mounting a fan in a tent.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by joeya28, Nov 21, 2011.

1. how do those of you who use tents mount fans? specifically a larger 400cfm fan. tent frames cant support a fan can they?

2. I have DR90 with 450 Vortex fan attached to the ceiling, also sealed air cooled reflector attached to the same ceiling, no problem. I used zip ties to attach fan to the tent frame (pictures in my grow journal (link in my signature))
    P.S.I do not know anything about no name tents ,there is a good chance they are not design to support such load...

3. As RO76 said, the 'no name' tents that are often found on Amazon or Ebay are usually flimsy. Hydrofarm, HydroHut and Oasis tents are great for grows and can support to weight of a fan!

4. I had a couple ebay tents before that I hung fans from, was sketchy though. But I just used bungy cords and rope. I'll never have a tent again though lol, hanging ANYTHING is a bitch. I just built my own room out of 2x4's and panda and lovin it.

5. I hang my fan from Bungee cords attached to the ceiling, on the outside of the Tent right in front of the vent hole. Then run my ducting inside the tent and to my cool tube.. I only have my carbon filter mounted inside the tent.

6. [quote name='"Beachbound"']I hang my fan from Bungee cords attached to the ceiling, on the outside of the Tent right in front of the vent hole. Then run my ducting inside the tent and to my cool tube.. I only have my carbon filter mounted inside the tent.[/quote]

This sounds like it would be great for cutting down on vibrations, do you have any pics?

7. Sure, Attached are a couple of pics... You can see that I have the ducting going into the vent hole, then I draped a Black Towel from the top of the Tent, folded over the Ducting and Vent Hole, then I clipped it at the bottom to hold it. This eliminates light leaks.

This setup definitely cuts down on Vibration Noise. Now all I hear is the Harmonics of the unit..

Hope it helps :wave:

Attached Files:

8. I mounted mine outside my tent as well, more room in my tent for the girls.

[​IMG]

9. ^^Your cutting your CFM's down by like 1/3 with your ducting like that. I always keep everything straight. A buddy of mine has a meter that measures the CFM's, and we did a bunch of tests. Every turn really effects it.

10. Yep, Straight is great in a perfect world, and I agree, bends effect the CFM's, but these fans are so big, and mine is on a Dimmer.. With it set to half speed, it still really sucks in the tent with negative pressure,,, So I am certainly not being hurt by a couple of bends. Also being able to dial it down really helps with the noise.

11. Yeah I got my 8 inch and 6 inch fans on dimmers as well, and I built my own mufflers. Built em super size lol, both silencers are 5 feet long. But its worth it, my osc fan is now 3x louder then my inline's on the mufflers. I have to feel them to make sure they are on.

12. love reading that! my fan is sooo loud right now. when i switch to the tent i going to build a beefy silencer.

13. and thanks for the pics guys, I think ill be mounting the same way.

14. I built mine the same and its cool, I mean their cool, yr zippers ever break? I seem to go through 2 a grow.

15. Nope haven't had any zippers break. I get the peel and stick zipper they sell at hydro stores and home depot. I love em, so easy. Only thing I regret is not putting up plywood around the frame, would have made it 100x easier to seal, and I could have hung fans and shit off the plywood.