Mountain Bikers Unite!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by dropinbiking, Jan 14, 2013.

1. My buddy uses a vdo m4--- whatever. It was a bit tweaky in setup, but has worked well since.
    I use this cateye
    CC-ED400 | CATEYE

Been very durable and easy setup. Maybe look at a wireless if you're on fs.

2. Strava and a smartphone. Best cycle computer ever. Strava plays nicely with a lot of other hardware and apps.

3. image.jpeg I've been riding religiously for almost 10 years now... Pic is of my 15' Giant Anthem... I dont know what life would be like without slicing through some trees a few times a week

• Like Like x 4
  4. For once, I didn't check my wheels for flats
    before I took off and it bit me in the ass.

The bike was sluggish on the trail and
    eventually I wrapped the rear inner
    tube around the rear axle.

Had to hike this heavy ass bike back to
    the car, which was over a mile away
    at that point. It sucked.

Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse
    to change out rear tube for a self sealing
    one anyway. It just ruined my ride, is all.

5. On a bright note, my seed just started to sprout a taproot,
    So tomorrow I plant. This is the last of my purchased seeds too
    so I'm looking forward to growing it.

After that it's all the seeds I got when one of my plants turned hermie.

6. #186 Rainy Daze, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Dude I've gotten flats 2 rides in a row now myself I carry extra tubes (no tubliss either) but damn what a pain problem is all these black locust trees around here with their thorns. But hey there's always another day for another ride!!

7. Bought a Kevlar tire today.
    I've also got a Slime Tube
    to go with it.

I'm hopefully pretty Bulletproof.
    I'll pull off the back wheel and
    fix it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. @Blix
    hay bud have you gave the rim a twice over? just saying. if I had a tube go on me more then twice i'd look at everything.

-----------------

did my first fall bike ride yesterday. brought out a rough rolled cone and went through some construction zones and bush paths and fucked with some Canadian geese.... little buggers had this gravel grade sectioned off with two guards up top looking out for the 5 below. well its going to be stair case for a secondary path and you cant see the bottom until your committed. luckily all them shitters were at the side and made for a good skid turn.

and ya my rear brakes I have no pads left I have the caliper bottomed out and the servo as tight as it will go, but no more pad. oh well I need to have the rotors faced or replaced to. whish I got a through axle bike for a 29'er the quick releases are absolutely destroying the bike frame, and rotors. it's unfortunate but it's a 3 and half year old tourer serving out urban mtb duty with a 120mm ,from 80mm, fork. problem with the rear is the drive side axle has eaten its way into the drop out giving me maybe a 3-4 degree angle to the left messing with the rotor/pads and I lean the bike to the right by about that much hands free lol.

just havnt been biking that much lately. I need like a week off to get in biking shape and go to a bike trail I haven't been to in a while. magic is just lost as i'd rather be teching over roots, longs, rocks then biking down a path.

9. finally changed out my rear brake pads I had them wore right down to the welds. along with that I got my rear tire trued up and my bike is working pretty good again.

10. so anybody out in the snow yet? I got a light dusting tonight and I got to say it looks beautiful out there, but ya its cold for that shit.

man I'm wanting to give single speed a go on my mtb. I busted out the math, and with my drive train beat, it'd be far cheaper to go single speed then it would be to get a new chain rings, chain, and a cassette. but see I don't mind losing the top speed but its the low gearing that I like for cruising around the streets on. :GettingStoned:

11. Went for a crisp fall ride yesterday. I set myself a goal of 1000 miles this year and I'm currently at 968 miles. It's warmer today, so I'll probably get out again this afternoon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Another unseasonably warm yesterday, so I went out for lunch.

[​IMG]

979 miles this year... goal is 1000. Easy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. went on my first ride in almost 2 months yesterday! felt so fucking good to be back. hoping to get back out there this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  14. Damn dude that is one nifty set up you got going on there. :apache:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Thanks. It's a 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8. I got a great deal from Trek on a warranty claim on a cracked frame.
    X-Caliber 8 | Trek Bikes

16. mawh ha got some deep snow time to throw on the kenda claw 29" mt mud tires again.

albeit my bike is worn down. my front mech cable broke, along with the disc pads wearing down to nothing. so I took off the front caliper and shifter. and have just been running with a rear brake and using the 1st to 4th cog on the sprocket. I guess if I wasn't so lazy i'd adjust my front mech to the 2nd chain ring and do some 1x8 action but meh i'll stick to the 22t chain ring as I like going slow. specially in the deep snow I hardly need the 2nd or less so the 3rd chain ring as anything faster just wastes energy.

but hey bike on

17. man we easily got 8 inches of snow and I want to bike through it... but hell its -20c outside just no fun there.

gotts to get my mudding tires put on too

18. nice! I like this

19. I was looking at frames again today( realising my current rig is pushing 5yrs) and seen that nuke proof has there 2018 scout 290 frame out already. it's boost spec rear end and allows for a 2.8" tire clearance. I was going to go for the ragley big wig being pretty much the same design sept for the chain stay mounted caliper and being steel. dam guess I got a new number 1. but that caliper mount, hmm... I was planning on building a clean SS hardtail and the caliper would stick out like a sore thumb being out of the triangle

IMG_20170929_113115090[1].jpg my dads old bike (from 98?) that I use for back up. an old 26"er side pull 12 speed, aka sketch balls because my main bike has crisp brakes where as sketch balls you got to pull for your life and the difference in geometry. my bike I'm leaning forward and sketch your in a straight up position like your riding a woman's cruiser not so assuring when in the snow with a street/at slick on the front. but it is old reliable with no issues 95% solid -5% for a bent pedal

20. I wouldn't ride that bike with the side pull brakes at all. Plastic pedals. Enough said.