Moving to the Big Apple

Discussion in 'General' started by Tomber, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Sup all,

So I've wanted to many large cities many time (Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Tampa ... ect) but have decided that NYC is the sexiest of them all. I'm from Nothingbutcornfields Ohio, so obviously I need some commentary on what I need to know before moving in to the city.

I haven't picked a specific location to live in (they're pretty pricey) but there are decent, modest lofts that are about 2-3k in nicer locations. I really want to live in the heart of the city.

What should I know about moving in? I have about 6 months before I make the transfer. I'll probably edit this more as comments start flowing in aswell. Also how much is herb realistically (not a make or break issue).

2. herb shouldn't be an issue.

Make sure you have a job lined up, because yes, rent is expensive, especially places near alot of nightlife. But it'll be the time of your life.

3. Living in the city's fun but it can get pretty expensive. You're probably better off getting a place in Brooklyn Heights (the nice part of BK) and being a 20 minute subway ride from the city.

Oh and don't bring a car cause it's gonna be a pain to deal with. You can just get an unlimited Metrocard for $90/month

4. Nice, that's exactly what I would like. Are there specific places that have more nightlife (and living spaces) than others? I'm totally ignorant but if I had some ideas I could go and check some stuff out before I move up there. And I have a job lined up for sure.

5. You're prolly the only person moving TO New York. Be prepared for the ass raping on taxes, cost of living and possibly an actual ass raping. I would never, in a million years, move there.

6. That seems a bit extreme. I follow everything except the ass raping. Have you had bad experiences there? (serious, not implying you got raped).

7. -do NOT take your car

-do not live in the heart of the city (way more expensive, constant noise)

-dont move there with anything less than $10,000+ in your bank account

-DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR!!!

-suggest not living in manhattan. the cheapest areas would be some parts of queens. maybe SI, but no one like SI. lol

8. I hear people there hate when they call it "the big apple" haha

9. Lol I'm not taking most of the advice here. I will be taking a car, and I really want to live in the heart of the city. I'm flexible with what I can afford for rent. I'll check out those other places though as a backup.

However I will have a decent chunk of change in the bank when I move. I'm a big fan of saving cash so I'll be sure to save extra for any worst case scenarios. Why shouldn't I bring a car?

10. Cause drivin in nyc, especially in the heart of the city, is a pain in the ass.

If you want to be living in the heart of the city you def. gonna need some good change. what do you do?

11. Dude. I live in Manhattan.

Do

Not

Take

Your

Fucking

Car.

There is literally no point having a car and living in the city.

No parking anywhere.

Asshole cab drivers everywhere!

Asshole bikers everywhere!

Seriously.

Dont bring your car.

12. Don't take a car, goddammit. Especially if you live in the middle of the city. Why anyone would want to live in the heart of the noisiest city in the United States. Be prepared to have virtually no money in your wallet after spending it at all of the yuppified places in the city. New York City has pretty much had all of its culture sucked dry from all the "trendy" people that live there now. It's so fucking bland.

In my opinion, there's better places to live that will provide a better quality of life than NYC but go ahead, it's your life.

13. I work with art, selling then re-selling, some investing. Consulting.

I'll think about the car. I occasionally have to go out of town but I'll think about it.

Also I was looking at these places in particular: Manhattan Lofts - lofts for rent

I'm not going to be read for a while to pick a place but is something like this good? There are some damn expensive places (like 30k or more a month) but obviously I'm not rich or I wouldn't have to worry about any of this.

14. lol youll be in for a nasty surprise if you bring your car.

-at least $200/month for parking

-NO street parking ever

-insurance will fuck you up the ASS

-traffic is a nightmare. 6 lanes going one way and still backed up for miles, with cab drivers cutting everyone off and squeezing into the tightest of spaces. bicycles going in between everyone on the road. people crossing the road everywhere. trying to turn left onto a street in manhattan is about impossible. especially in the "heart of the city".

-gas prices are like $4.50, and you get horrible mileage driving in nyc.

-your car will get damaged quite a bit. people will bump into you, sideswipe you, bicycles will hit you, your car WILL sustain damage.

-gridlock on a daily, hourly basis

-people do not stay in there lanes. there may be 3 or 4 painted lanes on the road, but there could be up to 6 lanes of cars

trust me brotha, i lived in manhattan for 20 years. do NOT take your car. take a cab. the subway. bus. anything. dont bring your car you will be sorry. everyone here who lives in nyc is telling you to not bring your car. you should listen to those of us who live there.

look at this. you thik this looks pleasant? =/
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJPttfcxho&feature=related]New York - Times Square at night - YouTube[/ame]

15. the link you posted has only 2 places for rent under 3k a month, and one is in east harlem....which you DONT want to do.

16. ^^thanks for the car advice I'll have to figure something out, I'm not doubting your advice. About the link, I'll find something better tomorrow, I'm going to have to check out what everybody mentioned in the thread so far. Thanks.

17. it would be cheaper to rent a car for your out of town travels. unless youre planning on driving to like virginia every other day or something lol