Moving out?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mithrandir, Jun 6, 2012.

1. #1 Mithrandir, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
    So here's the deal. I'm 19 years old, turning 20 in November, and I'm currently living at home with my parents due to school funds, etc weighing me down financially. My family has been going through a rough patch this past year or so and my parents and I are always fighting or arguing over something. This has led to us both thinking that I should move out and find a place of my own. The only problem is that I won't be able to attend school and keep my full time job. I work 40 hours a week and get paid $10.80 so I figure I should be able to afford a small place, especially with the help of a friend who's also thinking about moving out (also works full time). The issue I'm worried about is my schooling. I finished my first year in April, got good grades, etc but I'm not really sure what I want to do. I don't want to get too comfortable with the full time working life and forget about my schooling, so I'm thinking of possibly moving out for a year, taking a year off school, figuring out what I want to do, and do some serious thinking about my family life before moving back home. Does it make sense to live somewhere for a year and then move back home? Or is a year too short a time for moving in and out of a place? I've never done something like this before and I could use all the help and advice I can get!

2. I did that at 18, moved from Texas to Florida. Took a year to find out what I wanted, then did it. I have a very supportive mother though. It worked for me. What was hard was getting motivation to go back to school.

3. When I got out of high school I moved out for 3 years. I took a year off of school and worked, then came back and finished my first 2 years at university. I was living in Atlanta with 3 other good friends, and it was truly a solid experience. You learn a lot about yourself, and others.

That being said, I moved back in with my parents for a year and our relationships were entirely different (in a great way). We both had newfound respect for each other, and living with them strengthened our relationships. I've moved back out now, but I gotta tell you I actually enjoyed living with them. They taught me a lot, and I moved out with sadness knowing it may be the last time we live together.

Cherish your family, man. If you need a year to figure yourself out, then do it. But enjoy every moment you have with your parents, it'll all change one day and you'll look back wishing you had more time.

4. work full time move take evening classes, a lot of people do...go part time

5. it does not sound like your ready. you don't just move out then move back in when ever you want. that's not how it works..i dont know about your parents but my parents would be like uhhh what the fuck explain yourself mortal.

to me, you sound too young and have a stressful life. 40 hours + school aint a joke. on top of that living on your own is so much harder than you think. you got to realize laundry, dishes, wiping your ass, gas money, electric, even fucking water cost money.

you dont want to burn yourself out ( your money) and then have to end up back at home. i would say stay at home, save up a nice nice amount of money. and when your ready and dont got so much shit goin on, go for it.

if you underestimated the challenge of living on your ,you will want to kill your roommates.not really, but now your have to return to my parents with no money. now thats embarassing.

unless your job is awesome, idk its up to you. a man makes a decision for himself , so dont just go sololy off of other peoples advice.

6. My mom made it very clear.. When you leave. Your gone.

If you get fired and end up on the street I can go back for 3 months EXACTLY before she'll kick me out.

Been going on a year now.. Ive learned seriously.. So much from being on my own so early..

But ive officially outgrown my friends who haven't done shit and continue to not do shit

19 and I've only lived on my own..

Spent 5 months in a motorhome.. Going on 6 months in my first apartment ad already can't wait until my lease is up..

7. Thanks for all the comments guys. I've got some serious thinking to do. My parents know the situation and would be more then willing to help me move, etc. I've just got to make sure that's what I want to do. Any other thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!

8. Try and save up money, buy things you don't have that you'll need when you move out, there are lots of things you don't think about needing until you're out on your own without them. I had a "hope chest" a big wood chest my grandfather made and gave to my mother, then my mother gave me. I filled it with things that I would need to move out, I started when I was 16. I had silver wear, a toaster, a set of dishes and cups, pots and pans, cooking utensils, hand, dish, and body towels, things like that. I had the master bedroom at my mother's house, so I basically had everything I needed for an apartment aside from cleaning and cooking things. When I moved I realized I needed a broom, dish soap, cleaning supplies, mop, toilet paper, paper towels. There are a lot of things you don't realize you need until you move out and don't have them anymore.

9. Update: so me and my future roommate have discussed it with our families and were ready to start taking the steps to moving out.

Together we make about $3000 a month.

