Moving to Oregon? Need some advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by Zr-01stamg, Oct 12, 2012.

1. I didn't know what section i should put this in so if someone wants to move it somewhere more appropriate i'd appreciate it.

Well my girl finishes her associates at the end of this year and we are thinking of moving and oregon was our first choice mainly because there are schools that are good for what she's going into and i could finally get my MMJ card and try and get into that industry. I'm currently disabled and i'm on disability and i have no idea if that will transfer or if i'd have to spend another 3 years fighting for it again. If it doesn't transfer i can't leave idaho for a few more years. Of course i would start growing which would be great i might even be able to get off some of my medicines because of it which would be a huge step for me. Of course we are going to start saving right now as much as possible for the next few months and my girl gets her last dispersement of financial aid which is a good sum so we'll be going into pretty prepared and have everything ready.

So what i need to know is whats it like? we probably won't live on the coast but more in the mountain forest areas. I've been there alot and i like it there's alot more opportunities for me and my girlfriend. She's actually really excited about it which i did not expect. How hard would it be for her to find a job once we get there? and just give me a list of any kind of job that is mmj related i mean anything you can think of.

It's a good time too because i could start school when we get there and i was forced to change doctors and the ones i have to pick from now are not working for me so i'd have alot more new options to try. Which this is an important factor for me.

We also do alot of outdoors stuff which is one reason i didn't want to leave idaho but oregon is a acceptable in my book i could still hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc.

2. Your ssi will transfer. I recently moved to Oregon from Iowa and I'm on ssi as well. I didn't have any issues getting it transferred. Well to many. They did mess up cause they got how much rent I pay wrong. And I did have to switch payees. (I have some one else deal with my money, cause its way to stressful to me) but other then that I'm having more issues getting a primary care physician, then I had with ssi.

Oh and the bud here is freaking amazing. Nom nom nom.

3. Ah well that makes the decision alot easier for me haha

4. I can vouch for that!

and yea stay away from the coast, Oregon coast is cold most of the year and it ain't really that pretty.. some people obviously do like it though.

Not sure about jobs, as I'm a full-time student so haven't been job hunting here yet...
    but a lot of young people are moving here, Portland specifically.
    It rains A LOT here, but other than that the weather is awesome, I like the rain tho so that's probably why. Because most people hate Portland's weather..
    but all of Oregon is awesome for hiking, fishing etc..

what uni are you considering?

5. I've lived in the northern and southern part of Oregon. The northern is a lot more rainy but the southern part is pretty dry compared to the north.

6. Ya i've stayed there for a few weeks at a time before and i don't mind the weather at all. Not sure what school exactly but my gf is looking to be a dietician so we will probably go somewhere that has a program for that if possible.

I'm kind of excited to get a chance to start somewhere new and enter a new phase in my life. Hopefully ending with me being much healthier i am afriad i have something wrong with my digestive system beyond what i already i know i have. So much fun i am going to try and get that done before we move and possibly have surgery for it.

7. Yeah Oregon's great, only the winter's suck. Especially out here in the High Desert.
    But if you don't mind the cold then there's plenty to do. And the Summer's make it all worth the wait.

What towns have caught your interest so far?

8. ya i actually love the cold haha i wear shorts most of the year. I went one year in flip flops the whole time even through snow. feels good man.

I haven't started searching today i'm gonna get baked and start in tommorow looking for schools and then start searching around there.

9. Well if you're looking for a small town close to a lot of lakes and trails check out Bend.
    Its a town full of outdoor enthusiasts and retired white people. Very chill place. Though the cost of living is getting a little ridiculous, the job market is really picking up again. Anyway just my suggestion.

10. I'll check it out it is in the area i'd like. any suggestions are good :)