Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mould or Trichomes?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by greenpringles, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Hi there, first time poster and I know there are probably a bunch of these threads, but if anyone has a second, do you know if this is Mould or the good stuff?

IMG_1241.png
    IMG_1242.png

2. I don't see any mold. I think what you're seeing is an abnormally large growth of cystoliths. Mold will grow in a clump that obscures the bud under it. Did you cut that bud in half with a razor?

3. Thanks for the reply, hopefully it's what you say it is. I've had stuff go mouldy before and this doesn't really look like that but you can never be too cautious. I just opened it up with my hand, why do you ask?

4. Looks like mold to me....look at the fuzzies on that stem.

5. In the picture the stem looks cut down the middle so I asked. Those fuzzies are not mold. They are plant hairs that has grown inside the bud away from light. I've seen that many times and the first time I thought it may be mold but in that picture they look nothing like mold.

6. Hey Cactus, thanks for the reply again. Bit of an update and a little more info..

I've got a clear shot of these hairs that look an awful lot like trichomes, all over the buds, before posting all this in the first place we did smoke a little, it was really harsh and we felt really high, we seem ok so far haha I suppose that's a good sign?

Perhaps it was harvested super early and it's still growing?

Thanks again and we appreciate your help and feedback. :)

IMG_1245.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. What a weird picture. I can't see a mat of fungal threads but it sure looks hairy. If there are threads that go from one structure to another and look like cotton candy it's mold, if each hair is attached to only one structure it isn't mold. I suppose if you magnify anything it will become unrecognizable and lighting sometimes makes trichs look different but are you sure those white spots are trich "crystals"? You can probably tell much better in person than I can from a picture. Anyway, if you're still unsure maybe it would be safest to toss it.

8. Yeah, might be best to just toss it..

Thanks for all your help

9. Sure, but I still don't think it's mold.

10. Those are not trichomes in that last pic sorry to inform you. While I have seen white powdery mildew in different fashions, none like what you've got there but that's definitely some sort of fungus contaminated bud. It now needs to be discarded.

11. Toss it, looks unhealthy some sort of odd fungus. Sucks but better safe then dead

12. yea looks like fungus not Trichomes ,,throw it away..mac..

13. I would definitely have second thoughts before ingesting that. Doesn’t look like it would treat your lungs well.

Good catch though, pretty hard to see.

14. #14 DrDizzle, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    I concur definately some kind of parasitic flora, almost 100 percent sure it's a form of botrytis!

Attached Files:

15. What do you see that makes you so sure it's botrytis vs some other variety of mold?

16. #16 DrDizzle, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    It's the gray strands Cactus, it's those damn grey strands! Every time I have seen them head they create those white balls, the pic I showed above, I believe is a great example of it, unfortunately Pringles is more of an extreme example, but realistically due to its nature, composition, color, and the fact that a form of Botrytis is the primary form of contracted fungal infection found on most plants, it's highly likely to be botrytis!

17. Thanks. I was assuming those white balls were actually trichs and it was a bit out of focus. I've seen them look like that in other pictures sometimes but I just looked at Botrytis in plants other than cannabis and saw the white balls so I agree with you, it's Botrytis. Always learning