Movies like Donnie Darko?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by highandmighty, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I really like this movie, it's so original and eerie. I'm sure plot-wise there is nothing like it but do any of you guys know of some movies that have a similar mood/atmosphere?

2. s darko is coming out preetty soon. its about his sister.

3. I'm not sure, but you might check out Momento or The Machinist.

4. s darko is out... anyone seen it yet??? i loved this movie, it really put my life into confusingly simple perspective, and i have a buddy (doesn't burn) and he and me got way into it philosophically, like, what was the point of going back in time to die??? and all of that good stuff, why didn't you just wait on the landing for a bit longer, that would have changed the outcome...

and who the fuck is frank? the bunny i nkow, but like, who?

5. #5 WildWill, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
    It's not quite the same themes, but have you seen Donald Cammel and Nicholas Roeg's Performance starring Mick Jagger and James Fox? If not, you really should check it out, it's even MORE of a MInd-Fuck than Donnie Darko. Actually DD makes a lot of sense if you read what the director had to say about it.

Chris Nolan's Memento is pretty damn good too. Of course there are a ton of other "mind-fuck" movies out there, some much, much better. Many much worse.

Actually, I think the entire point of the film is that you cannot change your destiny, no matter how hard you try.

Oh and "S. Darko" is a SINO - Sequel in Name Only - NONE of the original people wanted anything to do with it.

6. i suppose you have a point about destiny there, except i believe you make your own destiny, and what about s darko... wtf is sino? sequel in name only??? explain please good sir.:confused:

7. see the prob w/ school and me is that we don't get along technologically, such as the whole iprism firewall blocker dealio. it sucks

8. i get the same feel from a movie called the virgin suicides. i realise theres almost nothing in common, but meh.

9. Trainspotting is good.
    Requiem For A Dream
    Shrooms
    2001: A Space Odyssey is an excellent film
    A Clockwork Orange
    Pretty much anything Stanley Kubrick has made...

10. S. Darko will blow hard. Fuck whoever decided to make it, greedy bastard.

11. i love the SHIT out of some Darko so maybe you'll like some of these, too! :hello:

Thumbsucker
    Thirteen
    Homeroom
    Rocket Science
    Brick (warning this is some heavy shit)
    Cube
    The Wackness
    The Cell (yeah yeah JLo is in it but its a trip man. awesome visuals)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Lars and the Real Girl
    Pan's Labrynth
    The Dreamers
    Raising Arizona
    Girl Interrupted
    A Clockwork Orange (shit scarred me)
    Pi (haven't seen it but my bf suggested it)
    Morvern Callar

they all give me that really dark, introspective feel that i love about dd :)

12. Memento, The Prestige, Following, Pan's Labyrinth, 2001

13. Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie. I enjoyed it.

Also you've seen it already I'm sure, but The Matrix is kinda like Dannie Darko.

I recommend seeing the whole Matrix trilogy if you haven't.

14. Memento, Fight Club

15. exactly
    what i was gonna say!

Magnolia is a friggin awsome movie also.

16. I like donnie darko and people posted most of the movies I would have suggested...
    but there is

Wristcutters: A love story.
    Spun.
    A scanner darkly.
    Fight club.
    annnnd
    horton hears a who (totally unrelated)

17. I just finished watching this, it was such a good movie. The whole atmosphere of it actually did remind me a lot of Donni Darko too.

18. I love this kind of movie too.

Check out

A Clockwork Orange
    Memento
    Fight Club
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Blue Velvet

To whoever asked who frank the bunny is, hes Donnie's sister's bf. She mentions him a couple times, and theres a note on the fridge during the costume party that says frank went to get beer. He, along with Gretchen, is one of the manipulated dead. The manipulated dead are those who died in the tangent universe. Frank received certain powers including the ability to contact the living receiver (donnie) through water. He received these powers to help lead donnie to the point where he can close the tangent universe, but even he does not understand all of the reasoning behind it. Hope that helps. Senior year of high school we watched and analyzed DD in my english class on the apocalypse, so all of the crazy shit in the movie was fully explained to me haha

19. aholy fuck!:eek: