Moving from KCMO to OREGON

Discussion in 'General' started by pikkerc, Apr 3, 2015.

1. I'm dead set in it. Weather. Medicinal and recreational usage. Cheap, income based houses with people that understand me.

I also have a wife and kid who i should tend to legally instead of otherwise. If you catch my diff.

Anyways. Any portlanders with some pros or cons about the area? I definitely want to live near water.

2. #2 Sneaky Snake, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
    Not sure where you're getting your info from. Portland housing is expensive and overpriced. Unless you're on some sort of public assistance there's no such thing as income based housing, and that housing is few and far between. That's a federal HUD program, so it's the same as in all 50 states. There aren't a lot of jobs here and those that are available have a lot of competition. There's a decent chance that your waitress or barrista has a masters degree of some sort. Not kidding there. It rains more often than it doesn't, and we have winds all year long. There's no real 'water' to live by here. There's the Willamette river that goes through downtown. It's an EPA superfund site because it's so polluted. There are hobo boats all through out it off of the shipping lanes. There's also the Columbia River that separates WA and OR, and on the OR side there's only some house boats on it, everything else is mainly industrial use of some sort.

Not trying to dissuade you, just saying that all the things you're going off on aren't maybe the way you think they are. What do you hope on doing here? Feel free to as me whatever you'd like.

Gotcha. Well, you'll definitely be nearer to the ocean than in KC, MO! I agree, I'd rather live here than in Michigan too. Take everything you read in that article with a grain of salt though. The thing with Portland is that we don't really have a big industry, so there's not an economy built around anything. Yeah, outside of Portland there are some Intel farms, and there's some ship repair. We used to be a large port but that stopped about a month ago. A lot of people are counting on recreational marijuana to create some great job industry here, but that's unlikely and even if it does that will happen sometime in the latter half of 2016 probably. I guess what I'm saying is that unless you already come here with a good paying job, or have a highly prized skill, you'll likely be working a crappy job and living in a crappy place. But so is everyone else.

Here's a website that compares general pricing/costs between the two cities Portland and KC.
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=United+States&city1=Portland%2C+OR&city2=Kansas+City%2C+MO

4. Thanks for the info Renaldo ! Luckily I have a certain level skills that are multi platform able. I would of course get a job before

Good luck with it and if you have any questions about the area or whatever let me know.

6. For sure. Id.love some different perspectives to. Of.course i love to grow, but poppa has a wife and did & isn't loaded so practically ANYWHERE lol.

7. #8 *guest, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

Suburbs should be easy though... greater metro area rather than Portland proper, out east especially (fuck Beaverton and Hillsburrito). I grew up in the east PDX metro area and it was nice, 20 minutes away from the beauty of the Columbia River Gorge, quick drive or public transit to Downtown Portland, an hour away from the mountain, less than two hours from the beach. 

Income based apartments too...

East Portland proper can be not so great, and avoid Rockwood or anywhere near 82nd [​IMG]

8. Hard similar advice already haha. I knew someone from the state would be able to explain the beauty!

Here, there's cows, roads and racist people and being a native American/ African American it's getting quite old.

My girlfriend is pasty white and anywhere we go, if an extremely offended comment doesn't get said to us (unlikely) then the mix up of blacks hating whites here and whites bring afraid of blacks. One could see how quickly this could run ones quality of life.

Not to mention WEED IS ILLEGAL. no ifs ands or buts and big cities like blue springs and independence have NO problem spending $10,000 to search your house and find a scale (probably.placed) a plastic bag and a roach and charge you for not only resisting this limit of freedom. But more likely than not, your looking at 10'to life here.

And with plants. Closet cfl's are the only option.i could make a post every time i see a helicopter doing circles, tossing drones. Clearly trying to monitor heat. Gotta go! Lol

9. The government has no problem filling my xanax and kolonopin scripts for $30 a pop but my daily spliff could send me away from my child for years. No thanks.