MOTR Light Comparative: hid, cmh, qb

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MomOnTheRun, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Time to get this journal started :p

I have been curious about the Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH) lights many here rave about though it was a bit out of my price range and didn't really understand the conversion kits then ran across Tbones thread on the 120 Quantum Boards (QB's) that fit my budget better. I have been impressed with them especially in my 2x3x4 cabinets though still curious about the cmh's even though the Qb's have been kicking ass.

Knowing I needed another light, I decided to buy more QB's to cover 30w per square foot as heat can be an issue when I turn my household heat on (in floor radiant heat) until I grew Laughing Buddha......she quickly got away from me and had some penetration issues with the Qb's for as big as she got and wished I had her under the hid. Back to the drawing board, I investigated the CMH's more, asked around watching grows with them and realized there was nothing really to understand about the conversion kits...... hood, cmh ballast, cmh light socket and cmh bulb. This was doable so I pulled the trigger.

I looked at other light comparatives..... some were abandoned, some had different strains under each light, some had 1 strain under each light though used different seeds, some battled 100f temps, some battled high humidity etc....... none really fit the bill and led to more questions. So I decided to do my own comparative for my unique environment: -20f winters, 80f summers, high humidity in the fall and spring, low humidity in the summers, bouncing around from high to low through the winters, household heat turned on from September through April, the grow room is on a North facing exterior wall and handmade cabinets so I can lock them up.

Anyhow, I have been working on getting this going for the last 2.5 months starting with germinating 3 Cackleberry regular seeds, sexing then cloning the best girl........
    week 1 seedling copy.jpg week 2 seedling copy.jpg week 3 veg copy.jpg week 4 sex copy.jpg week 5 sex copy.jpg week 6 cloning copy.jpg week 7 sexing copy.jpg week 7 cloning copy.jpg week 8 cloning copy.jpg

And here they are today on day 58 from seed.....

June 2nd (17).jpg June 2nd (18).jpg June 2nd (19).jpg

I can only grow these as big as the 2x3x4 QB cabinet will allow so they will be put in 5 gallon fabric pots come transplant time. Having "extra" room, I decided to add in the new auto comparatives in 3 gallon plastic pots.....1 under each light as I am sure i'll undoubtedly wish I had come this fall

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. The contenders......
    20180602_120737 copy.jpg 20180602_120842 copy.jpg 20180602_120922 copy.jpg

The space......
    20180602_120809 copy copy.jpg 20180602_121217 copy.jpg 20180602_120934 copy copy.jpg

As you can see, the cmh hood is waaay oversized for the 3x3 cabinet, the hid fits better and Blue Cheese is still flowering under the qb's...... I was hoping she would be done by now though can't rush perfection ;) To overcome this current challenge, I put the plants in with Purple Narwhal and Niceguy for the time being - they should be ok for a week or 2. If not, i'll have to fashion up another space as I have 3 more qb's not being used at the moment.

Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Brilliant thread MomOnTheRun! I've subbed up to see what happens. Best of luck in this and future endeavors!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thanks Mom
    Nice Comparative JournaL!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. You have about the same conditions I do in my northern climate. I’ll stick around for the results

• Like Like x 3
  6. Welcome! :smiley-rolling-joint:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Day 5 since clone; 59 days total
    June 3rd (3) copy.jpg June 3rd (5) copy.jpg June 3rd (8) copy.jpg

Day 2
    June 3rd (1) copy.jpg June 3rd (4) copy.jpg June 3rd (6) copy.jpg
    June 3rd (2) copy.jpg June 3rd (7) copy.jpg

The Qb auto's are starting to stretch a bit so I raised them up so they are 12" away from the light instead of 18"

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Day 6 since clone; 60 total
    June 4th (3) copy.jpg June 4th (5) copy.jpg June 4th (11) copy.jpg

Day 3
    June 4th (1) copy.jpg June 4th (4) copy.jpg June 4th (8) copy.jpg
    June 4th (2) copy.jpg June 4th (9) copy.jpg

I think I saw BS under the 400w hid wanting to peek through... if she is and not a piece of perlite, i'll have to drop counting days so I can keep the grouping together - we'll see tomorrow.

Also, I am going to cut up a straw for support for the stretched ones under the qb's before they fall over. I think next time I try auto's, i'll germinate them in solo cups 1st so if they stretch I can bury them

• Like Like x 5
  9. Whelp, it turned out to be a piece of perlite.....brushed away the dirt with an old paint brush and found the seed.....
    June 5th (5) copy.jpg
    Put it back in the soil to give it a couple more days as it looks like it wants to crack....if not thats ok - can't expect 100% germination all the time ;)

Day 4
    June 5th (1) copy.jpg June 5th (4) copy.jpg June 5th (11) copy.jpg
    June 5th (2) copy.jpg June 5th (12) copy.jpg

Day 7 since clone; 61 total
    June 5th (3) copy.jpg June 5th (6) copy.jpg June 5th (10) copy.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Definitely watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 4
  11. Welcome! :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Nice spread sheet! I know that took you some time. Very nice!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks GG! Sure helps keep it straight :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Day 5
    June 6th (1) copy.jpg June 6th (4) copy.jpg June 6th (6) copy.jpg
    June 6th (2) copy.jpg June 6th (7) copy.jpg

Day 8 since clone; 62 days total
    June 6th (3) copy.jpg June 6th (5) copy.jpg June 6th (10) copy.jpg

When lights come back on, all girls are getting a nutrient feed of: 1tsp Bio Root, 1tsp Diamond Black & 1/4 tsp Protekt per gallon water

• Like Like x 4
  15. Day 6
    June 7th (1) copy.jpg June 7th (4) copy.jpg June 7th (6) copy.jpg
    June 7th (2) copy.jpg June 7th (7) copy.jpg

Day 9 since clone; 63 days total
    June 7th (3) copy.jpg June 7th (5) copy.jpg June 7th (8) copy.jpg

The clones need to be put in larger pots though the tea did help.......BC still isn't done yet so to buy some more time, I am transplanting them into 2qt pots today.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Day 7....... Gave up on the BS HID - BD QB somehow released herself from the tie finding her flopped over so propped her back up....probably from the fan blowing on them
    June 8th (4) copy.jpg June 8th (7) copy.jpg June 8th (9) copy.jpg
    June 8th (5) copy.jpg June 8th (10) copy.jpg

Day 10 since clone; day 64 total..... all transplanted into 2qt pots
    June 8th (27).jpg June 8th (28).jpg June 8th (29).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  17. The idea with tying the young plant with a pipe cleaner is genius! Thanks for sharing this terrific idea!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. I guess your last name isn't Couch. LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Gotta use what you have ;)

No, no it isn't :lmafoe: Now the youngest is back from summer camp, we get to finish the clubhouse he has been working hard on though 1st I am finishing my wishing well pipe cover.......

Clubhouse
    101_1019.JPG 101_1029.JPG IMG_20170723_152209.jpg IMG_20170723_214418_1.jpg

Wishing well pipe cover
    20180607_192955.jpg 20180609_095629.jpg

There is at least one project or another to do :p

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1