Mouse in raised bed..

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by roburn42, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Back in December I got my 150gallon no-till raised bed up and running under a 630CMH from sunlight supply. I grow in a garage in a built in closet of sorts. First grow in my new place and it is winter here in Colorado, so it's taken some time to get the temperatures and soil moisture dialed in. Soil has still been dry at the top for the last few waterings. I follow the MOFO watering regimine pretty close tweaked to my schedule and experimenting. MOFO soil recipe with mostly BUs compost and some ECOscraps compost.

After about 1 or 2 months I started noticing strange "bulges" or mounds at the top of my soil. I was growing radishes as a cover crop and thought maybe one was still growing, but couldn't find it. It happened half a dozen times and I just shook it off as the soil "living" and breathing? Or just expanding/contracting.

Then about a month ago I killed a mouse after it had chewed through a bag of bokashi bran. Bastard. Still didn't put the two together. THEN YESTERDAY, I was getting close with my bed and watering in the MBP with Aloe/Fulvic/Silica with around 3 gallons. I shit you not this little rodent popped out of the soil looked me in the eye and scurried away! It finally came together I might be dealing with a family of mice who are thoroughly enjoying the warm soil.

A google search and search of the forums did not produce much substantial information other than mouse traps and a house cat. Is this common? Anybody have experience with this pest? Is he damaging my soil or plants/roots? Should I be worried or should I just lay out traps and not freak out too bad? Is he good for my soil?!

2. They are more than likely chewing up the roots. You ever see what they can do to metal cages and wires?

Peacefully remove the little fellow and any of his mates

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Better do something fast ..They screw faster than rabbits...maybe poison bait will kill the fuckers..

4. That's my plan as of now. I spoke to my neighbor (I live in a condo complex) and he has never seen mice in his place. Am I in for a constant battle with these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. If they are allowed to reproduce, you will have a real mess on your hands..not to scare you, but if they migrate to other units, occupants may call an exterminator to find out where they are coming from...you certainly do not want that!!:cop:

6. Could be a vole that snuck in with your compost, or came in from outside to get away from the cold. They look a lot like mice. I've never heard of mice bedding in soil, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't.

Vole - Wikipedia

Sounds more like it with your description of the bulges/mounds in your soil...

7. Awww
    Look at their fluffy wittle faces =3
    So cute!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. They are a nuissance and like a previous poster said it can spread if not handled appropriately. No such thing as a humane mouse trap in the city because you simply hand the problem off to someone else. And I aint driven to the mountains just to make this pea brained rodent live a little longer to be eaten by larger prey... sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  9. I have around 2500 gallons of soil in multiple raised beds. I have had mice in one of my largest beds all winter long. I've killed a few w sticky traps and just today I noticed my chickens killed one in their coop. The only bed that has mice is also mulched w wheat straw. They are attracted to the few wheat seeds left. Same w MBP. Don't feed them! Put out some traps. It's really not a big deal...seedlings are the only thing that is in any real jeapordy.

10. Seedling stage is not the only time problems occur. I have had mice chew through stems thicker than your thumb. Keep traps set if you have mice in your grow area.

PW

11. Best vole or mouse bait there is- popped corn.
    os

12. I'm having mouse problems with a live version of Linux; in my case, I need the mouse.

• Like Like x 1