Move to a safer place?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by bammie cammie, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Anyone on these forums ever moved to Amsterdam or somewhere the laws are much more lenient for the comfort of smoking without worry rather than trying to legalize the plant in their own country?

Because frankly, I see the UK government is way to old fashioned to legalize and considering Holland is just a small trip away, might be worth learning dutch through my University years.

Or does that sound completely retarded? Purely out of interest as Americans who smoke a lot might move north to canada? That's just a thought, not stating that. But I have a feeling people don't just move around so it's easier to smoke.

2. i think it depends how important weed is to you. i think if you rele need it for say cancer or severe depression then those people are probly more apt to move. but for someone who just likes to smoke they prolly wont leave their extended families behind just to get ganja.

to each his own tho. if you moved just cuz you rele liiked to smoke, good for you. when i graduate college im definitely moving to a state with at least medical marijuana (bc i rele like to smoke and need it medicinally)

3. Thanks, good comment man. Well, it wasn't originally so much about the weed at first, I just generally wanted to move somewhere and start something new. I had decided on this before I started smoking. At first I only wanted to get away for the sake of doing something new, but Holland would be strange, lived there for 2 years when i was younger. Nice place, no hills which makes cycling awesome.

I don't really have any medical problems, only thing I use it for (apart from recreation) is doing design work along side lots of coffee (keeps me active whilst enjoying the thoughts and drawing to music). Considering I enjoy what I study, I guess it's recreation too.

Over all, things have generally improved since I just relaxed and went with smoking instead of drinking. The changes have been pretty phenomenal.
    Holland just seemed like a good idea as it's still not a huge journey to Scotland (meaning i could see family and friends).

But yeah, just thoughts and ideas right now, meaning to have an Amsterdam trip with friends soon so lets see if it's how I remembered it :)

4. i've been considering the same thing... i could totally live in switzerland (granted i'd have to marry a swiss girl to do so) or copenhagen or etc.....

I'm waiting to see what happens in california with the legalization efforts next year before i decide what i want to do.

My reasoning is that horticulture is a passion of mine and i'm not interested in pursuing it as a career in this country because of the legal issues.... I'm working with a person who sees it as a profitable business and is in the process of establishing a price to buy a dispensary here in colorado. He doesn't know anything about production or the actual business but can definitly run a business in general. I'm really excited about the prospect of being the horticulture manager for him if it works out, but it still is quite the risk in the US even if DEA is generally leaving mmj alone (the national police among other agencies still pursue medical caregiver / dispensaries).

But smoking in colorado or simple posession is like getting a traffic ticket, if one is really just looking for a place thats stoner friendly.. colorado is high on that list, especially fort collins
    where getting caught smoking at work usually leads to a "don't do it again" or someone offering to match rather than getting in trouble.

5. That sounds awesome in colorado and I have seen the CNN reports and debates with "safer" but since I live in scotland, being part of the EU (I think, even though we don't have the euro) Holland would be easier. If I wanted to live in colorado, I'd need a visa to live there. I'm pretty sure I can pretty freely travel around europe, but I'd have to do my homework on that one, I really don't know.

6. Several states over here have loose laws like several people have mentioned. Massachusetts, where I live, has laws similar to what the person from Colorado said. It's a $100 ticket and there is no court involved or anything. And they won't go out of their way to bust you either so you don't have hide it that much. I wouldn't move here, or anywhere else for that matter, just because of weed though.

7. I invite any Americans who are fearful of their police state government arresting them to move to Canada, particularly British Columbia, the mecca of pot, snowboarding, martial arts, and everything else I consider "holy"

8. I seriously consider this a possibility in the future.
    Although I am gonna test out the medical marijuana programs here first [Oregon and Washington].

I would never move somewhere for weed alone.
    More so because of the politics that come along with a weed hating government.

9. living in nyc is horrible cops act like its crack and will treat u like felon but then only give u a 25 dollar upm (unlawful possesion of mar.) but anything of like a couple grams there gunna fist fuck u to hell

10. Aw man tokage, that sounds like the best place ever! But living in the UK, that's pretty hard for me. Instead of being able to explore america and canada, I have europe, where i would need to learn languages.

I wasn't really intending on moving just for weed. I used to live there when I was younger, so it's kinda like returning home, I've also just grown to dislike my hometown a lot and want to get away, i'LL maybe have a bit of a road trip before I decide on anything at all.

I might have drifted off from the activism thing, but this has a lot of good input from you guys, my first thread is a nice one, thanks guys :)

I'm in aberdeen city scotland, never been caught and don't know anyone who has been, generally as long as you don't make it horribly obvious to anyone that you're smoking up, no one bothers you.

I imagine small amounts in possession would be confiscated and you'd be given a warning, and if you have more (enough so you appear to be dealing) well, you're in quite a bit more trouble. But so many people do it and so few get caught.

11. Right now I'm working towards my GED and I'm going too try too get accepted back into Job Corps so that I can learn a trade (most likely culinary arts) and move someplace else once I'm done with that. I wanna move too someplace where I can get Medical MJ. Like Colorado or California. I have a hard time sleeping most nights and I'm wondering if I can get Medical MJ prescribed too me for sleep deprivation?

But yeah, I really need too get the hell out of Lawton Oklahoma. Its hard too find a hook up and once you do you know that its not as good as the stuff they have in all of those other States. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? I hate asking total strangers if they know where the weeds at though.

12. Hey Bammie, Im from Aberdeen to and have been considering moving to Holland in the future.

Mainly I want to try and open a shop and seeing as Amsterdam is a tourist hotspot then why not.

Also with the up-comming elections if the torrys get into power then we could see ourselves on the slide.

13. #13 bammie cammie, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
    That sounds like a really awesome idea, but for the mean time, going to finish my college and uni etc. Finish what I started then I dunno, Holland might be an option. It totally depends on work and such, but running a coffee shop would be great! Good luck with that man, hope it goes well :)

oh yeah and small world, Random finding a fellow aberdonian on GC forums!