Monthly rent is $1200 (water, heating, included) and we've decided to avoid cable and the use of a landline. The apartment is a 2 bedroom 1 bath and also includes a fridge, stove, dishwasher and a laundry mat on the main floor which they supply monthly tokens for.

Estimates:
    Food: $300 per month
    Electrical: $60 per month
    Internet: $60 per month
    Toiletries: $40?

That will leave us with a little over $1,000 leftover at the end of the month. Is that a reasonable estimate? I know I'm probably missing a ton of of additional expenses from that list...

What else should I be prepared to purchase upon moving out? We have a decent amount of furniture were able to bring along, so that won't be an issue. Also, are my estimates for Internet, electrical and food reasonable for 2 people? This is my first time moving out and need all the help I can get!

10. Seems rather doable man. :smoke:

11. Car payment insurance?

12. [quote name='"Ftsk515"']Car payment insurance?[/quote]

I was going to purchase a vehicle with my tax returns, but the apartment is within walking distance to both of our works. I'm thinking of using the money for rent instead. The apartment is also within walking distance from banks, grocery stores, a mall, etc

13. Try it out. If it doesn't work, then move back in with your parents. Be responsible, and limit your money. It could be a good experience for you, so you actually know what it's like living on your own.

14. I've spent 5 years in college, still there. There reason? because I moved out and never looked back. I moved from MD to SC after spending 40 hours a week doing the same bullshit week after week, and taking night classes part time. I finally earned enough credits to transfer. After being down here for a few years, I only look back and wonder why it took me so long to do this.

Moving out was the best decision i've ever made. It also seperates you from the rest. You'll notice how spoiled everyone really is. I sit in class and look around, I can tell that 99% are still dependent on their parents. I get sooo much satisfaction knowing I earned my way, rather than it being handed to me on a silver platter.

EDIT: It might take you longer, and you'll have to try harder, but the combo will make you much better off when it comes to real life.

15. Time for big boy decisions.

16. [quote name='"Jennuine"']Try it out. If it doesn't work, then move back in with your parents. Be responsible, and limit your money. It could be a good experience for you, so you actually know what it's like living on your own.[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking. I'm able to sign either a 4, 6, or 12 month lease. I think we'll end up doing 2 six months. And to the guy saying time for the big boy decisions", it really is haha. I want to try and limit the surprises I'll be faced with upon moving out. :smoke: thanks to all who have helped out so far and I hope to get some more eye opening responses from others as well :wave:

17. all grown up and getting the hell out!

18. Anyone else have any advice to throw my way? Any and all is appreciated :smoke:

19. Are you splitting bills 50 50? Are you going to split food costs? It is wise to split everything but keep food separate, you may end up paying a lot more for food than you would by yourself. Think about how you two are going to handle buying communal things, such as cleaning supplies, trash bags, dish soap, and things that you will both be using, but don't need two of. Put together a chore list, since your guys it probably won't be very extensive, but vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom every now and then. Also make sure you set a rule about dishes, I can't tell you how many times I got upset about washing my roommates dishes because they were too lazy to do it, and it filled up the sink so there was no room for anything else.

My roommate situation ended up badly, these are the things I wish we would have worked on. Also, pets? If you have pets (we each had a cat so 3 cats total) then you're going to have to figure out what to do with pet food and walks or cat litter.

What we did for the communal things and pet needs was I went shopping for it all at once when we needed it, gave them the receipt and they payed their half. It worked out, more work for me to pick up the stuff every time, but it was even and fair. The chores usually ended up on me because I was the clean one, and I ended up paying for cable TV when I never even watched TV nor had a TV in my room. So it didn't end up too well for us.

Remember, you two are getting a ONE bathroom. You need to come to a mutual agreement on bathroom etiquette. What kind of condition is acceptable for both of you, it does't have to be spotless, but don't leave your gross body hairs all over the place and piss all over the bathroom. While that may be an okay environment for you, the other person may HATE it like that. And little irritants like that add up over time. Dishes, bathroom, doesn't do chores, things like that. You don't think of them as being a big deal, until you're in the situation, and then it seems like EVERYTHING they do gets on your nerves.

You don't want to end up like that. You want to remain friends after the roommate situation lol

20. A vehicle is a must. Itll make your life alot easier.