Mouting 250w CFL bulb???

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by B_herb420, Dec 12, 2010.

1. How am I supposed to hang up a huge CFL bulb?

(this)
    [​IMG]
    If I hang it sideways, I feel like it's gonna break from the weigh. It's like 2-4 pounds. It actually already did break a cheap e40>household socket adapter. And, if i just hang it straight down, the bulb is 12 inches long. So, I'm gonna be wasting a foot of space in the grow tent.

So, Any ideas on how to hang this thing sideways without having to worry about all the pressure breaking the adapter/bulb?

2. Attach a rod inside the space on the core. Have it extend past the bulbs and hang from a chain or mount?

3. Yeah, i was thinking of using some kind of rod or wire to support the other end, but, its 12 inches of narrow glass tube. I'd be even more paranoid about the bulb resting its weigh against the thin glass.

Maybe multiple wires going across the bottom of the bulb for support, to keep the weight spread out... That's all i can think of.

4. Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm pretty sure there is a type of wire you can support it with. I've seen it in a DIY HPS growlight. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

5. cool, man thanks. I'll get a picture up when I get my tent.

6. I usually use plastic zip ties for cfl's, they work wonders :)

7. Something about plastic sitting on a hot bulb just doesn't fit right with me...

8. this.

But anyways, I pretty much solved this problem. My area is tall enough now to have the bulb point straight down, and with a small reflector. :D

9. Actually the zip-ties are pretty thick so they're heat resistant to an extent and if this is a grow the factor of proper ventilation and bulb heat reduction should eliminate the notion of heated plastic being problematic. :smoke:

10. Well, I'm gonna have proper ventilation. But, I'm not gonna have a cool-tube... So, the bulb will still get hot.

I'd use wire before I used zip ties.

11. That's like saying you can leave an iron on face down on your clothes, but its all good because your house has AC.

Seriously, plastic and heat don't mix unless you have the intentions of melting it.

12. i used a metal hanger... i cut two five inch pieces and make a mount for each side

the ceramic side is just a V with small tabs that i jammed into the holes at the ceramic openings... and attached that to my light hanger

the tube side i bent a large DIY clothes pin style piece that resembles a C with attachments that close the loop and hold the bulb... since the piece is curved it proved difficult to make a nice bend that wouldn't hurt the bulb... i just used a rubber coated handle to make a nice soft bend.... worked perfect... and that just attaches to the other light hanger...

i am a little worried about the rubbing effect that it might have on my bulb... but seriously... i don't care... it has been running like this for a while with no ill effects... I handle the bulb with care and make sure there is no swaying... problem solved

ill include pics if you need them... just pm me

13. this.

14. epic:D

15. your analogy is retarded, we are not talking about something that gets soooo hot it gives you a 3rd degree burn.
    The light has a built in ballast and fan which already lowers the heat, then you also have ventilation. So if your box is at around 75-80 degrees, your lights at what 110' ? that is not hot enough to "melt" a good thick plastic zip-tie.

It's actually like saying "I decided it was ok to go to the beach in 115' weather because I was wearing sun screen "

At least use logic >.<

16. the UV rays from the bulb will destroy the plastic if the heat does not... bringing your light down... its a question of when...

don't get butt hurt.. it was funny... smile bro.. this is suppose to be fun:smoke:

17. lol and the plastic ballast case on the back? yes they are not the best choice but they ARE a choice. :smoke: