Motivation

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Rayne Xero, Oct 6, 2016.

1. I've been trying to motivate myself to get things done lately, but nothing reallybworks. How do you guys get yourselves motivated?

2. I was gonna say it takes a whole re-alignment of your mindset and there's no shortcuts or easy tricks or anything. But, just as someone who has been where you are, there is a little trick I used to use when I was younger. It's goofy, and explaining it is a bit of a ramble,

but it did work for me, and I still have to call on it from time to time. It was when I was in my early 20's, a time in my life when I was forcing myself to do shit that I knew would make me more confident, typically stuff where I had to face physical danger (stuck with mountainbiking and brazilian jujitsu and recommend the fuck out of both if you have some confidence issues which is typical of lacking motivation)
    So, I had read a bunch of these books with emperors and frontline journalists and samurai duelists and all kinds of brave folks. Important part of the trick, you have to have heroes, people you look up to and aspire to be like, in whichever way they have impressed you. I would do this thing when I got nervous, or frustrated, or demotivated, could be anything, could be before asking a strange chick out, could be while looking at a job I wanted, or an exam I knew was hard and would take a lot of studying, could be right before a grappling match in front of a bunch of people, right before a drop with straight falls on either sides. Anything that gave resistance.
    Alright, so, the roman nobles way back when, they had ancestors rooms, a room in the house they grew up in with death masks of all their ancestors who had done badass shit. Like a little temple room in their house. So they'd go in there to get pumped up, basically, look up at the dead consuls and praetors and generals, there was a culture to outdo your dead ancestors, so your sons could strut around the Forum in Rome with your last name and be all my dad out-generaled your dad on the battlefield, motherfucker wut. The more badasses you had tied to your family name who had done great things for the country, the heavier your cock was in the Senate, basically, the more imperium you could flex. The Julian family (Julius Caesar), the Scipian family (Scipio Africanus), the Martian family (Gaius Martius), these families are among hundreds of lesser fame that ruled shit for centuries in the Republic, Game of Thrones style.
    So this ancestor room was a way for them to get motivated, pumped up, psyched up, ready to achieve for mother Rome and reap that status and glory. In turn this culture fuelled a meritocracy that kicked ass and took names for a thousand years.
    I'd do the same thing, with the people I had read about and liked, or met and respected. Each time I felt a twinge of 'I'm not gonna do this today' or 'I'm too scared of the consequences of taking this chance'. I'd close my eyes, and put myself in a room. Like a totally black room with a little spot of light with me in it, surrounded by the ranks of people who had marched at the heads of armies and denounced lies under threat of death and reported on atrocities with missiles flying overhead, shit like that, sitting above me like judges in a cartoon, all around. And they'd give me this look, not even saying a word, like, bitch, are you being serious rn?

And I'd be yeah no yeah ok ok this isn't shit

and get it done, and each time I sunk in a choke or got paid or landed a drop or got my dick sucked or passed an exam, I'd feel a little bit of approval from the ghosts of long-dead heroes,

which in turn has put me in a great place in life.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Im putting your avatar on my cartoon judge wall.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cold showers and meditation

• Like Like x 1

5. Death motivates me. Ancient monks, where they meditated had skulls around, to remind them of their own mortality. Memento mori. Be mindful of death.

Treat ANYTHING like it's your last time ever doing it.

6. That is true, but on the contrary, some people would say because tomorrow could be their last day, what is the point?if you think you'll die young, you'll probably do reckless, shortsighted things

• Like Like x 1
  7. ABSOLUTELY. And to quote the Dead Boys:

"Ain't it fun
    When you know you're gonna die young?
    It's such fun...
    Such fun."

8. I usually just take a few deep breaths and think about my life up to this point as if it were a book. Then I think to myself so far it's great. Do I really want to end it with. "And he sat on the couch and ate pizzaronies, the end...."

Then I just let my mind go blank for a few seconds
    Then mentally I think " let this saga continue! Then I peel myself off the couch and try and get things done weather it be a build project on a vehicle.
    Clean the house.
    Start brainstorming for some possible Sci-fi novels/ short stories that usually end stored on a jump drive and chucked in a drawer lol ( I write a lot when I got nothing better to do) trust me when you struggled with dislexia as a child you gotta keep up on your writing and stuff lol.

Or even shoveling the huge loafs my American bull left me in the yard.
    Everybody motivates themselves differently mine just involves my need to let my life story continue.

Now I want pizzaronies....

9. It's always been hard for me. I think it makes it easier to break things down and make lists, that way I have a visual representation of what I need to do. Also for me, a nice clean atmosphere can have a surprisingly motivating effect (music, lit candles, clean home)

10. Kill your fat cells with exercise. Laziness is a disease of the past, so don't let it keep you there dwelling on when your "luck" is gonna turn around. Motivate yourself to get the results you want. There are no excuses for this.