 'General' started by Mein Aufschnitt, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Soryy dude, there's a shit ton of people in Germany.

2. Nice, Canada is a great place I think.

Sorry dude, but I don't think you can work a job, unless, like said before it's a part time job on the campus of the college/university you attend.

Taken from wikipedia:

Except for on-campus employment of 20 hours a week or less, F-1 students are generally not permitted to work in the U.S. without prior authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, the USCIS may grant work authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students are permitted to work for a total of 14 months towards practical training (eg. internship), which can be distributed between Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). An interim order was passed on April 8, 2008 allowing students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to legally work under OPT for 29 months.[3] During the period of OPT, a F-1 student is not permitted to accrue more than 90 days of unemployment.[4]

F visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a heads up, seems like you could be going home fast if you're not careful.

3. wow thanks for the info. I definatly need to check that out. As far as I know I'm legal, but it's worth hitting up my counselor about that. He pretty much helped me with everything.

4. Haha yeah, I don't give a shit, I just remember reading that somewhere and thought ya better know. I might be wrong. :bongin:

5. no, seriously I appreciate it. I really don't want to get deported.:smoke:

6. I'd love to diversify, but the rents there...:eek:

7. The US is pretty nice except all the political bullshit. I've found that things get more fucked up the closer you get to a city. But I'm a forest dweller so that's to be expected. [Lots of hot chicks in the cities though... yummy!]

8. Canada also has the backing of one of the most powerful monarchies in history. It's going to take a lot to bring her down with the US.

9. Hey Mein Aufschnitt, congratulations on getting settled and employed in Bend. That's a very beautiful area, I think it gets some snow in the winter but compared to northern Germany it will be pleasant all year round. It's been hit hard by the economic crisis but you've already avoided that pitfall if you have a job and prices are low and there's tons of stuff to do (as I'm sure you've already seen.)

For all those who are saying that it's dumb to move to the US right now, sure this country isn't doing so hot and it's getting worse but remember this is a GLOBAL economic crisis we're going through. Much of Europe including dreary England and all of the warm Mediterranean countries are doing even worse at this point, and no country has completely avoided economic hurt.

The US and Canada are still some of the most attractive places to go if you know some English and Canada's COLD. Plus the culture around here is pretty laid back and accepting if you stick to the West Coast. One of the only places in the world that doesn't have hundreds of years of cultural baggage holding it back.

10. OP, you are lucky you can go to USA so easily.

For me, the requirements are simply unrealistic.

And even if I met all the requirements, I don't think it's worth the effort.

It's not like I have some important thing to do in USA anyway...

See the Grand Canyon... Gamble at Las Vegas... eat genuine American hamburger... may be have sex with genuine American chick...

11. #71 Verdurous, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Does your country have a no-visa visit treaty with the US? Usually you can get away with like 90 days without having to meet any requirements.

12. Nope. VISA is a must.

And I need to have certain amount of money in my bank account. I forgot how much, but all I remember is that it's a lot.

A lot a lot.

Like, not in my life time a lot.

I'm Korean by the way. But I'm living in Thailand. So... it's even more complicated...

And the line at the American embassy is like... a mile long... you have to wait in line for HOURS and HOURS before it's your turn.

And even the slightest mistake on your documents will send you all the way back at the line...

For example, the photos you use on the application form. There's a rule that says,

"The photo must show both ears clearly."

Some people with long hair will surely fail if they didn't know this rule before...

13. #73 Verdurous, Aug 4, 2011
    Actually South Korea is on the Visa Waiver Program list, so as long as you have your Korean passport you should be fine for up to a 90 day stay without a visa.

14. You are kidding me... are you?

For real man?

I do hold SK passport. Few years ago, it was pretty handy to have Korean passport coz I didn't need any VISA to go to Amsterdam.

But I didn't know I could go to USA with SK passport...

For real man?

This is such a good news!

I always dreamed of going to America! And try the 'hot tub'!

--

Added : So all I need is a plane ticket, right? Oh... yeah... at least I can dream now...

15. #75 Verdurous, Aug 4, 2011
    Yeah, furreal, man. :yay: lol You lucky bastard you. Enjoy your American chick.

Yeah a plane ticket will work and just don't forget your passport. lol

16. I seriously didn't know that I could go to USA with just a plane ticket, I thought I needed to go through all that VISA bullshit...

Now I can at least dream about going to USA... I've stopped dreaming many years ago when I tried to go to USA for real and hit a brick wall of paper work.

But now... :D

17. #77 Verdurous, Aug 4, 2011
    Well, a VISA might help, but MasterCard is just as good nowadays, too.

18. nah. we already talked about it. I got a visa:smoke: