Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moving to Colorado soon, a couple questions

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by livingfree, May 8, 2008.

1. My wifes cousin, who lives in Colorado got his MM card for his migraine problem. And we are going to be moving out there soon so I figured I might be eligible for one.

I have two questions.

I have had a knee problem since I was twelve, sometimes it can cause me some pain and annoyance. Do you think that it's enough for me to get my card?

And I was curious if an MM card was good from state-to-state, like if I had mine from Colarado, could I use it in California when we go out there?

2. I am a registered Colorado MMJ patient. If you have a little knee problem don't bother. If your knee is very painful and you have visited a doctor in the past few months for the problem your chances are better. Many times you need to see the "right" doctor to get a MMJ registration. I can put you in touch with such doctors if you are serious about finding a prescribing physician.

Registration from Colorado will not be legally used to get medicine in another state. With the exception of Montana but there to be legal you would still need to go through the registation process to meet thier state laws. There is some grey area in the wording of Montana's MMJ Laws " they recognise" other states patients but most cops would still but your butt.

3. Dont most cops here in CO still bust your butt regardless of legality?

4. I figured it wouldn't be valid in another state, so no surprise there.

As far as my knee problem. It was an injury I sustained from playing hockey in gym class when I was in junior high. I went to three different doctors and none of them had a solution other than "it's probably never going to go away and there is nothing you can really do about it". I haven't gone back since then and that was around 11 years ago. It doesn't hurt every single day, but it does still bother me often.

5. Maybe I am wrong and/or ill informed, but wouldn't the local and state authorities have to abide by state law regarding medical marijuana usage?

6. As far as your knee problem. If you have visited a doctor over the years for your knee problem and better yet are currently prescribed prescription drugs to deal with the pain then it would be very likily that you would be prescribed MMJ.

If you have not seen a doctor lately for your knee problem and are not prescribed drugs to deal with the pain, start your background work now. Go see a doctor in the state that you live in about the pain, get it documented in your patient records. Get a prescription for the pain. When you get to Colorado your background work will be paid off by having it on record that you have a current problem and you are taking drugs that likely have bad side effects for you. A Colorado physician then has more basis to prescribe you MMJ at that time. Go back to your original doctors that viewed the knee after your hockey injury, get your old records bring it and all the information that you can to help the Colorado Doctor to see how you would benefit from legal MMJ.

7. Take a cops point of view.

You're in Montana and you get pulled over with an ounce of your legal (in another stare) MMJ. You whip out your states documentation that proves you are a patient.

So what. How does that Montana Law Enforcement know if it is valid? He has no idea what your states registration is all about. He won't know if you created the documents on your CPU with photo shop or if they are genuine and valid. So yes he will arrest you and confiscate your medicine. His attitude would be on target to let the courts and the District or County Attorney sort it all out. If you are legitimate they will determine this if not he has a good arrest and he continues with his career with a pat on the back.

In Colorado, no most cops have never seen state health documents. They don't know if they are valid or not either. In Colorado though they need educated, just like a citizen has a responsibilty to know the law so does a police officer.

Do you have your documents with you? You should if you are carring MMJ and paraphenalia. Is a cop just supposed to take your word for it?

If you have your "Green Card" and have legal amounts the cop should not take your medicine. If he does then there are legal repercussions for such and event. These repecussions though come after you have been arrested or they seize your medication. What do you do until then, also in Denver City proper you don't need to have a green card to carry less than 2 ounces as I recall.

There are several presicent setting cases in Colorado that the courts have determined how a cop should treat MMJ Patients.

Educate yourself, know the laws.