Mountain-grown Marijuana Is More Potent!

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Storm Crow, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Just ran across this at PubMed. It is on hemp, but should hold true for the THC varieties of cannabis. I have divided the abstract into shorter paragraphs for easier reading, but otherwise it's copy and paste. My translation of the text is in italics.

Influence of Altitude on Phytochemical Composition of Hemp Inflorescence: A Metabolomic Approach. (Italy) (full – 2020) Influence of Altitude on Phytochemical Composition of Hemp Inflorescence: A Metabolomic Approach

The phytochemical profiling of hemp inflorescences of clonal plants growing in different conditions related to altitude was investigated. Four strains of industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa L., family Cannabaceae) of Kompolti variety were selected and cloned to provide genetically uniform material for analyses of secondary metabolites (terpenes, cannabinoids, and flavonoids) at two different elevations: mountain (Alagna Valsesia 1200 m ASL) and plains (Vercelli Province 130 m ASL).

They looked at how altitude would affect the chemical composition of clones from 4 hemp strains. 1200m = 3937 feet; 130m = 426.5 feet.

Environmental conditions influenced by elevation have proven to be important factors inducing variations in hemp inflorescences’ secondary metabolite composition. In fact, all plants grown at altitude exhibited a higher total amount of terpenes when compared with plains counterparts, with β-Myrcene, trans-Caryophyllene and α-Humulene as the main contributors.

The environment is important and plants grown at higher altitudes make more terpenes in their flowers.

A metabolomic, un-targeted approach performed by HPLC-Q-Exactive-Orbitrap®-MS platform with subsequent data processing performed by Compound Discoverer™ software, was crucial for the appropriate recognition of many metabolites, clearly distinguishing mountain from plains specimens.

Using our equipment, we could easily tell the difference between mountain and plains-grown cannabis.

Cannabidiolic acid CBDA was the most abundant phytocannabinoid, with significantly higher concentrations in the mountain samples. The metabolic pathway of CBGA (considered as the progenitor/precursor of all cannabinoids) was also activated towards the production of CBCA, which occurs in considerably 3 times higher quantities than in the clones grown at high altitude.

Here's where you could get "lost"- pay attention to the letters! :confusedalt: CBDA was higher in mountain-grown plants, so you'd get a higher CBD level. Meanwhile, the CBGA in the plains plant was turned into CBCA and not CBDA. Now CBGA is the "mother" of all cannabinoids, including THC. Hemp is genetically programed to make CBD, while "marijuana" makes THC- both from CBGA! So mountain-grown "marijuana" clones should have a higher THC than their plains-grown sisters!

Isoprenoid flavones (Cannaflavins A, B, and C) were correspondingly upregulated in mountain samples, while apigenin turned out to be more abundant in plains samples.

Again, higher altitude = higher levels of cannaflavins which are neuroprotectants.

The possibility to use hemp inflorescences in pharmaceutical/nutraceutical applications opens new challenges to understand how hemp crops respond in terms of secondary metabolite production in various environments. In this regard, our results with the applied analytical strategy may constitute an effective way of phytochemical profiling hemp inflorescences.

If we are going to use cannabis as medicine or food, we need to understand what environmental factors do to its chemical composition.

So unless you are a pharmaceutical company wanting CBC for some specific medical purposes, as a rule, mountain-grown is the way to go! :GettingStoned:

Granny :wave: (living the good life at just under 4,000 feet!) :Love-Plant:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Interesting, thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. The higher you grow.. the higher you get

• Like Like x 3
  4. I knew I should have moved to the mountains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. if we could somehow disassociate " marijuana" with cannabis that would be great ... for example calling THC laden plant marijuana.. that is our Government brainwash talking through the people

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Just another reason for me to move to the mountains and grow my own... Seriously I love mountains and am saving up to live there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. That's why wizards and kung fu masters live up there

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So I read a very similar piece in a book I bought way back when I was 13 during my first grow, ( when I thought blowing shotguns on my plants would increase potential potency)
    Man I can’t remember the name maybe some one knows it so the author gets the credit.
    It has a magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat on the front cover.

any ways he had a theory of doing gorilla grows in suburban areas just up in all the random oaks and maples in random spots thinking no one would ever look up and see a plant growing 50 feet up a tree. This guy was legit he had a plumbing system a way to camo it and all.
    but another theory of his was that the higher altitudes increases the amount of uv radiation the plant is exposed to which then he says that the plant being resinous in nature produces more resin to “protect” like sun block, its self.
    How ever, that could only ring true to the OPs post not in a tree. 50’ is nothing when it comes to atmosphere reducing uv at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just another excuse to find our paradise in the Smokey’s :)

• Like Like x 1