Moving from CFL to HPS/MH (which one to buy)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Salkio, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Im new to indoor growing and especially new with hydroponics. I have a DWC with 2 plants which are going pretty well however for my next grow i would like to move to something more professional but couldn't decide between which bulb to buy.

Option 1:
    Regular 1000w HPS bulb
    140,000 lumen
    2100 K
    E40 socket

Option 2:
    Duel ARC 1000w MH plus HPS bulb all in one (the HPS is 600w and the MH is 400w)
    105,000 lumen
    3000 K
    E40 socket

Now im guessing that option 2 would be best as it will be good at vegetative stage and flowering, but how good? Will i get better dense/bigger buds if i just use a HPS for flowering and i buy a separate MH bulb for vegetative both 1000w?

Option 1: Bulb HPS 1000w - Hydro Herb Africa
    Option 2: Dual Arc 1000 watt Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium Bulb - Hydro Herb Africa
    Let me know if there are better options, i did some research on LEDs but im not a fan, some people say they good some say they not. And yes you save electricity but a 300w LED is going to cost me allot more than 1 1000w HPS.

2. HID works best for vegging and HPS for flowering. You can buy a switchable ballast which will handle both types of lighting. And if you decide to go with these forms of light, know that a system for pulling the heat out of your grow area and away from your plants will be a must unless you want to kill them with temps. These lights work great, but put of tons of heat so you'll need ducting, an in line fan, etc., to take care of the heat. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. thanks for the advice! will look into it.

4. Can't go wrong with a switchable ballest. MH is a lot better for veg if you want tight node spacing and HPS is the way to go for Flower. If funds are tight and you can't pay the extra for a switchable ballest then go HPS alone. If you can spare the extra cash for both bulbs and the upcharge for the ballest then go that route.

With that said I have never used the double that you speak of but I would think it would be the best full spectrum.

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1387325/

5. awesome stuff! I think it will actually work better if i get 2 bulbs, as i will only pay around $50 then only after a few weeks will need to spend another $50, instead of me paying $100 at once.

6. What size grow area are you working with? 1,000w HID's put out a lot of heat. Have you put any thought into LED's? Even with inexpensive MarsHydro 300w units guys are yielding better than HID's with a heck of a lot less heat to deal with.

7. i looked at LEDs but some people say good some say they bad. Wanted some videos as well and sometimes LED yield less. And they very expensive.

8. How big is your grow area?

9. Not very big, im using my bathroom ledge, only place with no sun light. its about 1 m long and 60 cm wide. im growing 2 plants with 25ltr buckets

10. i
    keep them kinda small or as big as the spot allows, but the buds are looking sick!